Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could cut one welfare payment, what would it be ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mawk wrote: »
    rent allowance, its totally pervasive with over half of domestic rents supported by it. creates a total barrier to lower rents nationwide. plenty of nama houses to be used socially. but in no way to be considered permenant. a to be carried out every 8 months or so, recipient must prove they need it and are jobseeking.
    also damage caused by recipient to be paid for by recipient.

Mortgage interest relief too so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

RichieC wrote: »
    The free taxi plates we give nigerians and the extra dole they get over everyone else.

Actually speaking of which, where do all of these African migrants get the money for taxi plates? Genuine question.

In before "from 419 scams".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Rash generalisations about students, single mothers and unemployed in
    You're about five posts too late already..
    Pretty bad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

I don't really have a suggestion for welfare cuts per se, but for those drunken bastards who clog up A&E through their own actions/stupidity should be told to feck off. However, that might lead to their death. So in that case, for anyone who's hammered drunk and wants A&E treatment, they should be whacked with a charge of 1000 Euro (payable over several months and repayments enforced by heavies/judgements).

If they can afford to get legless every weekend (or almost everyday in some case) then they can afford to lay off the drink for awhile to repay the new A&E bill.

And for those drunks who were randomly attacked - get the Garda to investigate and see if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

The dog food allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Inevitably, this thread runs for pages of donkey bollox about slut single mums and Dutch Gold-swilling dolies, and not one person mentions the one welfare payment which not only we should cut to zero, but by doing so would resove much of our economic problems in a single act, a welfare payment which should never have been created in the first place, a payment to which the recipients have no moral, ethical or even legal entitlement.

I am referring of course to the corporate welfare payment to Irish bank bondholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

TD salaries.

Kamjana wrote: »
    The dog food allowance.

Then i'd be down €15 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I'd take the old age pension down from €229/219 to €170/160 and let them keep their freebies.

And I'd take the dole down to 160 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I don't really have a suggestion for welfare cuts per se, but for those drunken bastards who clog up A&E through their own actions/stupidity should be told to feck off. However, that might lead to their death. So in that case, for anyone who's hammered drunk and wants A&E treatment, they should be whacked with a charge of 1000 Euro (payable over several months and repayments enforced by heavies/judgements).

I'm inclined to agree. My wife is a nurse and she takes the view that they have a duty of care for those coming to A&E (but she doesn't always sound 100% convinced). I take the view that (a) hospital staff only have a duty of care to patients who aren't a danger to them and (b) if patients are abusing/threatening/attacking hospital staff they they can't really be all that ill and security should sling them out on their ear.

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

John Player Blue Allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

If they can afford to get legless every weekend (or almost everyday in some case) then they can afford to lay off the drink for awhile to repay the new A&E bill.

And for those drunks who were randomly attacked - get the Garda to investigate and see if that's the case.
    Christmas Eve i had a family member who had to be rushed to A&E and in fairness to the staff who were fantastic they had to deal with a few drunks who were left waiting while people with real needs were seen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

The Mickey Money :D

Make the fathers of the kids pay for their offspring not the state! Maybe just cut the Mickey..... that'd work :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Chasing the Dragon Allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rent allowance

me and my missus are saving like mad to get the money together for a house but cant get rent allowance because i work. meanwhile i look at neighbouring houses that have couples living in them with rent allowance creaming the system and lying in bed while i go to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Manager: I'm sorry, little girl, we don't just put people on TV! Unless of course they're replying to an editorial.
    Lisa: Uh, I am! [Thinking] I'm strongly opposed to.. proposition, uh, 305.
    Manager: You're against discount bus fares for war widows?
    Lisa: Uh.. [fake enthusiam] you bet I am..
    Manager: ["Fair enough" tone] Okay.. Make-up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Does this include corporate welfare payments?

Get rid of those, we could all live happily on the dole :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

With threads like these,
    How can anyone argue that the Irish are not a shower of begruders?

Oh and, i see a theme here. I see a pattern here. Everyone is complaining and suggesting cutting a certain thing. Oddly enough, its always something that doesnt apply to them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

All unvouched allowances for members of the Dail. Also the Seanad, it's just workfare for failed TD's and hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't know that begrudgery is an Irish thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In the twenties Ernst Blythe cut the pension and his name is dirt almost a century later.

The minister who cuts the OAP is very brave one indeed and they will have to face down protests that no minister will ever want to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

LighterGuy wrote: »
    With threads like these,

Oh and, i see a theme here. I see a pattern here. Everyone is complaining and suggesting cutting a certain thing. Oddly enough, its always something that doesnt apply to them :rolleyes:

There is also nearly always a reason it would make them feel better as well, so it's not even a suggestion for the good of the economy. lol

Personally i would look at lowering rent allowance, but only if it meant lower rent levels as well. It is a bit of a safety net for landlords etc and it does up the average rental price on a property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coach343

Two main gripes about the social welfare at the minute:

Firstly, for those people who work a three day week and claim for three days (the dole is based on a six day week). In theory its fine, but for most people who would take home about 350-380 after taxes for five days, would take home a similar amount for working three days due to the reduction in their wage, they no longer pay PAYE and save on PRSI and USC also.

This in turn makes many people apply to work three days, and those looking for work often tell potential employers that they are only available for three days. A friend of mine was recruiting for a four day a week role and a number of applicants told him they would only be willing to work three days.

Where is the incentive to work?????????????????????????????

Secondly, without knowing the exact breakdown. I have been told that a single mother is entitled to €230 per week whilst living alone but if her boyfriend moved in with her, they would only get a combined €188 per week (rough figures). The boyfriend would be entitled to €188 if didn't live with his kid. So if they want to live together, they would loose out on €230. Apologies if the figures aren't penny perfect but a close friend in this situation was telling me so they are fairly accurate if not exact. How can this be right????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Lars1916 wrote: »
    No dole for those, who refuse to take a job offered to them by FAS...wait...we are not in Germany, but they should introduce something like that in Ireland, imo

I'm inclined to disagree because there is the strong probability that people will be forced into this joke of a scheme and continue subsidising private business at no cost to the business.

coach343 wrote: »

Firstly, for those people who work a three day week and claim for three days (the dole is based on a six day week). In theory its fine, but for most people who would take home about 350-380 after taxes for five days, would take home a similar amount for working three days due to the reduction in their wage, they no longer pay PAYE and save on PRSI and USC also.

This in turn makes many people apply to work three days, and those looking for work often tell potential employers that they are only available for three days. A friend of mine was recruiting for a four day a week role and a number of applicants told him they would only be willing to work three days.

Secondly, without knowing the exact breakdown. I have been told that a single mother is entitled to €230 per week whilst living alone but if her boyfriend moved in with her, they would only get a combined €188 per week (rough figures). The boyfriend would be entitled to €188 if didn't live with his kid. So if they want to live together, they would loose out on €230. Apologies if the figures aren't penny perfect but a close friend in this situation was telling me so they are fairly accurate if not exact. How can this be right????????????????????????????????

Part 1, it's 5 days now, after the Budget, IIRC.

Second part, only one gets €188; the other's dole is calculated on that €188, with a shelf of €312 (between the two), again, IIRC.

ETA: It is nuts alright that the welfare system actually discourages the nuclear family.

There is also nearly always a reason it would make them feel better as well, so it's not even a suggestion for the good of the economy. lol

Personally i would look at lowering rent allowance, but only if it meant lower rent levels as well. It is a bit of a safety net for landlords etc and it does up the average rental price on a property.

rent allowance was only lowered very recently

all your points are completely wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Single mothers allowence.

Done

because there is no such allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

darokane wrote: »
    rent allowance was only lowered very recently

Indeed, but no relevant lowering of actual rent prices.

Like i said, i would only lower it if i could think of a reasonable way for the effect of it to be lower rent prices.

Indeed, but no relevant lowering of actual rent prices.

Like i said, i would only lower it if i could think of a reasonable way for the effect of it to be lower rent prices.

the only way that would work is if the local councils brought in rent caps for different areas

• Advertisement

the only way that would work is if the local councils brought in rent caps for different areas

There are caps on rent payable on rent allowance for different areas already though.

ETA: Rates here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Why should children get anything? They dont pay any tax. Let the people who want little clones pay for their own little darlings.

I am against people having kids to sponge but really your statement is ridiculous we need kids for the future of society and sometimes people fall on hard times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mikemac1 wrote: »
    In the twenties Ernst Blythe cut the pension and his name is dirt almost a century later.

