Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home contents insurance

Options
  • 30-01-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I previously took out home contents insurance in a previous tenancy, an apartment. Thankfully I never had to claim, but did when a camera was stolen when I was back living at home.

I hope to move into a 2-bed house with my wife soon but most of the places we visit are without alarm systems, but I always check to ensure that windows at least have locks.

I can't remember if that was a major issue with insurance companies and haven't been able to get far enough online to get a premium estimate for my situation.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

I work in insurance and different companies have different underwriting criteria-I'd suggest making a few calls as the websites aren't always as informative

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have gotten contents insurance in my last two places without any hassle and neither have alarms. Shouldnt be an issue I shouldnt think. Dont know how it affects the price of the premium but I think mines only €100 or something for the year so it wont hurt it too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

asomeday wrote: »
    I work in insurance and different companies have different underwriting criteria-I'd suggest making a few calls as the websites aren't always as informative
    But I'm/we're insurable ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you're renting you should probably be seeking tenant's insurance rather than home contents. Slightly different product, with fewer restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I haven't seen that anywhere. How does it differ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

sarkozy wrote: »
    I haven't seen that anywhere. How does it differ?

Tenant's insurance only covers YOUR property, as opposed to all of the contents of the apartment/house. It can be a cheaper options, as often you're only insuring your clothes/electronics/personal possesions as opposed to all of the furniture/white goods. The landlord should already have insurance covering the structure and the furniture/items that are supplied.

If you google "tenants insurance Ireland" you'll find a few options.

Most companies will give you a discount if there's an alarm, but won't preclude you from getting insurance if there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I'm with no nonsense for contents insurance (I rent a 3 bed house). When filling out the online form there is a question about whether you own or rent.

Only cost €63 for the year.

Before that I was with FBD ( I know they are the same company technically) again they were fine with me renting.

I dont have an alarm either.

HTH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you intend living in the property for a while, and your contents are quite valuable, ask the landlord if they'll go halves with you on an alarm. I did this in one house and the landlord was only too delighted to get it alarmed for half the cost. By rights you should get a better premium, and of course better security.

AXA do tenants insurance btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

While it's great to get a discount for having an alarm, it's worth noting that the insurance is void if you get burgled and the alarm is off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Absolutely. Gotta turn it on even if you're just strolling as far as the shops. It also has to be certified, the ones you can buy in a DIY shop won't cut it. Make sure you check what certification your insurer needs and your fitter fits to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

dahamsta wrote: »
    It also has to be certified, the ones you can buy in a DIY shop won't cut it. Make sure you check what certification your insurer needs and your fitter fits to.

Agreed! The websites I looked at offered a discount if you had a xyx certified whatever alarm. Presumably lying about this to get a discount would invalidate the insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

sarkozy wrote: »
    asomeday wrote: »
    But I'm/we're insurable ...

I'm not sure if this was a question or a statement...but it has been answered by others in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭altor

rcdk1 wrote: »
    While it's great to get a discount for having an alarm, it's worth noting that the insurance is void if you get burgled and the alarm is off.

Also if you have an EN50131 alarm installed and are claiming for it, then the alarm needs to be serviced every year to maintain this standard. If it is not then you are claiming for something you don't have.

Advertisement