Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-library study areas?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 1:18am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if there are any study areas, reading rooms, or general vacant rooms that can or are used for study.

I ask because I often have books from the local libraries and for whatever reason they set off the UCD libraries' alarms. It's become a pain to say the least going through bags, having to hand stuff to security and then go through unless I only have 1 or 2.

There was a big vacant room in Newstead (one of the nice f rooms)to few times I've been over there, and it would be a perfect reading/study room, but I doubt its always vacant for such use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you're a postgrad, there's a nice room on the first floor of arts, above the library tunnel area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Raphael wrote: »
    If you're a postgrad, there's a nice room on the first floor of arts, above the library tunnel area.

I am indeed, I'll have a snoop around later to find it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A big F (first floor) room in Newstead? That must be the Landscape Architecture studio, but I've never tried using that for study, it is their workplace after all. The other big room upstairs is a computer lab, which (like the one downstairs) is sometimes booked for classes. There are other G (ground floor) rooms that get used at various times, you just might get asked to move if a class is starting. They're not always quiet since they get used for informal group work too e.g. you might be disturbed by Civil Engineering students arguing about whether an embankment is going to fail or not.

Newstead is about as far from the Student Centre as the Quinn building is. If that's too far for people to walk, hey, that suits those of us who work there just fine ... ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is a specific reading only room in Roebuck, but trek, and those rooms in quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There's a room in the geography corridor in Arts that never seems to have anyone using it, I've studied there a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

first room on your left in the daedalus is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The corner of the SU shop, handy when you get hungry too, don't have to go far.

Advertisement