Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog follows my car

• 31-01-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Of late, my husky has been following my car when i leave and has been running onto a regional road trying to catch up with me. the reason i cant think of a way to stop this behaviour...is because im in the car, theres not a whole lot i can do to stop her once ive started driving. shes 6months, and fairly intelligent. Apart from putting her in her pen, i dont know how to solve the issue.

Gotta go to work but will log on in a while with more info

Thanks for yer help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

by the way, if anyone even knows of a device that i could connect her that will release her after about 5mins that would also suffice, im currently in the thought process of a design for one, but if its readily available theres no need to make one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There is plenty you can do, secure your garden! How is she getting out after you? She is an accident waiting to happen so for her sake and your own secure your garden or build her a run.

Even if there was a device that would release her after 5 mins surely she could still get out and roam while you're not there which leaves her at risk from the dog warden, thieves, farmers, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the dog is capable of following you onto a regional road, then they are not secure and you are committing an offence.

I'm not getting high-and-mighty with you, but this is an issue caused by the fact that you're not keeping your dog under proper control.

Two options:

1. If there's someone else around, throw the dog into the house until you've left.
    2. Drive out past the gates, get out of the car and close them. Ensure that your gates are sufficient to control the dog.

If the gates or your boundary wall aren't sufficient to keep the dog on your property, then your only option is to put her in the house or the pen before you leave. You can't leave her running around unchecked as she will get run over eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Please secure your garden or build a pen. Huskies are known for wandering, they need fencing to keep them in. They have a very high prey drive, so can kill sheep and neighbour's small pets, cats, rabbits etc, and most of them have absolutely no road sense whatsoever.

Please, do research now on the breed so that you can keep your pup safe.:(

ya ive researched the breed

just looking for a method for stopping her following my car thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

http://www.ehow.com/about_5426918_temporary-fencing-dogs.html

Irish site . There may be more got this off google. 

http://www.innotekcollars.ie

It would be a shame if anything happened to the dog cause they are lovely breed.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

IK09 wrote: »

There have been numerous suggestions. Secure your home/garden!

I'm actually not sure if your serious, I mean how hard can it be? If you want something to stop following you, keep it contained so it can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy6Zrz3CFLTRXPAfg1s6Pvrjw90Y72Kevw8Rw1Rz7k_Dw450Fd1w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Your dog should not be able to go onto the road with out someone bringing it there.
    If it can then it can go where it likes and when a dog goes in heat in the area your dog will be gone and could get killed or cause an traffic accident.
    If it causes a traffic accident you may get sued.

No you obviously haven't researched the breed at all if you're allowing it to stay in an unsecured garden.

The method for stopping her following the car is to leave her somewhere secure.

Is she microchipped? If she is and kills livestock or causes an accident, you can be traced and will be prosecuted. If you don't care about her life, maybe consider that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You've been given 3- secure your garden, put her in a pen or put her in the house. If you researched the breed you would see that they are very independant and will wander, and they will chase small prey and from what I gather you live in a rural area? Especially around this time of year with lambing soon farmers will shoot any dog they see even in the field nevermind even chasing the sheep. There's also the risk of dog thieves, especially with a pedigree highly popular breed (and a bitch of possible breeding potential). Not to mention causing an accident, you are also liable for any damage caused by your dog in the case of an accident.

Even if you get something that secures her until you drive away she's still coming up to that age (puberty in dogs) where she will start to push boundaries and seemingly forget all training so she will start to wander more.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

You've gotten good advice on how to deal with this so I can't add to that.

What I don't get is how you can drive off every day, watching her run after you in the rear view mirror and not KNOW what you have to do to stop this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

IK09, Hi again :)

Mine howls like a demon in hell any time I leave the house, she hates to see me go anywhere without her, I can totally relate.

You have a couple of options here,

1. Bow to experienced dog owners, and build up your walls and gardens ( a few tall posts and a roll of thick chicken wire ) Which is the thing to do really, given the curious nature of the beast, mine wants to explore everywhere when we walk, takes a bloody age lol.

2. Keep it inside the house when you go out, but she will probably go nutz with boredom and tear the place up. So make sure there is nothing valuable or worth keeping in her range.

3. And this relates to your question about stopping her chasing your car, and sadly the only thing that can stop a dog chasing a car is... another car. The chase / prey drive in the huskies is really high as you well know, and given the stubborn nature, she won't give up easily.

4. Try using a tether, Drill it into the wall, and have a 20-30 foot range on it, so she has at least some freedom and of course plenty of water, she may chew through it, she may get tangled up or choke on it while there is no one to supervise her. Could end up being terrible...

Of all of these options I would elect making the gardens Husky proof, and that's no easy task. I've watched dozens of "houdini" dogs escape from places you wouldn't believe on YT.

Don't try radio fences, they are not pleasant, and sometimes fail, malfunction or stop the dog getting back in if it manages to breach it.

On the other hand you could ask a neighbour to mind it for you while your working, or look into doggy daycare. There are many places (your in Galway right?).

I know sometimes it's hard to take advice from people who seem to be putting you down or don't believe you when you type something. In my own lack of knowledge I turn to others for guidance, since their experience is greater than mine, and the general consensuses is the same message, I would think about listening to them.

BTW, Thunder says hi :)
    How is Midnight doing? besides chasing cars lol, fully trained?
    You were right about how smart they are !! you should see my little thing during a training session lol, it's like she's on military parade(EDIT: only inside the house, outside she is a different dog, and cares not for treats, my call or the leash) :P

Starting formal training with wtci.ie in april, to try gain a little obedience under distraction :D

Keep in touch man

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hello,

Of late, my husky has been following my car when i leave and has been running onto a regional road trying to catch up with me. the reason i cant think of a way to stop this behaviour...is because im in the car, theres not a whole lot i can do to stop her once ive started driving. shes 6months, and fairly intelligent. Apart from putting her in her pen, i dont know how to solve the issue.

Gotta go to work but will log on in a while with more info

Thanks for yer help

The answer is in your question. No, i repeat, NO spitz breed should ever be left in an unsecure garden. Scratch that, no dog should ever be left in an unsecure garden but most certainly not a spitz breed. The OH was only just this morning telling me about her uncle who had three sheep torn to pieces by a labrador and a GSD mix over the weekend, he shot both of them (this wasn't the first time the dogs had gotten into his fields either) and now his neighbour is minus two dogs because they simply would not keep them secure. If you care about your dog, keep her in!! Its just that simple!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

I agree you should never leave a dog unsupervised and free to roam, what makes you think he won't wander off later and follow another car

theres plenty of room for the dog to roam. Were fairly isolated. Theres one farmer in a 7-8km radius. he also has no sheep, only cattle and he said he'd gimme a call if he sees her around there if she gets out. He also has dogs, and he loves my little one, i bring her up the odd time to socialize and run round with the cattle and horses. The first time she followed me, she came all the way to the road (not a busy road but dangerous none the less). Usually i have to bring her back and put her in the pen and get someone else to let her out when im gone. which is just a pain in the arse.

Vince shes gettin on great, not fully trained yet(is it possible?). All basic commands done,except heel. shes the most placid dog ive ever come across. I dont even know if she has the capability to bark yet! ive never hear her. my OH said she heard her once. Hows Thunder coming along? Any pics i can show her sis?

So back to the point, does anyone know how to train a dog not to follow a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you serious?? You are not being responsible at all and seriously putting your dog at risk. I really do wonder!!!

I actually cant believe you're serious either. Let me put it to you this way, you have a toddler, you leave the toddler loose out in the back garden while you're out, and you expect it to somehow understand that its not supposed to follow a car? Your dog is a toddler in mentality, and a toddler with a high prey drive at that!! Christ, it really couldn't be simpler, be responsible and keep your dog secure, and not for your sake but the dog's!!

Shanao wrote: »
    I actually cant believe you're serious either. Let me put it to you this way, you have a toddler, you leave the toddler loose out in the back garden while you're out, and you expect it to somehow understand that its not supposed to follow a car? Your dog is a toddler in mentality, and a toddler with a high prey drive at that!! Christ, it really couldn't be simpler, be responsible and keep your dog secure, and not for your sake but the dog's!!

so you know how to train a dog not to follow a car?

theres plenty of room for the dog to roam. Were fairly isolated. Theres one farmer in a 7-8km radius. he also has no sheep, only cattle and he said he'd gimme a call if he sees her around there if she gets out. He also has dogs, and he loves my little one, i bring her up the odd time to socialize and run round with the cattle and horses. The first time she followed me, she came all the way to the road (not a busy road but dangerous none the less). Usually i have to bring her back and put her in the pen and get someone else to let her out when im gone. which is just a pain in the arse.

Vince shes gettin on great, not fully trained yet(is it possible?). All basic commands done,except heel. shes the most placid dog ive ever come across. I dont even know if she has the capability to bark yet! ive never hear her. my OH said she heard her once. Hows Thunder coming along? Any pics i can show her sis?

So back to the point, does anyone know how to train a dog not to follow a car

No. Nobody knows how to train a dog not to follow a car. Nobody knows how to train a husky to stay on its own property, because it is against the traits of the breed - something you would know if you had done the slightest, teeniest bit of research before you went out and got this poor dog. But its not a problem, because when she gets killed at a very young age, you can go back to the fantastic breeder that let someone like you buy a pup without any knowledge and just buy another one. Lets just hope that she doesn't also cause the death of any people in a car crash, and that she dies very quickly and without too much pain.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Easy.

Lock the gate of the run and say "STAY".

OR

Dillon-Aero-M134D-Gatling.jpg

How much is a Husky Bitch worth (without papers obviously)?

Besides the fact that this method simply will not work with a husky (might as well try to train a collie not to herd and a retriever not to retrieve), there is one particular line on that site that should be pointed out as extremely important.
    'Leaving a dog unattended, except for within a properly and securely fenced in yard, is simply asking for trouble. Dogs are unpredictable, and it is always possible that the chase instinct could kick in at exactly the wrong moment.'
    Do yourself a favour, just google how many dogs have been stolen in Ireland in the past few months, check all the lost and found pages and see how many huskies are listed. I mean, seriously, Irish Sled Dog Welfare, someone I would definitely consider extremely well-informed on huskies and mals, is advising you here and you are simply ignoring the facts. Why??

cheers vince, gonna stop using this site, 2 post about my dog lookin for assistance, nothing but self righteous, high and mighty, "experts".

Yes, how very selfrighteous of people to even dare to think about the welfare of an innocent dog. Shame on us:rolleyes:

I can't get heel yet either, she walk with me 80% of the time on leash, and needs just a few corrections, I doubt very much we will be able to get heel 100% ah well lol.

Mine barks at me for food or the at the back door when she wants to go potty, kinda like hey buddy come on already! she is so much fun.

But back on topic, the slow release gizmo looks like a winner, but in all honesty I would seriously consider keeping it in it's pen when your not around, if you think it's too small you can always increase the size, can you imagine the horror on some strangers face when they turn up at your door with you injured or worse dog? I couldn't bear the thought.

Mine has the run of the house and the back yard, which is 30x15 ish not very big at all, but extremely secure, I'm certain that when she gets older, I'll have to modify the fences and increase the security. but hey ho that's not for another few months, plenty of time for that still.

Any ideas on how to teach a dog not chase cars though? Even when out walking there is a chance the dog can pull the leash out of your hand and go tearing after a car!

Sounds like no one has really addressed the post, just chased away some chap asking for help. I would be interested in knowing how this would be accomplished, it might come up if mine takes a fancy to the shiny hubcaps flying about the place.

Rest assured, I keep my Husky leashed, and confined. + training is going well. So we can skip all the "what not to do" stuff and answer the chaps post please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

cheers vince, gonna stop using this site, 2 post about my dog lookin for assistance, nothing but self righteous, high and mighty, "experts".

