Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<125cc Scooter/Motorbike: What's the best?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,

I turn 16 in 5 weeks. My dad has a lot of motorbikes and I *should* be on the road pretty soon.

I know I have to do the IBT now (How unfortunate) which is €500 odd.

Then insurance, going by Quinn, will be about €600

I don't really want to spend more than €600 on the bike itself, not including the helmet etc.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I should look for?

So far I've seen/liked:

Honda NSR 80,
    Yamaha Aerox,
    Peugeot Streetfighter.

I've seen others but can't remember just now :(

So anyone have anything to add?

Thanks,

Harry :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=VZMfhtKa-wo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Well ive had both the Aerox and the Speedfight.

So going by my personal experience I wouldnt advise you touch a speedfight :P They are useless. Even for a scooter there is no power in them and the majority of them are air cooled where as the Aerox is water-cooled.

The Aerox is a great scooter and looks 10 times better imo. A decent one de-restricted will show about 80-100kph clock speed flat out.

No experience with the NSR's but never heard anything bad about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

Sounds like ye have your '>' backwards :)

less then 125, yea? aerox I think is well regarded, but no idea really.. I know theres an aprilia rs50, and a yam tzr50 too, along the same lines as the nsr, but dont know much bout mopeds/scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Irish Pitbull

Thanks Brembo.

I for got to mention, I'm only going about 10miles a day so I'm not too bothered about comfort :P

Aslong as it doesn't guzzle petrol and has a bit of power :)

Wossack wrote: »
    Sounds like ye have your '>' backwards :)

less then 125, yea? aerox I think is well regarded, but no idea really.. I know theres an aprilia rs50, and a yam tzr50 too, along the same lines as the nsr, but dont know much bout mopeds/scooters

Damn!

This TY business is destroying my brain.

Thanks Brembo.

I for got to mention, I'm only going about 10miles a day so I'm not too bothered about comfort :P

As long as it doesn't guzzle petrol and has a bit of power :)

Well if you go down the scooter route I would highly recommend the Aerox. I reckon €9 or €10 would fill a tank today and used to last me around a week flying around everywhere. If you get bored of it there are loads of mods you could stick on it. Racing clucth's, race exhausts, 70cc kits and so on.

Have you rode a geared bike? Id say you have and you might enjoy a geared bike more buts thats up to you! Twist and go can get boring rather easily :p

• Advertisement

brembo26 wrote: »
    Well if you go down the scooter route I would highly recommend the Aerox. I reckon €9 or €10 would fill a tank today and used to last me around a week flying around everywhere. If you get bored of it there are loads of mods you could stick on it. Racing clucth's, race exhausts, 70cc kits and so on.

Have you rode a geared bike? Id say you have and you might enjoy a geared bike more buts thats up to you! Twist and go can get boring rather easily :p

I was on a Twist'n'Go at about 12 (my YOUNGER cousin's, much to my disgust :P )

I've been learning more on my dad's old DT125, but I don't want to have that for myself as you end up smelling like blue smoke when you get with in 100' LOL...

I think I'll look for a nice Scooter instead of a dirtbike, might go for more of a 'big bike' look tho :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Go with Yamaha from your list

You could also consider the Honda Lead 100cc

Having owned a Peugeot, it was a heap of junk

You want a bike, buy Jap
    Yeah it's a generalization but you won't go far wrong

well if thats the look your looking for how about something like this?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2880803

View2-9505201.jpeg

No clue what there like to be fair but they look kinda like something a bit more powerful :P

Oh and its a 125cc too ;)

Think I'll go with a Scooter, Brembo.

More room for stuff, and less of a struggle with the Boss at home :P (Mother might have other ideas)

I need to do the IBT first don't I?

More room for stuff, and less of a struggle with the Boss at home :P (Mother might have other ideas)

That one I posted is a scooter! (I see what you mean about room tho...) Aerox would be the #1 choice for me anyway!

Havnt a clue about the IBT, a learner permit was good enough when I had a scooter about 4 years ago. Im sure somebody here will have an answer for you tonight or tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Back in my day you passed your car licence and they gave you a scooter licence as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

The Gilera he's posted there has the same storage as a scooter, the "petrol tank" is fake, it's actually the boot and you can fit a lid in there no bother.

Advertisement