Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a non-student join a UCC society?

• 30-01-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

I'm very interested in joining the Atheist Society of UCC... can I just walk in "off the street"? I got my degree in NUIG if that would help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Broads.ie wrote: »
    I'm very interested in joining the Atheist Society of UCC... can I just walk in "off the street"? I got my degree in NUIG if that would help...

Strictly you wouldn't be a 'member', and wouldn't be eligible for election to committee positions or anything like that, as you're not an enrolled student paying a capitation fee, but most societies' events are free and open to members of the public. Talks and debates, for example.

It wouldn't be common practice to maintain highly detailed membership lists and hand out membership cards, in other words. I've never heard of a formal 'sign-up' procedure, except to be included on a society's mailing list (wouldn't need to have a student e-mail for that.)

And only students would be able to participate in special events such as trips away where money is claimed back from the University through the Societies' Guild (unless you paid for yourself, natch.)

Advertisement