Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract Law

Options
  • 31-01-2012 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a Judgment marked against me, the debt from this judgment arose from commercial transaction in 2006.
    I am also the Plaintiff in a High Court Case which is ongoing.
    I had an oral agreement from the Plaintiff in the Judgment case for the past 5 years that his debt would be settled in full after the conclusion of the High Court case but he went ahead last year and instituted proceedings against me.
    My question is:
    Could I initiate proceedings against him now for Breach of Contract of the original Oral agreement as the High Court Case is still ongoing, in order to have the Judgment set aside and enforce the Oral Agreement to have him wait for the outcome of the High Court case.
    Note.
    I did not defend the Judgment case as the plaintiff promised that he would stop the proceedings, but he didn't and I only found out when it was too late, that was my fault and I accept that.
    Any thoughts on the possible success of such an action are welcome
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The guy in the judgment case is only protecting his interests. He has 6 years to bring proceedings so he has done so. His judgment now lasts 12 years if I remember correctly. So he wants to make sure he is protected.

Can you over turn judgment, you need proper legal advice, but again if I remember correctly to do so you need to put on affidavit that you have a defence to the claim which you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

greyfox123 wrote: »
    I have a Judgment marked against me, the debt from this judgment arose from commercial transaction in 2006.
    I am also the Plaintiff in a High Court Case which is ongoing.
    I had an oral agreement from the Plaintiff in the Judgment case for the past 5 years that his debt would be settled in full after the conclusion of the High Court case but he went ahead last year and instituted proceedings against me.
    My question is:
    Could I initiate proceedings against him now for Breach of Contract of the original Oral agreement as the High Court Case is still ongoing, in order to have the Judgment set aside and enforce the Oral Agreement to have him wait for the outcome of the High Court case.
    Note.
    I did not defend the Judgment case as the plaintiff promised that he would stop the proceedings, but he didn't and I only found out when it was too late, that was my fault and I accept that.
    Any thoughts on the possible success of such an action are welcome

I would suggest that this post falls foul of the Charter so the only thing that I will say is that there's no point in suing this chap as him agreeing not to sue you over a debt already owed does not form a contract.

You have a solicitor in your High Court case (I presume) so that you should ask him/her for advice here.

You should take note that this individual may only be issuing proceedings against you to safeguard his position in that his claim may be statute barred in the near future. If he doesn't institute proceedings he won't be able to force you to pay him into the future. Fair enough you say you will pay him back but he has no guarantee of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 greyfox123

The debt is disputed but i was not going to deal with that until I had the means to.
    Did business on weekly basis for approx 2 years.
    No goods ever signed for
    No Statement of account ever provided.
    No formal Contract for supply of goods.
    No Credit arrangements
    No Terms & Conditions
    I have requested proof/verification of the debt, none forthcoming.
    My Q is:
    Does the oral agreement to wait for the outcome of HIGH COURT case to settle debt not form a contract?
    And if so is he not in breach of that contract by not waiting for the outcome of the high court case?

If it is accepted that the oral agreement does in fact form a contract then he does not have to worry about running out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The debt is disputed but i was not going to deal with that until I had the means to.
    No goods ever signed for
    No Credit arrangements
    No Terms & Conditions
    My Q is:
    Does the oral agreement to wait for the outcome of HIGH COURT case to settle debt not form a contract?
    And if so is he not in breach of that contract by not waiting for the outcome of the high court case?

If it is accepted that the oral agreement does in fact form a contract then he does not have to worry about running out of time.

No one here can or will answer that question, as it is against the charter rules. You have a solicitor acting for you ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

No goods ever signed for
    No Credit arrangements
    No Terms & Conditions
    My Q is:

See my first response for the answers to your queries. Use your solicitor to deal with this.

As has been said, this guy would only be protecting his interests in issuing proceedings against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need a solicitor.
    That isn't very fair is it? If you have problems with what was done in the past, put it in the open now.
    Ever do this in the barber's shop?
    No goods ever signed for
    No Credit arrangements
    No Terms & Conditions
    I highly doubt it. Contract = offer + acceptance + consideration. What was the consideration for this contract?

Are the two court cases linked?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Now, who to infract for breaching the Charter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement