Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skunks??

• 31-01-2012 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys,
    Was wondering if anyone here knew of anywhere in the republic of ireland that sell pet skunks? Preferably descented

Or if they know any vet that can perform the op as i haven,t been able to find one thats familiar with it.

Would really appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mod snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Scudzilla you're around long enough to know to just report the post. Silly pictures don't help, reported posts do.

Edit - upon receiving information on pet skunks, I'll leave this open for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Apparently its now illegal to descent skunks in the UK, I would think it would be very hard to find a vet here that would know what to do.

I have seen photos of a pet skunk in a family with dogs, are they kept widely as pets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rotti oRiley

Sorrry i can't give advice, May I ask why you would like a skunk, just curious. You don't have to answer.

Are they like badgers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I met one in an animal sanctuary near me years ago (sanctuary remaining nameless!). This one was called Humbug and a sweet little thing, though I'd expect you'd need to know a lot about them, their natural history and lifestyles, so that you can fully understand their needs and how to supply said needs in captivity. They can't be considered a domesticated animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

once you get a skunk that is used to interaction with people and animals , their would be no need to descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

star-pants wrote: »
    Scudzilla you're around long enough to know to just report the post. Silly pictures don't help, reported posts do.

Edit - upon receiving information on pet skunks, I'll leave this open for the moment.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

scudzilla wrote: »
    Well done

If you've an issue - report the post or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you are ever in Vancouver BC you can pet and hold wild skunks in Stanley Park. The only time I could see a pet unrestricted skunk releasing its stinky would be if it got cornered by a vicious dog or got hit by a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I met a pet skunk once ( descented ) - nice chap , though his claws looked seriously nasty.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Happer

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the responses.

From what I've read online they make wonderful pets, playful and affectionate. I've more than enough room and time to accomodate one.

I'd read they can occassionally spray if they fall or get a shock which was why I was concerned, so I appreciate the comments about it not being essential - I'd always avoid unneccessary surgery to an animal.

I've found a pet shop in Antrim that sells them. I'll keep researching before I purchase one to find a Vet who has some experience dealing with skunks so I know he'll be well taken care of. I'll also be visiting the shop in the meantime to get more hands on experience with them.

Feel free to PM me if you would like the info on them I've gathered. Or if anyone knows a Vet that might be familiar with them itd be great :)

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I played with one at a place in canada. lovely little creature. Needed to be handled loads when young so it wouldnt bite or scratch. Bit like having ferrets I suppose. I would be worried about them spraying out of fright though. Iv smelled one that let a burst of spray when a car hit it, it was fairly rotton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You'd need a big area for a skunk and climby areas with a soft enough ground incase they have a fall just for safety. Secure enclosure, proper healthy diet. Possibly neutering/spaying and I think they need vaccinations but maybe someone more skunk savvy can answer that. Above all don't get one if you haven't got a vet near to you (24 hour vet) that has experience with skunks. I would avoid buying one from a pet shop most are unreliable at the best of times when it comes to the health and where their animals come from although there are exeptions.

Here's a link with some other basic stuff http://www.skunkhaven.net/DietNutrition.htm

It seems there are a lot of foods that are toxic or very unhealthy for skunks so you'd need to be very careful with their diet. I doubt there's a particular food you can buy that has everything a skunk needs so you need to have the time to prepare the animals meals and make sure they are balanced.

Maybe a bonded pair of skunks would be better unless you have the time to give lots of one on one attention.

They're very cute and sweet looking but really if you are serious about getting a skunk do loads and loads of research they require a lot of work and space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Happer wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the responses.

From what I've read online they make wonderful pets, playful and affectionate. I've more than enough room and time to accomodate one.

I'd read they can occassionally spray if they fall or get a shock which was why I was concerned, so I appreciate the comments about it not being essential - I'd always avoid unneccessary surgery to an animal.

I've found a pet shop in Antrim that sells them. I'll keep researching before I purchase one to find a Vet who has some experience dealing with skunks so I know he'll be well taken care of. I'll also be visiting the shop in the meantime to get more hands on experience with them.

Feel free to PM me if you would like the info on them I've gathered. Or if anyone knows a Vet that might be familiar with them itd be great :)

Thanks again :)
    You have a pm :).

Hey,

I have been doing a lot of research and have been on skunkhaven already but thanks for the link :). I do have the time to dedicate to one so thats not an issue and i have the space.

Just finding a vet seems to be the biggest problem at the minute. I will be sorting that out before i buy one. I do understand that the vet bills may be costly.

I will be paying the petshop in Antrim a visit aswell over the weekend to have a look to see how healthy they are and see what conditions they are kept in etc.

Thanks for the pms and posts guys :)

Got it sorted. have one ordered from a breeder thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Bairbre O'malley is the main exotics vet in ireland.
    She's located in Bray.However I am not sure if she would have experience with skunks!But shes your best bet for an exotic animal.There is also John Bainbridge who works out of Dundrum and stillorgan.He's the vet for dublin zoo so may have experience with skunks.
    Both are highly respected for their exotics work.

thanks for the vet tips :) i have started bringing my other pets to Bairbre since shes a great vet. Still waiting for my skunk to be born so fingers crossed ill be taking them there too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you a named picked yet OP? Pepe le Pew for example or Stinky Pete? :D

well i was thinking on calling it scrat like the guy in ice age. just because the sort of remind me of him they way they run about lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement