Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erasmus Questions

Options
  • 31-01-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a first year BA Psychology student in Maynooth and I would like to go abroad for third year.

I was thinking somewhere like Portugal as I like the sunshine and the country.

Few questions I would like to ask regarding the 3rd year abroad;

1. When do you leave for your chosen country?

2. Do you move into on-campus accomodation when term starts or earlier?

3. Is there many activities for fellow international students to mingle?

4. Would it be wise to turn down a destination if you don't know the language well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

For the first 3 questions you should contact your University because it's very dependent on where you go.

For question 4, it isn't a necessity to be fluent in the language of the host erasmus country but it's advised that you have a basic understanding, otherwise it'll be extremely difficult to cope with the course and to integrate into the way of life in said country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Get on to the international office karaeokeman (I can never spell your username!) They're over in Humanity House, on the top floor. The college has to have a link with the one abroad for you to be able study there for the year, so they will be able to give you a list of places in Portugal or wherever :) Anyone I know who went on erasmus absolutely loved it, so I'm sure you will too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Get on to the international office karaeokeman (I can never spell your username!) They're over in Humanity House, on the top floor. The college has to have a link with the one abroad for you to be able study there for the year, so they will be able to give you a list of places in Portugal or wherever :) Anyone I know who went on erasmus absolutely loved it, so I'm sure you will too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks for the replies guys/gals :).

Not really sure at the moment seen as how I'm still in 1st year but I will defo visit Humanity House and talk to them about it.

Might try learn an extra language this summer just in case, what worries me most is the amount of reading I'd need to do in a different language unless I could go to America (which I heard can be costly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Don't touch the destination if you don't know the language fluently (as in can write essays and understand lectures no problem). I have two friends who went to France and Italy who failed all their exams due the fact they just couldn't understand the language to a high enough level for university.

Have you considered the Netherlands? A lot of their courses are taught through English.

• Advertisement
Advertisement