Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teacher has snobbish attitude to doing work exp in shop...

• 30-01-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

One of our teachers were telling us a few days ago that a lot of TY's and 5th years are doing their work experiences in shops such as supermarkets. The teacher seemed appalled and actually called the students morons and that working in a shop was a waste of time and that you could not call it experience. She then said that the students that were doing work experience in a shop needed to get a grip and get good placements!

I personally found her attitude to be very snobby. In fact,I strongly dis liked her after she said it. She kinda made it very obvious that she looks down on people who works in shops and she thinks it's a waste of time and I hate snobby people like that,whether they're a teacher or not.She's always going on about how if you don't go to uni then you won't get anywhere in life. I probably will go to Uni,but it's not for everyone! Sure,not everyone is going to want to work in a shop but IT IS experience imo! You get to be good at handling money,interacting with people,it hones your people's skills really!

Was the teacher in the wrong to say this,was she being snobby? Or am I overreacting?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Your teacher is right, work experience lets you experience jobs and situations you can't experience yet because your age and qualifications.

If you want to work in a shop do it in your own time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are highly unlikely (while doing TY work experience) to be allowed handle cash. You'll be stacking shelves.

Your teacher is right, find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 biolog.ie

It's snobby to say that working in a shop is not good enough or that those who work there are morons. Nevertheless, TY is a good opportunity for students of all varieties of academic ability to get a placement in a place that they would otherwise not be qualified for. You can get a summer job in a shop and expereince it then. It would be a lot more difficult to get a summer job in a laboratory, for example. Therefore, your teacher is right - use TY placement to experience something you may not otherwise have the opportunity to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

It's not snobby, it's common sense. Look for work experience in an area close to what you are interested in studying in college/the career you want to pursue. It's lazy to just go down to the local shop and spend a week there doing menial tasks when you could be getting a hands on insight into the job you could be doing for the rest of your life.

This is different to part time work that you might have on weekends or over the holidays. It's supposed to help you make up your mind on what direction you might like to take academically and professionally. Don't waste it.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

She's snobby at all, just realistic.

But hey, if people want to do their work experience in Dunnes they can go right ahead. Maybe it will give them an insight into what the rest of their lives will be like stuck in a dead end job.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

A few of my friends did their work experience in shops when they were in TY. Basically they got shown how things worked on the first day and for the rest of the week the shops got free labour out of them. They didn't do any interacting with people, they were all stuck in the back rooms sorting through stock, putting price labels on things, jobs like that. Your teacher's attitude may have been snobby, but she is right, it's a waste of time doing your work experience in a shop. There were 3 TY classes in my year, and in my class the teacher co-ordinating my class's work experience didn't let anyone get work in a shop, because she wanted everyone to experience something that you wouldn't just get as a part time job. It really does make sense when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement