Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornstore

• 23-01-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi, I had a gift voucher for e50 for the Cornstore & we decided to use it for their lunch menu last Saturday. Got to say it was a total disappointment, we had eaten there a couple of times before & thought the place/food over-rated, but after last Saturday never ever again!
    I had a starter of sea-food chowder, no way did it resemble a chowder, more like a tasteless fish stew (bones inc) & 2 slices of brown bread, I ate one slice as the other was stale, couldnt eat the chowder, even though i was starving! we asked for cod, which was to be served with their famous real chips - we were offered plaice instead, again even though we used the salt generously, tasteless & overdone, as for the chips, dont know why they make a big deal out of them - no way near as good as you'd get fish & chips across the road in The Golden Grill. 14.95each for 2 courses, & we had a bottle of white wine. 51.80 the wine (Chilean) wasn't bad & the slice of cheesecake at the end was ok, but it was the kind of food you'd take out of your freezer if someone called to your house & you were stuck - & you'd be apologizing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Did you actively complain to management? Or was it a case of good aul Irish manners?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

No didnt!! I would have but my husband would be too embarrassed if I did, I know that sounds silly, as really The Cornstore staff must have known we didnt enjoy the meal, they took most of it back. Anyway, all was not lost, we went to Bourke's Bar to watch the match after it, that was really nice - & Munster won. Home then for cheese on toast Mmmmm :)

bye the way - the best seafood chowder EVER, The horse & hound Mulgrave st. huge portion & just fabulous 4.50 ( last time i had it, about 4mths ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Agree re The Cornstore monalitto. I've been there a few times and always found it average at best. I could never understand what all the hype was about. Sorry to hear you had such a horrible meal :(

ah thanks Rhubarbcrumble - just wanted to warn others as its so expensive in some places, you'd really want to be getting decent food & value for money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Never be afraid to complain about quality, they're not making a huge loss tossing a crap meal into the bin. Paying for food and complaining about it long after anyone can do anything about it helps no one.

• Advertisement

Always had top quality food when dining in the cornstore - its one of my favorite restaurants

I agree with you Jambo221, yes we should have complained at the time, however I am sharing our experience there on this thread, should anyone be interested in reading it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Agree re The Cornstore monalitto. I've been there a few times and always found it average at best. I could never understand what all the hype was about. Sorry to hear you had such a horrible meal :(

Definitely has fallen from grace.

Won't be going back there either, it's not that hard to do a good steak but the one they served up a few months was shocking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod note: Discussion split from Restaurants/Take-Aways sticky.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

A dive full of Limericks wannabes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

soprano123 wrote: »

REALLY!!!

wow theres an insightful comment..

RE Cornstore... Ive eaten there a good few times and Ive had one bad meal there over a year ago, I had a chat with the manager at the end of the meal and expressed my concerns that the food was not up to standard, he was very apologetic & he waived the food bill, we paid for the bottle of wine and cocktails we had.

Weve been back 4 0r 5 times since and the food has been excellent.

OP if you dont complain, they wont know what the problem was, you end up disillusioned with your experience and never go back...

I had a really bad meal one night over christmas in Limerick, different restaurant, same outcome and many apologies...it wont stop me from going back there tho'.

If your not happy, for crissakes COMPLAIN...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

soprano123 wrote: »

And written like someone with limited social and communication skills or a 9 year old.

I have eaten here a good number of times. I have also complained on one of those occasions but the bill was adjusted accordingly. As the last poster said you should really have let Management know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I've only eaten there once tbh. Food itself was great, with generous portions.
    Place was packed out (as it was valentines day) and we had to request a different table because the one we were seated at was smack bang in the middle of the floor downstairs. We were getting elbowed by everyone walking past.
    All in all though, I had a great experience with the place, I'd definitely go back there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Been there a few times and loved it! Last time the service wasnt great but the girl seemed new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Have eaten there as a rare treat, (very rare as it is quite overpriced), I have had to send back food on numerous occasions but it was never edited on the bill.
    I like the feel of the place but doubt I'll be going back any time soon as the budget is tighter everywhere and you can get the same meal else where for a heck of a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

best place to eat in Limeric city centre imo.
    Tuscany Bistro lovely as well but not in cc..

Always amazes me why people go to the bother of writing about this on a website, that Cornstore are unlikely to see...when they could just say it on the night/day.
    Not aimed at you Op...just find it mad in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

vkid wrote: »
    Always amazes me why people go to the bother of writing about this on a website, that Cornstore are unlikely to see...when they could just say it on the night/day.
    Not aimed at you Op...just find it mad in general

+1

I don't think it's fair the complaint was vented on the internet and not to the Cornstore. I'm sure if the complaint was made to the manager on the night and it was resolved there and then this discussion probably wouldn't be happening.

I'm a personal fan of the Cornstore, their food and their cocktails :)

Anytime I've had a bad experience I have always complained and its forgotten about there and then. Now that I think of it I have €20 in Supermacs vouchers in my bag because of a recent bad experience. Something to look forward to this weekend :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

seems like we might have the irregulars
    monalitto wrote: »
    ... a total disappointment...
    leakyboots wrote: »
    .....it's not that hard to do a good steak but the one they served up a few months was shocking.

and then we have the regulars
    ...I've been there a few times and always found it average at best....
    Gallee wrote: »
    ...I have eaten here a good number of times. I have also complained.....
    SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Been there a few times and loved it! Last time the service wasnt great ......
    ...eaten there as a rare treat, ...... I have had to send back food on numerous occasions
    LadyTBolt wrote: »
    ....I'm a personal fan of the Cornstore.....Anytime I've had a bad experience I have always complained....
    moby2101 wrote: »
    ........ Ive had one bad meal there over a year ago....Weve been back 4 0r 5 times since and the food has been excellent.....

but it seems like an awful lot of people seems to have had a complaint at sometime. Draw your own conclusions.

maybe we could also just visit with the lucky two
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Always had top quality .....
    roast wrote: »
    ...eaten there once.....was great........I'd definitely go back there again.

Their food has been top notch anytime i have been there, i have no connection to the restaurant at all, only telling it how it has been for me when i have been there

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

seems like we might have the irregulars

and then we have the regulars

but it seems like an awful lot of people seems to have had a complaint at sometime. Draw your own conclusions.

maybe we could also just visit with the lucky two

I think you would be hard pushed to name your own regular restaurant and tell us they have delivered on service and quality 100% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Gallee wrote: »
    I think you would be hard pushed to name your own regular restaurant and tell us they have delivered on service and quality 100% of the time.

probably true , but you'll have to ask mrs shatterproof , she's the one who does the fine dining in our house !!!! but i must say the local chipper is excellent 100% of the time i've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Never had a bad meal in there but always feel like its quite over priced for what you get. If you want to pay that kind of money for fine dining then you cant go wrong with the River Bistro longside the Locke, same price range (ie expensive) but food is far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I wouldn't call myself a regular. I've eaten there about three times I'd say, and wouldn't be too pushed about paying a fourth visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

mitresize5 wrote: »
    ...... you cant go wrong with the River Bistro longside the Locke, same price range (ie expensive) but food is far superior.

+1 +1 +1

OMG, the River Bistro, I really really love that place. I loved it 10yrs ago and I still love it. Was there just before Christmas and I'm still drooling as it was so yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We arrived at 8pm sharp and I was surprised to find it open. After an infuriating series of exchanges with the staff member who greeted me I eventually determined that it was not in fact Homestore and more and stopped demanding candles in jars and scatter cushions.

Seeing as we were there anyhow we decided to then stay and eat, there were no tables right away so a wait ensued, and during this time the Maitre D flirted outrageously with my girlfriend, so much so that even my wife grew annoyed and commented on it.....

Our table was non-remarkable - wooden, rectangular and of standard four-legged design. The grain was pleasant and the craftsmanship was acceptable.

I passed on my Starter, opting to instead sample a bottle of whiskey, it might be noted though that there was no whiskey left by the time the main courses arrived which may possibly be an indication of a lengthy wait from the Kitchen. Also the Waitresses swayed quite a bit and seldom understood what I was saying to them. They didn't seem to want to join in on any of the songs.

I had the duck or maybe the chicken and in fairness it stayed down and provided ballast.

Dessert was brandy in a pint glass with an umbrella.

All in all if you are looking for fine dining at a reasonable price in a convivial atmosphere then I'd say its hard to beat the Chicken Hut, I don't think I'll be back which I suppose makes my unfortunate barred status an entirely moot point.

Advertisement