Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog follows my car

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Advising to keep your dog safe and secure is not being high and mightly, its being responsible.
    If you want to risk your dog being killed, stolen, shot, run over because you dont want to keep it secure then thats your choice, but dont come on here saying because we advise you to keep your dog enclosed and safe that we are high and mighty.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Vince32 wrote: »
    Good post Zapp, You know I wasn't critiquing, I was genuine and for the reasons you mentioned, perhaps IK09 was thinking the same thing?

It's nice to allow your pet to roam the open countryside, but nowhere near a road... god I'd hate to have something like that on my conscience.

I guess the only viable option is to confine the dog, or have a neighbour or family member take care of it. I don't think there is a way to stop a dog chasing a car, I'd be happy to discover otherwise, that would be some good knowledge to have.

Why is it nice to allow your pet to roam the open countryside? PET, not wild animal. The countryside is owned by people, why do you or anyone else have the right to allow your pet to wander on their land? Forget sheep, a dog in a field can cause cattle or horses to run, maybe into a wall, causing them to be hurt, sometimes so badly that they have to be killed. How on earth is that nice? Owning a dog comes with responsiblity.

The law states that it is illegal to allow your pet to roam, and its for good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Vince32 wrote: »
    It's nice to allow your pet to roam the open countryside, but nowhere near a road... god I'd hate to have something like that on my conscience.

Actually, it's illegal to let your pet 'roam' the open countryside, it's a pet not a wild animal, why on earth would it need to roam the countryside?!

OP you were given some great advice including from ISDW, which stands for IRISH SLED DOG WELFARE so an educated guess would tell you she, in particular, knows a lot about your breed, someone I would be listening to if I were in your situation. To me it's fairly obvious that even if you train your dog to do something, you're teaching them to respond to a command, so how would you expect them to respond when you're not there to give the command? Isn't that just basic common sense?!!

Zapperzy I feel your pain re being chased up and down country lanes by dogs who are just let out to 'roam', there's many a road I've had to cross off my list of walks due to unpredictable dogs, it's a bloody nightmare!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Why on earth are you ignoring people's advise? People aren't being smart or trying to score points, people are concerned about your dog's welfare, why aren't you?

I, like ISDW, have a Husky and know these breeds and there is absolute NO WAY IN HELL I would ever have one unsecured.
    You are going to end up with one of these options, which one would you prefer?

a) A dog that runs away, and you cannot find/catch
    b) A dog that runs and gets hit by a car
    c) A dog that wanders, bothers sheep and gets shot by a farmer
    d) Your dog is stolen by some dirtbag who will try to sell it or mate from it

I don't think ANYONE should let their dogs roam free, but if you were going to do that, you picked the wrong breed.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for your dog's sake stop being so stubborn and listen to the advice from people that have experience with this! All you're doing is endangering your dog! I don't understand why you are so set on ignoring what people are saying to you :(
    It just makes me really sad, put your pride aside and think of what is best here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Deleted by user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hey Vince!
    I think a separate thread on how to train a dog when walking it to avoid it wanting to lunge or pull at or chase cars is a good idea. I think that isn't going to serve a purpose in this thread though like star-pants indicated.

Training a dog to do certain things on a walk and training a dog that is totally roaming free and unsupervised are very different.

Hope you're getting on well with your Husky, I recall you got one a while back right? I only pop in an out of this board when I get some free time (not enough of it these days, blurgh!) but treasure the puppy moments. They're lots of work but so much fun at that age too. Though some dogs seem to like staying puppies forever ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Yeah it's a good idea, but I think I'll wait and do some research on my own first, then get some opinions later on.
    IK09 wrote: »
    theres plenty of room for the dog to roam. Were fairly isolated. Theres one farmer in a 7-8km radius. he also has no sheep, only cattle and he said he'd gimme a call if he sees her around there if she gets out. He also has dogs, and he loves my little one, i bring her up the odd time to socialize and run round with the cattle and horses. The first time she followed me, she came all the way to the road (not a busy road but dangerous none the less). Usually i have to bring her back and put her in the pen and get someone else to let her out when im gone. which is just a pain in the arse.

So back to the point, does anyone know how to train a dog not to follow a car

I just wanted to point out, that although it's nice to give the dog it's freedom and allow it the run of the land (assuming it's your land), if it get out onto the roads, there could be terrible consequences.. which I guess is the reason your asking about it.

While it may it possible to train the dog not to chase your car, it will only respond to the command and with no one to issue the command it will most likely find it's own way there anyway.

So while it's illegal to allow the dog to roam, that's your choice and you assume the responsibility of any damages caused.

Mine doesn't need alot of space to be happy, she sits with me when I'm working and walks with me while I'm walking, runs up and down the gardens when she feels like it and it in very good condition.

I think your missing the point people are trying to make, it's not that they don't know how to train the dog, it's that, this situation should never come up in the first place.

I've had to bite my tongue and concede that confining the dog was the only real option to me when I got Thunder first, in all honesty I think you should too.

Your choice mate.

Advertisement