Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are leaving cert scripts sorted ?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I mean are all scripts of one school sent to the same examiner or same region or are they all shuffled in some kind of grand center and sent off completely randomly and mixed up all over the country ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Each school is divided into exam centres. Each centre might have 30+ students. Examiners will usually receive a bundle of centres in a row, so s/he might get a whole pile of schools in one particular area or get all of the scripts from one huge school. It depends on the subject e.g. in English, you would get all of the Higher or Ordinary papers from a few schools, but in a less popular subject like Applied Maths, you might get scripts from 20 different schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Serradm

So would going to an exam center in a different region be more advantageous if your'e exam center is very prestigious, cause I know scripts are marked against each other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Scripts are NOT marked against each other. Scripts are marked against the standardised marking scheme. Obviously, if everyone in the centre is an A student, the examiner might have higher expectations, but the marking standard should still be the same. For subjects like Maths, the marking standard is even less open to examiners' expectation.

Bear in mind that any exam centre may not just contain the students who go that school. For example, my school acts as an exam centre for the local Adult education centre and most schools regularly get repeat and external students sitting their exams there.

Go wherever suits you or you are comfortable. Driving miles out of your way because you think it might gain you 5 extra marks out of 400 is crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Believe me, there are no 'prestigious' centres, no matter what anyone's school or business publicity might lead you to believe.
    There are some right shockers in all bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

In a subjective subject like English, scripts are to some extent compared to each other - that's human nature. However, that won't change your grade - an A1 paper is an A1 paper, no matter how you look at it, same with a B or a C. The difference would be minute, it would amount to maybe a mark or two here and there: not a grade changer.

Besides, if you were really worried about comparison, you could just get your paper rechecked. I don't think you even can arrange to sit your exams in a different center, you'll be registered in your school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement