Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate local football club membership costs in Sydney

Options
  • 31-01-2012 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Been living here in Sydney for almost 2 years now and have made some great friendsso far but want to make more so when I got a flyer through my letter box about the new local football (soccer) club in "The Ponds", NW Sydney, I thought that would be a great way to make some more friends.

I just rang the guy for details as I wanted to sign up, he told me to come down on Saturday to the club with $410!!!! I asked him to repeat it again as I thought he was either joking or got mixed up. He said it is $200 rego, $180 joining fee..???? ....and $40 for admin!!!

I just wanted to ask if this is normal practice here in Sydney, I would love to join a local club but not at these prices!! It is hard enough to get by in Sydney with two kids without these ridiculous charges.. :-(

I guess I might have to go and play by myself in the park :-(

Anyone any experiences of joining a club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sounds about right. Is that including insurance?

A lot of clubs will do fundraisers to lower the cost but rego, club fees (for referees etc) and insurance all have to be paid somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Thats a pity as I was looking forward to joining up and making some new friends. I still think it is a bit expensive. It is a new club in a new area who are not even in any league as far as I know. They plan to play in the local park. It is an over 35's team as well, I just thought it would be a few guys getting together in the park for a kick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Sounds right - the O35's team I'm training with have a personal trainer there and its all quite professional. Still haven't registered though!

The indoor competition I play in Mascot costs $90 to register, and then $10 per game - which is in excess of $400 per season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Pretty sure the last fees I paid for a rugby club in Dublin was about 250 euro a year so I don't think $410 is too extortionate for a well run club in Sydney.

The joining fee seems strange though if they are not a profit making organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

If I had to pay $10 or $15 per game/training like you said kdevitt, I wouldn't mind but I have a problem with paying $410 upfront, when it is a new club just set up by a few older men from the new development in a local park, it is not like one of the other well run established clubs in the area. Perhaps they could have offered a trial. I don't want to fork out that much money when I don't know much about them or before I kick a ball....
    If I was a bit younger with no family or ties then it might have been possible but with two kids who are already in clubs and the cost of living in Sydney etc, its just too hard. Its a shame as I was getting a bit excited about joining a club.. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I play for a team in the Sydney Eastern Suburbs league and membership for the season is $450.
    It goes towards referee fees, grounds fees, admin fees, kit fees and insurance.

They want you to pay up front to make sure
    A) You are committed for the year
    B) They pay Referees and Grounds fees straight up so need the money.
    C) Need to pay councils for training ground for the season

If you look at it from the club’s point of view, it makes sense. Some of that fee goes towards the end of season p!ss up as well and you get club merchandise when you sign up.
    If you are a student or backpacker, it’s $350 for the season as far as I know.

If you look at it in a 20 match season, it works out at $22.50 per game.

Advertisement