Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop Closing Down

Options
  • 30-01-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I ordered two bridesmaid dresses at the beginning of January and they are due in around the beginning of March. Today I found out by accident that the shop is now closing around the end of February. I have paid half of the cost of the dresses as deposit.

My query is what kind of rights do I have when it comes to getting my money back? I want to call into them and was wondering what approach would I take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A lot will depend on how they are closing down. You will need to find out if they are going into liquidation etc.

Call into the shop and find out what's happening. They well be able to complete your order before they close.

Did you pay the deposit by credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I paid by laser card.

I only found out as they rang a friend of mine who ordered her wedding dress from them. The girl said she didn't want her to find out about the closure from other people.

I know that wedding dresses may come as priority, but if they are ringing customers, surely I should also have received a call by now? Based on that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them telling me they could complete the order before the shop closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I wouldn't get in a panic. If they are plannign to close, then it won't be a liquidation situation as if it was, then it would be very serious leaglly for the operator.

Maybe give them a call and ask them about it. Its possible they just haven't got around to contacting you just yet and if they are telling their customers they are closing, then its a sign of a good business person who is ensuring that the closure of the store won't affect people.

And whilst planning for a wedding is stressful, please please don't start accusing the shop of doing anything underhand - it won't help anyone.

Planning the wedding hasn't been at all stressful, and I'm certainly not accusing them of anything underhanded. I was in the shop last weekend and nothing was said. I just wouldn't feel comfortable waiting for over a month hoping my order is going to arrive and not loosing €185.

Nead21 wrote: »
    Planning the wedding hasn't been at all stressful, and I'm certainly not accusing them of anything underhanded. I was in the shop last weekend and nothing was said. I just wouldn't feel comfortable waiting for over a month hoping my order is going to arrive and not loosing €185.

But why not ring them and ask them - that's the only way you will get a definite answer.

Just say you heard that they were closing - ask them if it true and what is the situation with your order. Its really as simple as that.

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    But why not ring them and ask them - that's the only way you will get a definite answer.

Just say you heard that they were closing - ask them if it true and what is the situation with your order. Its really as simple as that.

If you read my original post, I said was going to call into them, and my query was about rights relating to getting my deposit money refunded. I have never been in this situation before and like to have to proper information in case it came to requesting a refund.

Luckily, they will be completing my order before the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You have aright to get what you paid for. If you had paid by Credit card and the shop couldnt provide you dresses you would get a chargeback from your credit card provider.

If you paid by debit card and the shop cant supply the dresses and refuse to refund you then you'd have to go down the small claims court route.

If the shop went in to liquidation and couldn't refund or supply the dresses, there is very little chance of you getting your money back, you'd have to register your interest with the liquidators but you would be at he end of the queue.

Nead21 wrote: »
    If you read my original post, I said was going to call into them, and my query was about rights relating to getting my deposit money refunded. I have never been in this situation before and like to have to proper information in case it came to requesting a refund.

Luckily, they will be completing my order before the closure.

But that should only be asked AFTER you find out if / when they are closing and what they say.

Very difficult for aby advice to be given without full information - most advice on the thread is very wrong so far.

As it is, you have no right to a refund no matter if the store is closing next week or next month if the store says they will complete and deliver your order by the date agreed. The only way you would be entitled to a refund is if the store says they wouldn't be able to complete the dresses by the agreed date.

Basically, you have a legal contract and unless one party breaks this contract, the contract remains valid.

Advertisement