Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro-futurism books. any ideas?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine showed me a few things online designed by Norman Bel Geddes and I realised I've always been fascinated by old ideas of what the future would be like (which i think is called retro-furturism). The kind of geodesic domes, art-deco, flying cars and living on Mars by the late 70's kind of deal. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good book on this topic? Bit of a tough question I think but It could be a book of artwork or a biography or anything at all really. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I've got a small book "Movements in Modern Art- Futurism" its not great though and is about the Italian art movement of the early 20th century, which though is a lot earlier than the 70's the Futurist movements certainly worth a look though.

se.jpg

Antonio Sant'Elia

Also for the 70's check out Osbourne Childrens educational books

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

If you liked this subject for a while, I would say Arthur C. Clarke may be old hat to you by know.

Arthur C. Clarke Foundationhttp://www.clarkefoundation.org/

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRZebE8O84

Arthur C. Clarke wrote 2001: A Space Odessy maybe the preliminary screenplay The Senitel is of interest too and 2010.

There was a TV series about Mars aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You could try Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, when you consider it was written in the 1950's it made some accurate observations.

It is a novel about American society in the future, maybe not exactly what you are looking for but a great read, especially considering when it was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Are you looking for retro-futurism fiction or non-fiction.

The science fictions magazines were huge in the 1930s, some incredibly large readerships. Arthur C. Clarke would have gotten in his first breaks in these types of magazines & many other giants of the science fiction. HP Lovecraft was also first published in these magazines.

Is this the kind of stuff you are looking for - things written 70 odd years ago writing about what today & the future would be like.

Or it it more artwork from that period about the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Jules Verne perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭pavb2

Is that retro futuristic genre the same as Steampunk?

Advertisement