Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to wifi

Options
  • 31-01-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

i have a sony pcg-srx41p netbook, got the wifi card working but when i try to connect wirelessly through my standard issue UPC internet box it scans for the network, i press connect, and a few seconds later i get "windows is unable to connect to the selected network. the network may no longer be in range, please refresh the list of networks and try again" my little netbook has 256mb ram and 800mhz processor, it's on xp sp3 at the moment, ive tried the workaround i found online but it wont work as the upc boxes use a wpa2 key?? anyway everytime i try to put the key in it tells me its not the right amount of numbers for wep.

any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Sounds like you have the incorrect access key. Look at the under side of the router that's usually where they put the access key information.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TaytoMan69

no, it's all been entered correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you got access to the configuration of the UPC wireless box?
    Which modem is it? You might have to change a few settings to support older wireless cards such as TKIP encryption instead of the newer AES, or there maybe options to support wireless b.

Alternatively you could buy a new USB wireless adapter for €10 or so online.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TaytoMan69

its a upc EPC2425, its an older wireless b card aswell yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well UPC's manual is terrible for detail.
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

Get a regular network wire and connect the netbook or another PC directly into the modem.
    Open up your internet browser and type the following into the address bar:
    (or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 if that doesn't work).

Username and password should be blank if you haven't changed them (and you should) or they might be on the bottom of the router. You can use the factory reset button if that's not working. Try a few different wireless settings. Your card might only support WEP, for example... which is not nearly as secure as WPA but try everything anyway.

For more help, there's a thread on this router here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146473

• Advertisement
Advertisement