The minister who cuts the OAP is very brave one indeed and they will have to face down protests that no minister will ever want to face.
    The Irish Civil War had placed an enormous strain on the nascent Free State, with public spending almost doubling in the previous twelve months. As a result, Blythe was confronted with a projected budget of more than £8 million for the coming year when the national debt already stood at £6 million. He did however fund the Ardnacrusha or Shannon Scheme. But there was widespread criticism when he reduced old-age pensions from 10 shillings to 9 shillings (45p ~57cent) a week.

National debt at £6 million , jaysus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I would like to see Rent Allowance abolished, place the unemployed in repossessed houses and make them pay 40% of their SW on rent.

Landlords are getting away with murder in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Fuel allowance for pensioners,

I could use a top up on me dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

The pyjama wearing recipients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd cut the social welfare we pay to unsecured gamblers in large cowboy banks, who seem to believe that their stupid decisions should be compensated by ordinary people who had f*ck all to do with it.

IMO if you support cutting things like the dole and pensions, payments made to people who do actually need money a lot of the time, but NOT to people who chose of their own free will to get mixed up in something like Anglo Irish Bank, you need to seriously, seriously re-evaluate your priorities.

Millicent wrote: »
    There are caps on rent payable on rent allowance for different areas already though.

ETA: Rates here.

I mean't the maximum rent a landlord could charge in an area depending on dwelling of course
    i know there are rent caps in regards to the amount of rent a person receiving rent supplement can pay but are these adhered to?
    I think not.

I would like to see Rent Allowance abolished, place the unemployed in repossessed houses and make them pay 40% of their SW on rent.

only 40%?

• Advertisement

I mean't the maximum rent a landlord could charge in an area depending on dwelling of course
    i know there are rent caps in regards to the amount of rent a person receiving rent supplement can pay but are these adhered to?
    I think not.

Unless the recipient of the rent allowance pays out of their own pockets, the landlord has to take that maximum or refuse the tenant. Unless they choose to commit fraud and charge the tenant over the rent allowance figure.

Unless the recipient of the rent allowance pays out of their own pockets, the landlord has to take that maximum or refuse the tenant. Unless they choose to commit fraud and charge the tenant over the rent allowance figure.

which is what the majority of RS tenants are doing, That's why i believe rent caps on landlords should be introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

People who overbought their bright shiny new houses in the Celtic Tiger and who are now in negative equity and would give anything to get free of their house and leave the country for a better life would protest that the unemployed paying a small amount of rent for similar houses would be getting a free ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

You get €220 lpa
    A couple together would get €188 + €130 qualified adult plus if they have a child +€30 roughly €340 ish

which is what the majority of RS tenants are doing, That's why i believe rent caps on landlords should be introduced

That's fair enough if it's being abused but how would it be enforced? I'd think it would be a better idea if any landlord accused of doing this could be prosecuted for fraud and/or cut off from any rent allowance payments in the future. If it is widespread, the Department of Social Protection should be protecting their and the recipients' interests.

That's fair enough if it's being abused but how would it be enforced? I'd think it would be a better idea if any landlord accused of doing this could be prosecuted for fraud and/or cut off from any rent allowance payments in the future. If it is widespread, the Department of Social Protection should be protecting their and the recipients' interests.

that would be fair enough but the tenant isnt going to report the landlord, that would mean moving most likely to a less desired area,
    it would be very hard to prove

• Advertisement

that would be fair enough but the tenant isnt going to report the landlord, that would mean moving most likely to a less desired area,
    it would be very hard to prove

Fair point, although records of bank lodgements to the landlord would prove it. Cut out all cash payments.

If a few unscrupulous landlords got caught for it, a lot of the rest wouldn't be too long copping on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

i would raise taxes on the working instead of cutting social welfare
    it's the working people who got us into this mess in the first place
    do you value your life at all? dont ever say that in public:P
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    With threads like these,

No they don't apply to me, as im employed, so i dont get to fiddle me thumbs all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Payments to any member of the travelling community who claimed dole for a one year period between the late 90s to 2008, when we had full employment.

Near on 90% of them according to the figures. Hardly see it as inhumane- they can just move to Britain and let the taxpayer there pay their way, seeing as the Dale Farm episode has shown we can count on the British being too gutless and in fear of the PC left to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Eliminate the tax credit for trade union subscriptions

If you want to join then good for you, I don't see why you should get a tax credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

introduce random drug tests for dole recipients.... tax payers shouldnt be making drug dealers richer. cut the dole if the recipient fails a drug test

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement