Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Dunboyne as a place to live?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

A the title says, any opinions on life in dunboyne? I like the fact the train times to and from Dublin are fairly frequent but it's still close enough to the countryside. What's the town itself like, is it rough, what about pubs/shops etc?

Any and all opinions are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Quandary

Bump...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good location in terms of access, you'd get a bigger house in Dunboyne than in most Dublin suburbs. (Before anyone says it, I know where Dunboyne is, but it is effectively a Dublin suburb at this stage).

It's a bit built up for my liking, but there are some nice smaller estates. Good choice of schools, my young lad was in the Gaelscoil there before we moved and was very happy there.

There's the Dunboyne Castle Hotel, and also the community centre hall beside St. Peter's school for leisure facilities.

Excellent transport links now with the train and buses into town, plus the improvements to the N/M3 help an awful lot. For shopping, you're 10 mins from Blanch SC.

As to whether it's rough or not, I'm sure someone else can address that - I'm sure it has it's dodgy areas like anywhere else, but it never stood out to me as being a rough spot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Quandary

PauloMN wrote: »
    Good location in terms of access, you'd get a bigger house in Dunboyne than in most Dublin suburbs. (Before anyone says it, I know where Dunboyne is, but it is effectively a Dublin suburb at this stage).

It's a bit built up for my liking, but there are some nice smaller estates. Good choice of schools, my young lad was in the Gaelscoil there before we moved and was very happy there.

There's the Dunboyne Castle Hotel, and also the community centre hall beside St. Peter's school for leisure facilities.

Excellent transport links now with the train and buses into town, plus the improvements to the N/M3 help an awful lot. For shopping, you're 10 mins from Blanch SC.

As to whether it's rough or not, I'm sure someone else can address that - I'm sure it has it's dodgy areas like anywhere else, but it never stood out to me as being a rough spot at all.

Thanks for the information! It seems like a nice place from what I've seen, I must check it up a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I live in Dunboyne. Moved there about 6 years ago and i must say, i love it. Could never see myself moving !

As Paul said, you have everything you need on your door stop. Train is great but having the choice of a night link is brilliant !

loads of places to eat, newest place La Bucca is jammers nearly every night, gym, shops etc and then you have Blanch 15 mins away.

There is four pubs, each with its own feel, but you can beat Bradys on a thursday for a Trad session!

Rough? must say i feel very safe around the area, even if im walking home from the pub on my own at 2am. Never saw a fight breaking out in any of the pubs. It is a village and it does have a "villagey" (sp) feel to it. Most people say hello to each other and there would be regular village fairs taking place like, running clubs, cake sales, car boot sales, motor racing..etc

Any questions, let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

it does have BJJ...........

• Advertisement

Hi, I grew up there and still have family living in Dunboyne. It was a great place to grow up and mostly still is. So close to everything, yet feels like a village. Decent pubs and places to eat out, schools are well resourced and huge range of activities for kids. Few little issues with young people hanging around Spar at times, but besides that I don't hear of any big problems. A bonus is there are loads of safe walks around the place so if you or oh like to walk, or have a dog, it's ideal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Frere_Jaques

Just out of interest Suzie, where's the best dog walks around the area? Always looking to take our fella out somewhere new but a lot of land seems to be private/farmers land :)

Hi, have you asked any of the private owners? they're usually ok with walkers.

The end of the Industrial Estate has everything any dog could want! Long grass, lots of smells of other dogs etc.. The brother brings his two up there every night and nobody has ever bothered him (except maybe other dogs).

The Cow Park near Loughsallagh, just after Sean Boylan's was also a good spot. Not sure what's happening with the proposed sports centre. The field beside the church carpark and Tom's field. Don't think anyone would argue with you about walking in any of those places...

Also noticed a new footpath at Woodpark recently, going from the old house where the Riordans used to be filmed, up to near the Trim Road.
    Happy Walking :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

susiespark wrote: »
    Hi, I grew up there and still have family living in Dunboyne. It was a great place to grow up and mostly still is. So close to everything, yet feels like a village. Decent pubs and places to eat out, schools are well resourced and huge range of activities for kids. Few little issues with young people hanging around Spar at times, but besides that I don't hear of any big problems. A bonus is there are loads of safe walks around the place so if you or oh like to walk, or have a dog, it's ideal :)

tbh i think every Spar in Ireland has teenagers hanging outside them! I dont live in Dunboyne but it seems a good place, I went to the Dunboyne College of Further Education for one year a few years back and had a great time there, loads of places to go for a lunch there. Dunboyne is propably the best place to live in Meath in terms of transport, facilities and closeness to Dublin/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

Old thread i know, Dunboyne is an excellent place to live, Centre of the village is about to get a new supervalue soon. Schools are great . Close to everything Blanchardstown shopping ctr has to offer. It will always retain the village feel .

• Advertisement
Advertisement