Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralysis In Hind Legs Of Dog

• 31-01-2012 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My dog (12) has something wrong with him and I was looking for advice and information from vets or people who have had pets experience similar ailments.

My dog's hind legs have become paralysed. He is at the vets now, so I am not exactly sure how he is, I know he is sitting up again. Today his front legs went stiff and his and hind legs became paralysed. He couldn't move. The vet, after nearly 10 hours still is unsure what is wrong with him, yet still hasn't taken any x-rays. I looked up his symptoms on-line and found they were similar to what is called an FCE (Fibrocartilaginous Embolic Myelopathy), and his particular breed are predisposed to suffering from it, and IMO I believe this is what is afflicting him. His kidney's are also supposedly in bad shape and his red blood cell count is down.

From researching on-line I found that sometimes dogs with similar symptoms, (not necessarily the same affliction) sometimes walk again in a few days, and other times it can be a few months. Or sometimes never.

I'm just looking for advice and possible medical explanations and treatments and if I can, any reason to hope that possibly he will walk again.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Hi, just wanted to express my concerns for you and your dog. I don't have any personal experience of this but I do know somebody whose dog became suddenly paralysed in his hind legs and it was a problem with his spine which was operated on by Shane Guerin who is based in Cork and is highly successful in spinal surgeries so keep him in mind if it turns out to be spinal.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Julybreeze wrote: »
    Hi, just wanted to express my concerns for you and your dog. I don't have any personal experience of this but I do know somebody whose dog became suddenly paralysed in his hind legs and it was a problem with his spine which was operated on by Shane Guerin who is based in Cork and is highly successful in spinal surgeries so keep him in mind if it turns out to be spinal.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your concern.

It possibly could be, but the vets aren't doing an awful lot and they still do not know what is wrong with him.

Except I am pretty sure it's something to do with his spine, yet I do not know how competent these vets are. He could feel the vet when they were putting pressure on his rear legs which would seem that his spine is not damaged at the core and means he has a better chance of walking again. But that is only what I found out on-line and I'm still waiting for the vets to actually do something. I've considered getting second opinions or bringing him to a chiropractor or neurologist, as if he needs to be operated on it should be done within 48 hours of his injury. The problem here is the vets don't know what they're doing.

Where are you based? Somebody on here might be able to recommend a vet to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Julybreeze wrote: »
    Where are you based? Somebody on here might be able to recommend a vet to you.

No, it turns out he has two dislocated hips, he was knocked down probably, and he has not urinated yet. If he cannot urinate or if his nerve damaged so much, he will not be able to have an operation on his hips, as he would have no feeling in his legs, and would not have bladder function. Even then the rehab after surgery would be extremely extremely difficult.

We have to wait and see if he urinates. Personally, I'd like the opinion of a veterinary neurologist, they are probably only in Dublin. If anyone knows one please get in touch with me.

Thanks, and thanks Julybreeze for your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sindri wrote: »
    Even then the rehab after surgery would be extremely extremely difficult.

Just on this - my dog has had his 2 legs straightened and had to be crated for 5 weeks each time, only allowed out on lead for 3 loo breaks, restricted exercise until 12 weeks post op etc etc. It's not easy but not impossible. When he was first diagnosed (he has a hock deformity) we were told rehab would be very difficult and tricky too as well as the surgery so they didn't think there was any point. We got a second opinion and they decided surgery was the best option. So if you're not happy with what your vet is telling you get a second opinion - there's nothing to lose!

Anyhoos the poor dog - you must be sick with worry now! :(

• Advertisement

http://http://www.gilabbeyvet.com/neurology.html

Or the UCD veterinary hospital.

Both of these options have orthopaedic vets and neurologist under the same roof, sounds like your dog would benefit from the input of both.

Advertisement