Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there such thing as a just war?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nodin wrote: »
    Apart from arriving with a mobile bridge, you couldn't really be less subtle.
    Pissmire wrote: »
    Oops. You forgot to mention the bravery of noble British troops on Bloody Sunday.

You both fell for it, and with almost 15k post too Nodin.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Just.....in Case?
    That's a fair enough reason.

What if something worse were to happen if you didn't go to war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well the legality of war means feck all as legality is an artificial concept as opposed to the value of the lives taken during war which is very real. As far as the morality maybe the american civil war which was in part over slavery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Daniel S wrote: »
    From the British? :pac:
    To defend Ulster. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Americas war on Iraq

a just in case war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    If it is defending the land, then yes. Depends what side you are on too.

Regardless of how that land was acquired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Regardless of how that land was acquired?
    Don't see why that would matter. I think the majority are entitled to stand up to a minority trying to take a country off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

Never met the man, but I will agree with him that the students don't really enter into the equation. A coup d'etat which murders the prime minister, a request of the local multinational organization (organization of Eastern Caribbean States) which has limited military force of its own (but they sent a few along symbolically) and the request of the representative of the head of state who then appointed a caretaker government pending elections soon afterwards should, I submit, give the operation some legitimacy. The US may have chosen to get into Grenada as opposed to, oh Angola, for the purposes of making the point that the caribbean was its back yard, but that doesn't invalidate the act itself.

NTM

I remember Angola. Don't think either superpower covered themselves in glory there. But don't think either side lost any military personnel there? Maybe a few 'advisers'. Anyway, I'm not debating this any more, these things turn into mini wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Don't see why that would matter. I think the majority are entitled to stand up to a minority trying to take a country off them.

In that case whats your view of the planatation of Ulster then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Anyway, I'm not debating this any more, these things turn into mini wars

But are the miniwars just?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

But are the miniwars just?

Just time consuming. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I had a miniwar this morning but it was only because i had pizza last night and I'm fine now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

If it is defending the land, then yes. Depends what side you are on too.

Like the brave Irish who faught against the invading Brits hundreds of years ago..

Advertisement