Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This year's St.Patrick's Day parade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Heard that as well, didnt see what happened....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Heard that as well, didnt see what happened....

I think it was in the Advertiser last week, I really don't see how much of a benefit it would be to the shops as the parade generally attracts people to the town not take them out of it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I think it was in the Advertiser last week, I really don't see how much of a benefit it would be to the shops as the parade generally attracts people to the town not take them out of it.

Yes it does attract a crowd to town, but specifically for the parade.

With streets closed off I cannot see it being good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

It was voted to go ahead on the Saturday that is St. Patricks day.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

ft9 wrote: »
    Yes it does attract a crowd to town, but specifically for the parade.

With streets closed off I cannot see it being good for business.

How would streets being closed off be bad for business? They are going to have probably the largest number of people in town at any time of the year, surely that can only be good for business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I will be behind the desk in a certain shop on that Saturday so Ill be interested to see how busy it is.

DerryRed wrote: »
    How would streets being closed off be bad for business? They are going to have probably the largest number of people in town at any time of the year, surely that can only be good for business.

I think the crowd that come for a parade will not be coming to town with intentions to splash the cash, i.e. farmer John with the wife and 3 kids.

I'd would imagine having streets closed off will deter the usual shoppers of a Saturday.

That could be way off but its just the original thought that came into my head as to why retailers must be against it.

Reckon I could be right if retailers are against the idea, as no one knows business in town better than them.

ft9 wrote: »
    I think the crowd that come for a parade will not be coming to town with intentions to splash the cash, i.e. farmer John with the wife and 3 kids.

I'd would imagine having streets closed off will deter the usual shoppers of a Saturday.

That could be way off but its just the original thought that came into my head as to why retailers must be against it.

Reckon I could be right if retailers are against the idea, as no one knows business in town better than them.

Fair point. I'm rarely in town these days so I'll probably take the opportunity to have a look around the shops and get something to eat in a pub or cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

In fairness, the Parade in Kilkenny is always crap. No need to change it to the Sunday. There'll be loads of people around in town over the long weekend with most people off work for the 3 days.

1984baby wrote: »
    In fairness, the Parade in Kilkenny is always crap. No need to change it to the Sunday. There'll be loads of people around in town over the long weekend with most people off work for the 3 days.

I thought the last few years it hasn't been too bad. It was woeful for years up until the year they did away with the parade and tried to do a day of festivities across the town. That was so bad that they did make a bit of an effort in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There definitely has been a better effort the past few years.

I think the Grand Marshall this year is going to be George Clooney.

Or at least his non-union Kilkenny equivalent: http://gawker.com/5881740/congratulations-to-david-james-glendon-irish-george-clooney-lookalike

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Threadhead wrote: »
    There definitely has been a better effort the past few years.

I think the Grand Marshall this year is going to be George Clooney.

Or at least his non-union Kilkenny equivalent: http://gawker.com/5881740/congratulations-to-david-james-glendon-irish-george-clooney-lookalike

George aint in kilkenny till the 25th of April.

Eh, that was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That competition was a joke and it makes us look like complete spa's on an international stage.

Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Eh, that was a joke.

I know that.
    Was just saying when he was due in.

I know that.
    Was just saying when he was due in.

Grand job. Wasn't sure. Tone is hard to read on this yolk.

So, how was business on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Was in Emerald Gardens at parade time. The place was deathly quiet. There were us and only one other table occupied. Quietest I've ever seen it

Business picked up again when the parade was over

Left Bank was like a creche.

Probably blame the weather. Nothing to write home about.

Then again, if you're writing home about a St. Patrick's Day Parade it would need to be insanely good.

Best bit was when a random drunk covered in green silly string joined in and pretended to lead the Parade, the guards just let him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Left Bank was like a creche.

Probably blame the weather. Nothing to write home about.

Then again, if you're writing home about a St. Patrick's Day Parade it would need to be insanely good.

Best bit was when a random drunk covered in green silly string joined in and pretended to lead the Parade, the guards just let him off.

Was that the middle aged drunk weirdo who was yelling things like "I HAVE AN ERRECTION" and "ALLAH ACKBAR" while intimidating random people and kids, him smelling of alcohol?

• Advertisement

Christ... I didn't hear what he was saying, but that was probably accurate.

And he was definitely a middle aged drunk weirdo.

He was running around in the rain dancing and pouring Devil's Bit all over himself on the Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Was that the middle aged drunk weirdo who was yelling things like "I HAVE AN ERRECTION" and "ALLAH ACKBAR" while intimidating random people and kids, him smelling of alcohol?
    Is he that english auld lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Plug wrote: »

He didnt sound English but I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Plug wrote: »

Keep well away from him :mad: Have had to contact the gardai about him :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Autosport wrote: »
    Keep well away from him :mad: Have had to contact the gardai about him :mad:
    Anytime I met him he was arrested. He's a sly man and I think he is homeless or else he's bullsh!tin'.

Advertisement