Excuse me while I get down from my 16.2 horse. Apart from the dangers to your dog of wandering which I won't repeat, it is illegal to allow a dog to wander unsupervised. You have already stated she has wandered near the road (while you were watching her so what's to say she hasn't done it before and won't do it again while your not watching her), what happens if she runs out in front of a car and causes an accident. It's all good and well saying a driver shouldn't swerve for a dog but as a learner driver myself I haven't a clue how I'l react if a dog runs out in front of me until it happens one day, I know how I should react and squash your dog but what if I were to swerve in front of a lorry or a school bus, what if your dog were to be the cause of my death or multiple others.

It has happened on here before (search for the threads) that a dog has been hit by a car roaming outside it's own gate and the driver was able to seek payment for damages to the car, owner ends up with a dead dog and a bill for the car to be fixed. It would be interesting to see how it would work out if there was a death involved. :confused:

Then there's the possibility of another dog owner banging on your door claiming your dog has attacked theirs, if you aren't there to see it who knows what happens and you may end up with your own injured dog's plus another dog's vet bills to pay. What if the owner intervenes and ends up bitten themselves.

It is one of my major pet peeves, there is a law for everyone, there is no small print saying people in rural areas are exempt from this (and yes I live in a village in a rural area so I can't be accused of being a city child who's never escaped the big city and thinks milk comes from cartons). I'm sick to the back teeth of walking my own dog down a quiet country lane and having dogs running out at me from driveways intimidating both me and my own dog and then following me. There is a lane I walk up and a few times I have been warned do not go any further as a house up there has dogs just running loose that will attack my own, why should 1 person ruin something for everyone.
    Vince32 wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to teach a dog not chase cars though? Even when out walking there is a chance the dog can pull the leash out of your hand and go tearing after a car!

Sounds like no one has really addressed the post, just chased away some chap asking for help. I would be interested in knowing how this would be accomplished, it might come up if mine takes a fancy to the shiny hubcaps flying about the place.

Rest assured, I keep my Husky leashed, and confined. + training is going well. So we can skip all the "what not to do" stuff and answer the chaps post please?

Vince there is a difference between training a dog not to chase a car when you are present and expecting a dog not to chase a car when you are gone. I'm crap at giving advice on the training front but even if I or someone else were able to advice IK09 on how to train a dog (of a breed that is notorious for chasing, it's like training a sheepdog not to be interested in sheep) not to chase a car, the dog will still do it anyways when he's not there. Or maybe it'l be one of these dogs that never stray until one day it does and ends up like that poor guy in the other thread still looking for his 11 year old labrador.

You say you already have a pen, why not just leave the dog in it until you return, I fail to see what is wrong with this. Personally I wouldn't be able to think straight if my dog was not secure. As for the training a dog not to chase things, to throw in my crappy 2 cents on the dog training front I would imagine a focus on me type command or working on distance sits, downs and stays but how are any of those going to work when your sitting in a car driving away. Ask any experienced husky owner your original question and they will all give you the same answer as people here have, so who do you consider an expert to ask. :confused:

Good post Zapp, You know I wasn't critiquing, I was genuine and for the reasons you mentioned, perhaps IK09 was thinking the same thing?

It's nice to allow your pet to roam the open countryside, but nowhere near a road... god I'd hate to have something like that on my conscience.

I guess the only viable option is to confine the dog, or have a neighbour or family member take care of it. I don't think there is a way to stop a dog chasing a car, I'd be happy to discover otherwise, that would be some good knowledge to have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

IK09, you were given good advice, which you completely ignored & kept reverting back to the same question. People naturally got annoyed at the thoughts of an accident waiting to happen.

Vince if the question of how to train dogs not to follow cars whilst out walking/on a lead was asked, I'm sure posters would have obliged.

What was asked was how to stop a pup from running after the owners car out the driveway.
    Very different questions & different implications.

IK09, you've been advised how difficult it is to control that instinct of chasing, for your dog's safety (apart from everything else) it would be best to have some form of fencing if you're not keeping the dog in the house or pen.

I think it could be an idea Vince to start a new thread on how to teach dogs not to chase when on a walk, as some may have suggestions.

Advertisement