Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange weather

Options
  • 30-01-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Good evening from Bulgaria. It is currently -20C outside and the sky is clear. Now the strange thing, there is stuff falling from the sky like shards of glass. I certainly don't think it is snow, looks more like frost.

What could it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Diamond dust.....had it here December 2010....*breaks down in tears*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Diamond dust.....had it here December 2010....*breaks down in tears*
    Yes that's the stuff.

What is it? What causes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I'm jealous of your exciting wintry weather :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll hazard a guess its frozen fog???
    Seeing as non frozen fog is a ground level cloud, I assume frozen fog is a ground level snow cloud where the water vapour is freezing into tiny sharp crystals but there is no journey down to earth where the ice crystals would normally clump together to form snowflakes on their way down.

Thats my guess. Am I right experts??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Where my name came from :D , sounds like it alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Diamond dust is single ice crystals that form out of water vapour in clear cold air below around -20 °C, although I did witness it here in December 2010 at around -12 °C (probably because of increased water vapour levels in the air here).

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Had something similar here last night. Pretty stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yep Diamond DUst indeed! ... Had LOADS of it while up in Sweden , was very surreal as it can fall even in clear skies! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, indeed. There was not a cloud in the sky and it was falling constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have seen this many times in Ontario, if you get some calm wind conditions, watch for columns of light that you can see in the ice crystals.

That 1067 mb high over Russia is extraordinary, there could be some nasty static electricity problems with that, hope the infrastructure holds together.

Advertisement