Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Not to do a PhD.

Options
  • 31-01-2012 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been posted. Mods, move as you see fit.

http://100rsns.blogspot.com/

The author makes an awful lot of valid points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I feel like I've just wasted my time reading through entries 1-13. I saw very little of any use, certainly not a lot of valid arguments. If the first 13 are any indication of the quality or substance of the rest, I have no interest in reading any more of it. It comes across as a whole lot of moaning by someone obsessed with money and how difficult it is to go to college. Maybe it improves drastically from entry 14 onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mickstupp wrote: »
    I feel like I've just wasted my time reading through entries 1-13. I saw very little of any use, certainly not a lot of valid arguments. If the first 13 are any indication of the quality or substance of the rest, I have no interest in reading any more of it. It comes across as a whole lot of moaning by someone obsessed with money and how difficult it is to go to college. Maybe it improves drastically from entry 14 onwards?

Very little of any use? What use were you expecting to gain from it? :confused:
    Also, I dunno if I'd disagree with much of what is said in 1-13.
    13 is meh and I'd disagree with 7, 1 is probably a matter of opinion but aside from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It does sound a bit moany alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I only skimmed through it, as the guy has a big chip on his shoulder against people who actually went out and learnt something!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

OP, whatever about the content, you cannot expect people to read an entire blog.

If there are some specific points in the blog you would like to discuss, please direct us to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It does sound a bit moany alright...
    Which is surprising in a thread promising a hundred reasons why one ought not to do something...
    djpbarry wrote: »
    OP, whatever about the content, you cannot expect people to read an entire blog.

If there are some specific points in the blog you would like to discuss, please direct us to them.
    I've no particular desire to discuss any of the points in the blog. I just thought it made for a worthwhile read, and didn't spot any suitable thread wherein one could just add a link of possible interest on the subject of phds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Well that's that then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement