Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC will not connect me to network

• 31-01-2012 3:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I recently moved in to an old house right slap bang in the city centre of Galway.

I signed up to UPC 100Mbit shortly after moving in, according to their online system we could receive all of their services. The house has UPC points both upstairs and downstairs.

When the engineer called over to hook us up, he told me to my dismay that the property only had had the analogue tv service available via MMDS. No broadband or phone for me. He said there was no physical cable to connect me to outside of the property.

I had met my neighbours from the house at the end of the street, just one door down, they have UPC broadband as do many of the people on my block. So one neighbour has it and the others don't to the other side of me on my street. The block is all terraced buildings roughly square in shape.

I told the engineer that my nextdoor neighbour was getting service and he knew they were as he had installed it recently. He informed me that their building was listed and could not cable me from theirs as it would impact the exterior of the listed building. He left apologizing and claiming he could do nothing.

I spoke to my neighbour he was happy to grant permission to lay the cable on the exterior of his property attached below his guttering to minimize visual impact. I even got permission from the local heritage officer, responsible for listed buildings, in the city council.

UPC have completely refused to hook me up, even after I called several times explaining this. They claim to have sent another engineering team out to ascertain if it was plausible to do so, but I never received a promised visit from them.

Does anybody know which department I should speak/write to as I will not call customer service again (I am sick of explaining myself, they usually come across as helpful to their credit but nothing ever gets done) about this. I can't believe that they are not willing to connect me when the cabling would be less than 30 meters from one customer to my house.

I have sent a letter to UPC to an address I got from their website by registered mail, but received no response. I called them about this and they claimed they had not received it....?

All the ADSL options aren't good here either, as the phone line can only take 8Mbit which is too slow for my needs. They are all really poor value in comparison to UPC also.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd approach the Galway papers to see if they will cover the story. There are a few areas like yours in Galway ( eg the Claddagh is crap) and UPC will respond to bad PR where they will otherwise ignore all reason. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JimB

You need to find the Local Area Engineer in Galway and persaude him to pull the cables to your property.

He will be the guy driving around in the UPC marked van.

Going through UPC customer services is a waste of time in this instance and will drive you insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Have you tried their technical support? I've found them to be a little bit more knowledgeable when it comes to helping. They also seem more willing to pass you onto the engineers in your area, who actually have the ability to get you sorted. Though in the end they didn't do me a lot of good. (I've been a UPC BB customer for over a year, and they still don't think I can get it :P, the only annoying part is that they also won't let me upgrade to 50Mb, but at least it works.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yes I have tried technical support, but didn't get far.

I am going to contact their rep on boards to see if he can help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=296435

Try the rep, customer services are a complete waste of time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi charlie_says

In response to your PM. Please email all your details with a link to this thread to my team on retailsales@upc.ie

We will implement a survey for connectivity for you.

This survey will be free of charge.

Please also give us all details with regard to your neighbour, and we would be happy to pass all that details to the survey team to assist

Thanks

Jason
    Yes I have tried technical support, but didn't get far.

I am going to contact their rep on boards to see if he can help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=296435

If you want to order a new bundle from us in UPC, get it half price for the first two months............ and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (including free activation of all your products) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

(Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Hello,

I recently moved in to an old house right slap bang in the city centre of Galway.

I signed up to UPC 100Mbit shortly after moving in, according to their online system we could receive all of their services. The house has UPC points both upstairs and downstairs.

When the engineer called over to hook us up, he told me to my dismay that the property only had had the analogue tv service available via MMDS. No broadband or phone for me. He said there was no physical cable to connect me to outside of the property.

I had met my neighbours from the house at the end of the street, just one door down, they have UPC broadband as do many of the people on my block. So one neighbour has it and the others don't to the other side of me on my street. The block is all terraced buildings roughly square in shape.

I told the engineer that my nextdoor neighbour was getting service and he knew they were as he had installed it recently. He informed me that their building was listed and could not cable me from theirs as it would impact the exterior of the listed building. He left apologizing and claiming he could do nothing.

I spoke to my neighbour he was happy to grant permission to lay the cable on the exterior of his property attached below his guttering to minimize visual impact. I even got permission from the local heritage officer, responsible for listed buildings, in the city council.

UPC have completely refused to hook me up, even after I called several times explaining this. They claim to have sent another engineering team out to ascertain if it was plausible to do so, but I never received a promised visit from them.

Does anybody know which department I should speak/write to as I will not call customer service again (I am sick of explaining myself, they usually come across as helpful to their credit but nothing ever gets done) about this. I can't believe that they are not willing to connect me when the cabling would be less than 30 meters from one customer to my house.

I have sent a letter to UPC to an address I got from their website by registered mail, but received no response. I called them about this and they claimed they had not received it....?

All the ADSL options aren't good here either, as the phone line can only take 8Mbit which is too slow for my needs. They are all really poor value in comparison to UPC also.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cable it yourself then phone them up and say its all connected now now activate the account lol

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi charlie_says

In response to your PM. Please email all your details with a link to this thread to my team on retailsales@upc.ie

We will implement a survey for connectivity for you.

This survey will be free of charge.

Please also give us all details with regard to your neighbour, and we would be happy to pass all that details to the survey team to assist

Thanks

Jason

If you want to order a new bundle from us in UPC, get it half price for the first two months............ and get a voucher for €50 through this boards offer, (including free activation of all your products) just click through this link http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

(Please see the terms & conditions)

- For all customer service queries, please contact 1908.

Hi Jason

i can scan 3 upc wifi routers in range of my flat...... there is even a junction point attached to the side of my building... yet when i phone up upc they keep saying broadband is not available but digital tv is. why not broadband? there is 3 upc routers in range of my flat each with good signal strength... why cant i get plugged in?

Could be one house near you refused UPC a right of way in 1988. Jason, you should try to help people in this situation with a schematic of where UPC is so that go they can negotiate a right of way with their neighbours for you. Be a lot easier and cheaper for small network extensions....and profitable. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Could be one house near you refused UPC a right of way in 1988. Jason, you should try to help people in this situation with a schematic of where UPC is so that go they can negotiate a right of way with their neighbours for you. Be a lot easier and cheaper for small network extensions....and profitable. :)

the laneway is owned by DCC not privately owned as it leads from New Cabra road (behind the shop on the corner of st peter's road) into cabra park.

• Advertisement

It may be a rihht if way rather than 'owned'

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It may be a rihht if way rather than 'owned'

there is existing telephone poles in the laneway behind my flat linking over to cabra park with old ntl/cablelink cables (now property of UPC) for tv still attached to them.

All the engineer needs to do is replace these old cables with the new higher quality ones and plug me into the cabra park system. there is no need to dig up anything. or go into anyone's private property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

Hi Jason

i can scan 3 upc wifi routers in range of my flat...... there is even a junction point attached to the side of my building... yet when i phone up upc they keep saying broadband is not available but digital tv is. why not broadband? there is 3 upc routers in range of my flat each with good signal strength... why cant i get plugged in?

Hi, I am in exactly the SAME position.
    I am also in the city, I can see upc networks on my laptop, and yet have been told that I can only get tv from them and the other people must be on a 'different line'.
    Really frustrating when I can see other upc wireless networks within range.

Advertisement