Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could cut one welfare payment, what would it be ?

• 30-01-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

So were always moaning about welfare and people on the dole in AH, so If you could cut just one payment out of the system alltogether, which one would it be ?

job seekers allowance, college grants, rent allowance etc ?

(Id probably cut them all, but thats how i roll)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Old age pension.

I haven't a hope of living long enough to ever get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Single mothers allowence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Dutch Gold allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

One parent family.

Probably the college grants. So many people who are well off in the first place can get a grant above people who need it more, because the criteria they use to assess is pretty retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Underdraft wrote: »
    Dutch Gold allowance.

so all of them then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

ho ho ho!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

So were always moaning about welfare and people on the dole in AH, so If you could cut just one payment out of the system alltogether, which one would it be ?

So you're always moaning about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Butler's allowance.

So you're always moaning about it.

im not the only one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

Child benefit, but not for everyone. I think if your children are living outside of Ireland you should not be able to claim for them. For the rest I think it should be means tested and any couple earning more than 120,000 between them should not be in receipt of child benefit.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

just cut them all by 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Rash generalisations about students, single mothers and unemployed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Increase the bear tax. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

mrsbouquet wrote: »
    Child benefit, but not for everyone. I think if your children are living outside of Ireland you should not be able to claim for them. For the rest I think it should be means tested and any couple earning more than 120,000 between them should not be in receipt of child benefit.:o
    Why should children get anything? They dont pay any tax. Let the people who want little clones pay for their own little darlings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Rent allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Any allowance that allows never worked a day in their life, feckless and couldn't care less parents have 10 kids who will never be able to get a chance in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Increase the bear tax. Problem solved.

What have you got against bears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Increase them all. We get into so much debt we default and they write off our debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Job seekers for anyone who wears baseball caps.

Mandatory hat hair testing will be required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Single parent benefits in some circumstances. Some folk need a kick up the arse and need to learn the golden rule - "don't have a kid if you can't afford one. I've no doubt there's some out there having kids as a lifestyle choice. Getting their council house, dole and other benefits for nothing. That aspect of welfare needs to be looked out. Easier said than done of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I wouldn't cut any of them, but I'd stop giving free buggies and prams to dem foreigners that leave them at bus stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Jaysus, some real misconceptions and warped world view's being exhibited on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Corporate and crony welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The free taxi plates we give nigerians and the extra dole they get over everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vonnjoy

i agree with that one, doctors are getting, all the ***** in parliment are getting it but if they ever decide to cut it, it will be the likes of the poor that will be affected..:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

The dole - its like a really really sh1t holiday. The hours are great but the money is crap!
    My 2 cents:
    1. Dole to be cut after 18 months (JSA) to €50 with food/heat supplements.
    2. Medical card visits to GPs to only cost the tax payer €10 per visit. Fúck 'em. (the GPs)
    3. Non-EU social welfare recipients to be taken off JSA after 12 months. Should not be allowed to marry EU citizen then go on dole and get social housing.
    4. The 70k of people on the dole during the boom and still on it are to be cut immediately.
    5. From the above savings, immediate jobs investment through capital spending programme. This will have a multiplier effect on the economy that will benefit everyone on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I wouldn't really go for cutting allowances....but I would like to see a much more aggressive investigation of people who claim dole and work practically full time on the black market and pay no tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

TheZohan wrote: »
    I wouldn't cut any of them, but I'd stop giving free buggies and prams to dem foreigners that leave that at bus stops.

:D If I had a euro for every time I heard that story, I'd have 42 euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I would cut the jobseekers allowance for people that have been on it more than 2 years, you can be sure these fcukers are not job seeking.

I would also take away the single mothers allowance from some single mothers, the type that have 4 kids from 4 different fathers. There are genuine single mothers out there so they shouldn't be punished like the ho single mothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sindri wrote: »
    Increase them all. We get into so much debt we default and they write off our debt.

And so concludes the opinions of the Greek jury.. :-)

Single mother's allowance and rent allowance should be the tightened up seriously..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No dole for those, who refuse to take a job offered to them by FAS...wait...we are not in Germany, but they should introduce something like that in Ireland, imo

Oh, and with regard to the children's allowance and single mother's allowance.. The Government should bring in a stamp scheme to assure that all that money is spent on food, clothing etc etc... and not on beer and fags. Payment of children's allowance should also be dependent on the child's attendance at school..

T.D.'s €3,500 laundry allowance

Oh, and with regard to the children's allowance and single mother's allowance.. The Government should bring in a stamp scheme to assure that all that money is spent on food, clothing etc etc... and not on beer and fags. Payment of children's allowance should also be dependent on the child's attendance at school..

100% agree, spot on

• Advertisement

Most schools dont cater foe 4 month olds!

lividduck wrote: »
    Most schools dont cater foe 4 month olds!

Well you know what I mean... The Government has a means of making sure that the parents at the very least make sure that the children attend school, so they should make use of this... Certainly doesnt ensure they will do well at school, but it at least assures that they are given a chance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Child benefit

Ir dole for anyone on it more than 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

The poor should be rounded up and ground into food for the middle classes.

Their pyjamas could be recycled to make bunting for the celebrations on Margaret Thatcher's birthday.

Am I doing this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I would make those dirty single mothers pay. Little sluts with their kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Rent allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Councils need to be kicked to get their housing stock into good order, some houses are in an awful state

At the same time, you get one offer and only one and if you are on the housing list and reject a perfectly good council house for no good reason then you are booted off, have you rent allowance cancelled and you are barred for two to three years

And there's no messing like rejecting in Fingal and applying in Dublin City Council.
    If you're barred you are barred nationwide

Pat Kenny show had a young mother from Ballyfermot rejecting a house in Finglas as she knew nobody out there and it was far away.
    How is that an excuse??? Most of the country do not have Dublin Bus. And these days the 40 runs from Finglas to Ballyfermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

i would raise taxes on the working instead of cutting social welfare
    it's the working people who got us into this mess in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Cut off any children on the waiting list for serious medical procedures if their parents don't drive a beemer. That'll sort the economy good and proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dole - for people who bitch about those on the dole but then find themselves unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I hate threads like these, because you always get those who think they know everything and whom look down on people if they receive any SW payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    Dole - for people who bitch about those on the dole but then find themselves unemployed.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Don't be dopey the "Hospital comforts" payment of course.

Or the money handed out to pay for communions, I can't see how that is a necessary expense, or why it should be costly or why its the CWO's job to subsidize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Dole and all associated allowances based on your PRSI stamps and training and education. You never worked you don't get help. You worked, you get help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

rent allowance, its totally pervasive with over half of domestic rents supported by it. creates a total barrier to lower rents nationwide. plenty of nama houses to be used socially. but in no way to be considered permenant. a to be carried out every 8 months or so, recipient must prove they need it and are jobseeking.
    also damage caused by recipient to be paid for by recipient.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement