Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny College, Senior Cup

Options
  • 31-01-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Leinster Schools Senior Cup Rugby 2012
    Kicking off in the 1st Round this Thursday against St.Andrew's at Naas 2.30pm.
    Have got a very favourable draw with most of the favourites having to face off in the other side of the draw. Enter the Cup as League champions. Should be an interesting campaign for them.

Wish them the best of luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

What sport is this, hurling I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    What sport is this, hurling I presume?

I think its some thing called Rugby from what OP said. They use an oval shaped ball and run at each other ...... they don't even use sticks in it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    I think its some thing called Rugby from what OP said. They use an oval shaped ball and run at each other ...... they don't even use sticks in it!

OP only edited the post to include rugby after the question was asked ;)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

OP only edited the post to include rugby after the question was asked ;)

Ops, my bad! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    What sport is this, hurling I presume?[/QUOTE

Oh I forgot that there's only one sport in KK, hurling or nothing :)
    Bad news for you, Kilkenny College don't do hurling woo hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

domkk wrote: »
    Oh I forgot that there's only one sport in KK, hurling or nothing :)
    Bad news for you, Kilkenny College don't do hurling woo hoo!

Thank god because they'd be ****. Stick to the hockey. Much more manly stick game.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Well they have got off to an impressive start.

@kilkennycollege
    Kilkenny College
    Leinster Senior Cup. Kilkenny College 39-7 St.Andrew’s College
    1 hour ago via web

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

Well good luck to them,
    who are they up against next and when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

500sel wrote: »
    Well good luck to them,
    who are they up against next and when?
    They play on the 26th in donnybrook against the winners of CBC Monkstown and C.U.S who play next wednesday

• Advertisement

From the Times this week, insight into kind of commitment these guys put in.

Kicking exam pressure to touch

MY EDUCATION WEEK: Evan Kelly, Senior Cup rugby team, Kilkenny College

SATURDAY

Woke up at home in Edenderry after a long week in school, rugby training and studying for my mocks. I board at Kilkenny College and come home every Friday night. When I get up I don’t lie about though. There’s plenty to be done on the family farm, especially now that it’s lambing season.

I help out as much as I can. I’m studying agricultural science for the Leaving and sometimes I share some of the theory with my Dad – grazing systems, types of slurry, stuff like that. So far he hasn’t really taken any of it on board though. I suppose there’s method to his madness. It would be hard to change his mind. Eventually I hope to run the farm myself so I can apply my Leaving Cert theory then, if it hasn’t all changed again by then.

I plan to go to college first though, and study engineering. For now though, it’s all about the mocks and the Senior Cup. One game at a time, as the professionals say.

SUNDAY

Headed down to the local rugby club to watch a game. Headed home after the match for a good roast dinner with the family before it’s back to boarding school food tonight. An hour’s supervised study back at school and that’s my weekend over. I’ve an early start to training tomorrow.

MONDAY

We’ve had a very full training schedule since September, although it feels more intense now because we’re in the middle of the Cup season and the mocks. We’re in the gym at 6.50am doing speed and agility training every Monday, Thursday and Friday, as well as out field training in the afternoons. The work in the gym involves running in and out of cones. Sounds dull but you really notice the difference out on the pitch.

After the gym I go back to class for my favourite subject, engineering. We’re all working hard for the mocks – I’m going to need at least 410 points for engineering at NUI Galway and probably more – the points are expected to go up. As far as a career goes, I’ve always really planned to work the family farm. But I’ve always been told that I had to get a degree behind me and that’s what I will do.

At 3.40pm I’m back out field training until 5.15pm. Then I have three hours of supervised study in the dorm, as we do every night. A very full day.

TUESDAY

Tuesday is rest day from training so I have a chance to focus on my engineering project for the Leaving Cert. I’m designing a Lunar Roving Vehicle – a moon buggy, in other words. Engineering is my favourite subject because it’s very hands on and that’s what I’m used to, working on the farm.

When I’m home there’s plenty of talk about study and the mocks but my parents are BIG rugby fans so I can usually steer them off the topic when all the talk of exams gets too much. My three sisters wouldn’t be quite so mad into rugby so a bit of compromise is required – I keep my mouth shut during Emmerdale . And Coronation Street .

My parents sent me to boarding school in Kilkenny because education is very important to them, but I know the rugby had a part to play too. Our team is doing very well so, while they do put a lot of emphasis on schoolwork, their very excited about the rugby too. They come to all the games.

This year Kilkenny College won the Leinster League for the first time, beating Castleknock College by a point before Christmas. Things are looking good. On Thursday we play St Andrew’s for a place in the quarter finals of the Leinster Cup.

WEDNESDAY

Back to training with a vengeance – tomorrow we take on St Andrews. Field training today and an early night. In the afternoon I had a photoshoot for this diary. The lads were leaning out the dorm windows giving me plenty of stick. I should have ironed my kit, apparently. I’m going to get slagged for this one way or the other. I like boarding though. You make great friends.

I suppose there’s not much time left for anything outside rugby training and study, but the structure suits me. The routine is organised in such a way that the study and the training don’t clash. The fresh air and exercise I get training makes it easier to settle down to the books when I get in so it’s not a bad balance, even if it sounds full on. There are lots of different sports played here, so it’s not all about rugby. Still, at the moment with the team doing so well, there’s definitely a bit of a rugby buzz around.

THURSDAY

A great match and a great win – we beat St Andrew’s 39/7. There’s a great atmosphere around the school. This is not the first time that Kilkenny College has made it to the quarter finals of the Leinster Cup but with the League win behind us we’re feeling very positive. Our next game will be against CUS on the 26th of this month. I’m not exactly nervous but there will be renewed focus on the training tomorrow.

Tonight had a read of the Farmer’s Journal , as I usually do on a Thursday – good for my subject and good for the talk around the dinner table. Quite a lot of the people I board with are from farming backgrounds so it’s not that unusual to be seen reading it. I haven’t got time to read much else.

Almost at the end of another week – I‘m looking forward to a training game against Castleknock College on Saturday and the return of the GAA season back in Edenderry on Sunday. I play for the local football team and we got to the county final last year.

With our Castleknock game on Saturday, football training and the ewes about to lamb my weekend is pretty well mapped out. My only relaxation, I suppose, is sitting in the tractor listening to Beat FM and the odd half hour on Facebook. I was never one for sitting around watching television anyway. Apart from Emmerdale , but I haven’t got a choice in that, do I?

THIS WEEK I WAS . . .

READING The Farmer’s Journal

WATCHING Coronation Street (no choice, three sisters)

LISTENING TO Beat FM on the tractor

BROWSING Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Nothing against Kilkenny College, but I might be less totally indifferent to them if they had 15 Kilkenny players on it. The Kilkenny College rugby team represents the school, and all the best to them. They do not represent Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Mankbag wrote: »
    Nothing against Kilkenny College, but I might be less totally indifferent to them if they had 15 Kilkenny players on it. The Kilkenny College rugby team represents the school, and all the best to them. They do not represent Kilkenny.

Odd that you bothered to register to post your indifference.

Sure they'll struggle on without your support.

Am quite sure they will!

Didn't "register to post my indifference", btw. It was not my first post on the site. Please do try and pay more attention in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a local so not sure, but is Kilkenny College a fee paying school?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Not a local so not sure, but is Kilkenny College a fee paying school?

Yup

Prop star Delahunt's powerful pack can push Kilkenny past CUS

By Des Berry
    Thursday February 23 2012

CUS v Kilkenny College, Donnybrook, Sunday 3.0

Leinster League champions Kilkenny have a juggernaut pack of forwards, led by dynamic Ireland U18 Schools loose-head Shane Delahunt, also their appointed captain.

They have 11 back from last year's squad and handled St Andrew's easily 39-7 in the first round. Number eight Ross Deacon is another bull of a man on the ball. He will take stopping off the back of scrum and ruck.

In behind, the neat half-back pairing of Dylan Leybourne and Evan Kelly are the brains of the operation, keeping their pack on the front foot. Centres Ross Bailey-Kearney and Sam Sterling are not shy of contact in the midfield.

CUS fly-half Marc Hiney became an instant hero when slotting the winning penalty right at the death of their 13-10 ding-dong struggle against CBC Monkstown in the first round.

Hiney is an elegant ball-playing fly-half and he looks to find Leinster U18 inter-pro Ruadhan Magee, their big threat in the centre.

Twins Mark and Kevin Beakey tend to lead the charge from the back row.

Short on representative quality, the secret to their success has been the unity of purpose shown by hooker Brian Keelan's team. It was his superb individual try that made believers out of his side in round one.

Verdict: Kilkenny

CUS: C Divney; K Lynsky, R Magee, A Neary, J Fallon-Doran; M Hiney, M O'Driscoll; J Fisher, B Keelan (capt), M McCann, D Gahan, J Gavin, K Beakey, A Quinlan, M Beakey.

Kilkenny (Possible): H Rhys-Thomas; T Bulfin, S Sterling, R Bailey-Kearney, S Williams; E Kelly, D Leybourne; J Baker, R Foot, S Delahunt (capt), G Mullins, J Moynan, H Crowley, M Triggs, R Deacon.

- Des Berry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

POWERADE LEINSTER SCHOOLS SENIOR CUP QUARTER FINAL:
    At Donnybrook -

CUS 17; Kilkenny College 22

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/schools/8580.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They lost to St. Michaels today, 13-3.

• Advertisement

Very respectful run for the college, when you see the pick some of those other schools have, it is a great achievement to be competing at the highest level of schools rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 outroight

Maybe nobody explained to you that they represent kilkenny COLLEGE ,as do terenure ,roscrea , blackrock ,newbridge , etc represent their schools .Thats why its called SCHOOLS RUGBY . Kilkenny have club rugby too ,hopefully you arent as INDIFFERENT to them as they probably strive to represent kilkenny city /county and would have a lot of locals playing !

outroight wrote: »
    Maybe nobody explained to you that they represent kilkenny COLLEGE ,as do terenure ,roscrea , blackrock ,newbridge , etc represent their schools .Thats why its called SCHOOLS RUGBY . Kilkenny have club rugby too ,hopefully you arent as INDIFFERENT to them as they probably strive to represent kilkenny city /county and would have a lot of locals playing !

I already stated they "represent the school", so why are you asking if I'm aware of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 outroight

i just dont understand why you would post in a "schools rugby" thread to single out kilkenny for not having all kilkenny players , when every school mentioned has players from outside their locality .

outroight wrote: »
    i just dont understand why you would post in a "schools rugby" thread to single out kilkenny for not having all kilkenny players , when every school mentioned has players from outside their locality .

Do you really think the people of Newbridge are dancing in the streets when Newbridge College win a game?

And whatever about the other schools, I wouldn't have thought that Terenure College had too many players from outside their locality.

Do you really think the people of Newbridge are dancing in the streets when Newbridge College win a game?

And whatever about the other schools, I wouldn't have thought that Terenure College had too many players from outside their locality.
    So what if the people of newbridge dont.
    Schools like Kilkenny College/Cistercian Roscrea/Newbridge all have plenty of players outside their areas because they are boarding schools and in the case kilkenny college caters predominantly for protestant children. Take 1 or 2 of this years kilkenny senior cup squad who are from nenagh. they attend KK college because they are COI and that is the religion of the school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

This has gotten ridiculous. What difference is it what religion the players are or where they come from. They are representing a Kilkenny school and I'm sure everyone from Kilkenny would like to see a Kilkenny school do well.

It's a schools rugby thread, supporting children representing Kilkenny.

ft9 wrote: »
    This has gotten ridiculous. What difference is it what religion the players are or where they come from. They are representing a Kilkenny school and I'm sure everyone from Kilkenny would like to see a Kilkenny school do well.

It's a schools rugby thread, supporting children representing Kilkenny.
    It has went a bit OT
    Best of luck to them in their next games esp centre Sam Sterling from Nenagh who is on his 3rd year on the senior cup team

They are kids playing rugby, best of luck them, they're better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Exactly fair play and best of luck to Kilkenny College this year. St Kierans are one of the most successful hurling schools in the country and they have players from all over the country playing with them through the years. I would imagine some players even picked the school from other counties based on their hurling tradition.

Advertisement