Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using pictures/logos on a website

Options
  • 31-01-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm currently setting up a new website and just looking for a bit of info. I want to include some pictures or logos on my homepage. What are the laws on this? Can I display and organisations logo on my website if I havent directly got permission from them? As regards pictures, where would I be able to source some that I would legally be allowed to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

You need to license everything appropriately. Other companies logo's will need permission. You can use stock photos from sites such as istockphoto.com and shutterstock.com once the correct license has been purchased. There tend to be different licenses for editorial and creative so double check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Google "stock photos" - there's a raft of websites out there.

But as pixelcraft said read the license carefully on each one - websites offering "free stock photos" often mix paid and free content, and even a lot of the free ones are under a creative commons license that can have restrictions or require some form of attribution, e.g. a link back.

Flickr has a good summary of various creative commons licenses.

Also note that "Royalty free" doesn't actually mean free - it just means that if you buy the image it's not restricted by volume of use/time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

BSIM wrote: »
    I'm currently setting up a new website and just looking for a bit of info. I want to include some pictures or logos on my homepage. What are the laws on this? Can I display and organisations logo on my website if I havent directly got permission from them? As regards pictures, where would I be able to source some that I would legally be allowed to use?

Do NOT use another company's logo on your site without their express permission.

ALWAYS ensure that any images you're using are either your own, or as stated you are allowed to use them in that manner within the terms of the licence.

Stock Exchange has tonnes of completely free images to download and use, but please ensure the licence on each image allows commercial use (I'm assuming your website is a commercial site advertising your company / services etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Except for logos like VISA, Amex etc. for shopping carts, you should always get permission for logos. This helps ensure the best logo version is used and displayed correctly. Some logo guidelines are very specific when it comes to matters like spacing and other display properties. Using organisiations' logos without permission can create the impression of those organisations endorsing your site when no such endorsement actually exists, which is legally dubious, pretty dishonest and downright bad practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BSIM

Thanks for help so far everyone! I also have another question. The website I am creating is similar to a site in the US. That site has a .com domain (lets call it www.bsim.com!). Is there any issues with me having a similar site and use the same name with a .ie domain (eg. www.bsim.ie)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

There's no issue there (apart from the risk of you losing traffic to people who visit the .com instead of the .ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There's no issue there

thats not necessarily true. For instance the company could have a registered trade name in Ireland and you may be violating that trade name i.e. if you tried to use pepsi.ie I am sure you will get a cease and desit letter.

There was even a bar called Bak of Ireland in California several years ago who to change their name after Bank of Ireland took them to court.

So be careful.

Advertisement