Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Finnbarr mate they definitely DO need to have the warrant with them,
    otherwise they could enter where/when ever they like,and just get a warrant sorted AFTER the fact if they find any evidence,
    they also have to present it to you in some shape or form,that can be a formal declaration"we are here to search the premises and have a warrant under such and such an act"and show it to you,OR wave it in your face as the stormtroopers rush past depending on circumstance(I.e. whether its something non violent and trivial like a TV license,or in the other case if you're a hardened crim and they're raiding for drugs/guns/steroid injected killer hamsters etc)
    This is enforced even more rigorously now that a Judge is NOT needed for certain warrants,only the Superintendent of a station in certain serious circumstances,
    obviously this would be open to massive abuse IF the shickalawni DIDN'T have to have the warrant with them.

No, they do not have to have the warrant with them. They usually will but once the warrant is in existence, they can search away. You can go and check it later on in the barracks and it will be signed and dated, so they can not get it sorted after the fact.

Also, a judge will not sign a warrant over a TV license and a superintendent cannot sign it because it would not be deemed an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

When you buy a laptop or a P.C. (which are all deemed capable of picking up/transmitting a tv signal) when they ask you for your name and ADDRESS for guarantee/warranty purposes etc. etc. they are obliged by law to pass on the details to the tv licence people. Thats what they do in the u.k. and I can't see the slippery so and so's being any different here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

When you buy a laptop or a P.C. (which are all deemed capable of picking up/transmitting a tv signal) when they ask you for your name and ADDRESS for guarantee/warranty purposes etc. etc. they are obliged by law to pass on the details to the tv licence people. Thats what they do in the u.k. and I can't see the slippery so and so's being any different here.

They don't do that here. Many places ask you to register it yourself and by supplying false information your hardly going to be able to get the product fixed if it gets faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Gadgie wrote: »
    You need a TV licence if you have any piece of equipment capable of receiving a broadcast (terrestrial/cable/satellite) TV signal.

Even if it isn't connected to a box/ there is no box in the house???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CuriousG wrote: »
    Even if it isn't connected to a box/ there is no box in the house???

You don't even need an ariel or dish, once there's is something capable of receiving a signal you've to pay a licence.

• Advertisement

You don't even need an ariel or dish, once there's is something capable of receiving a signal you've to pay a licence.

But you can't recieve a signal without either of these??? Anyway thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

The law in Ireland is clear- "OWN" something that can receive TV signals and you need a licence. easy to prove,if you are daft enough to allow a stranger into your house.

The law in the UK is an ass- "You need a TV licence if you watch or record TV while its being broadcast". Try proving that.

But you can't recieve a signal without either of these??? Anyway thanks.

As CBL says, it's just a matter of owning a device capable of receiving weather with or without extra hardware/software. It's the Governments way of making sure that everyone had to have a licence, but they have a new Broadcasting Act coming in which means you need a licence even if you only have a smartphone in the house!

As CBL says, it's just a matter of owning a device capable of receiving weather with or without extra hardware/software. It's the Governments way of making sure that everyone had to have a licence, but they have a new Broadcasting Act coming in which means you need a licence even if you only have a smartphone in the house!

That's silly....Someone else installed it, I have no channels or interest in getting them yet still have to pay??? Grrrr... Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

That's silly....Someone else installed it, I have no channels or interest in getting them yet still have to pay??? Grrrr... Thanks all.

Well you don't need a licence for an antenna (aerial, satellite dish, etc.), but you do if you have any equipment capable of receiving a signal (TV, Sky box, video recorder, etc.).

• Advertisement

Gadgie wrote: »
    Well you don't need a licence for an antenna (aerial, satellite dish, etc.), but you do if you have any equipment capable of receiving a signal (TV, Sky box, video recorder, etc.).

That was my original Q...Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I think this may have already been pointed out but laptops are too being clamped down on and if your using it to access TV or its capable of accessing TV like RTE online then your liable for the licence fee, I recall a government minister talking about this on the telly not so long ago,

Enforcing it is another thing!

Laptops and mobiles will be included in the new Broadcasting Act whenever it comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregd1

hi a tv licence comes under an act so it is not illegal not to have one it is an offence against the act. im still finding out more info about this but i think a tv licence is unlawfull if everyone did not pay nothing can be done. check out youtube. most of the vids i have seen are in england but they have the same laws as us. under common law you dont contract with them you remove there emplied right of access and give them no info treaten them with prosecution for tresspassing and close the door. i am paying my tv licence at the moment but when i find out everthing i need to know i will send it back and never pay again. i dont like the way they make you feel like a criminal when you have not done anything wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gregd1 wrote: »
    hi a tv licence comes under an act so it is not illegal not to have one it is an offence against the act. im still finding out more info about this but i think a tv licence is unlawfull if everyone did not pay nothing can be done. check out youtube. most of the vids i have seen are in england but they have the same laws as us. under common law you dont contract with them you remove there emplied right of access and give them no info treaten them with prosecution for tresspassing and close the door. i am paying my tv licence at the moment but when i find out everthing i need to know i will send it back and never pay again. i dont like the way they make you feel like a criminal when you have not done anything wrong.

You should get to know those freeman lunatics, they'd likely suit you perfectly fine for the road you are going down :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

gregd1 wrote: »

I think you are open to being charged with a Capital offence......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Just tell them your a quaker! thats a whole religous road im sure they wouldnt want to go down, tell them that television is the devils work and as your religon says you cant watch it you dont, so you dont need a licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭spokesman

Hi, Just to clear up a few things about tv licences, search warrants and inspectors etc. They will never get a search warrant to search for a tv in a house. unheard of. What they do is depend on scare mongering and scary advertisements to induce you to buy the licence. I have nothing against the tv licence and i do get it. Back in 2002, i moved into a new house and with all the moving and sorting etc, the tv licence was left on the long finger. One day i got this letter from the tv inspector which resembled a wanted dead or alive poster from the old west. This letter stated we have recently obtained a search warrant and we will arrive unannounced with the garda siochana to enter your house to search your house. I of course acted stupid, knowing they were only bluffing and in trouble for using the Garda siochana's name and the threat of without permission. I rang the office the letter came from and asked the man in charge to tell me the name of the judge that issued the search warrant etc. He hummed and hawed and rustled papers. I then said, "now you see, we are not all thick after all are we" i went on to tell him that the whole thing was a ruse. That they all sit around a table to come up with the most threatening way to frighten people to buy their tv licence, he admitted this. To cut a long story short, i got an apology all the way from the top, and if the ombudsman had to get hold of the complaint, they would have lost their jobs. To confirm things, i rang the court clerks in Waterford and Wexford and in all their years, they never seen a search warrant being issued for a tv. The only reason a Garda will come with them, is if you were threatening them the last time, but they still cannot enter inside. One time the inspector had to see the tv to proof you had no licence, now they can base it on seeing a dish or cable going into the house. God be with the days we would throw a cloth over the tv and put a geranium on top of it when the auld inspector was around.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

shur isnt tv licence been replaced with a a new licence that covers tv mobile phone and computer or is pat rabbit rabbiting on again

Advertisement