Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Media Blocked?

• 31-01-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

So facebook and twitter are blocked on the campus PC's.

Are they blocked on the wireless too? My laptop charger is busted so i can't check.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just checked on my phone. Working on the wireless.

Doesn't bother me too much. Was a pain in the face going into A block to work on an assignment or something and waiting for a PC while people sat there on facebook or watching youtube vids

Its about time! I was sick of people sitting at computers on Facebook (and generally eating loads of crap!) while I was looking for a computer to upload a file.

I honestly think some people were just going in to the college to go on facebook and have a talk with their friends, rather than go to class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Yep, social networking sites facebook, twitter, bebo, etc. all blocked on the network. I'm not sure about youtube though, memory is a little hazy lol. It was decided at the student forum last semester, leave the facilities for those who actually need them for college work rather than just fecking about :)

Lola92 wrote: »
    Yep, social networking sites facebook, twitter, bebo, etc. all blocked on the network. I'm not sure about youtube though, memory is a little hazy lol. It was decided at the student forum last semester, leave the facilities for those who actually need them for college work rather than just fecking about :)
    YouTube still works fine.

Thanks! I couldn't quite remember what the decision had been on that one as a lot of lecturers use it in their teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Really annoyed they blocked Wordpress and Tumblr. In our course we are required to use one or both of the bloggin sites. We even did an entire module on using Wordpress, and the college has blocked it. Very Clever. Really glad they blocked Facebook though!

Leelaa22 wrote: »
    Really annoyed they blocked Wordpress and Tumblr. In our course we are required to use one or both of the bloggin sites. We even did an entire module on using Wordpress, and the college has blocked it. Very Clever. Really glad they blocked Facebook though!
    You should contact the IT dept. and student union about the matter, they may unblock it.

Absolutely. There is another student forum coming up towards the end of Feb so ask your class rep to bring it up for ye. :)

What!!! Why in the good flip did they block wordpress?? :eek::confused:

jackie-chan.jpg

Why would someone even suggest that? Was there a swarm of bloggers hogging all the computers? :rolleyes:

Is it just wordpress.com or what? Does not make sense at all....

I had no knowledge of blogging sites being blocked, I though it was just the more popular social networking sites! If it is something used validly as a part of a course I can't see why they wouldn't reinstate access to it. After all that is the whole point of having computers in college!

• Advertisement

I believe it must have gone something like this....

73223a25-7d64-45ae-a514-5b5161e6edaf.png

KonFusion wrote: »
    Haha!! Brilliant!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

First I've heard of it.. everything is fine on wireless alright. Makes sense I guess... other then wordpress / tumblr ...

Kind of reeks of a tick the box to block all social sites rather then just block fb.

Also... cs students plotting ...no no... we would never do such a thing...
    5995232280_a5ef4d23b0_b.jpg?1323297003
    >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

73223a25-7d64-45ae-a514-5b5161e6edaf.png

hahahah that is brilliant!!! dam IT students give us back wordpress and tumblr. TBH I didnt even know aboout these sites untill college they are requirments for CA and our Final Year Project. If they were worth marks to yous I'm sure you's would be blogging away too. and yes I do love our mac labs :)

Leelaa22 wrote: »

hahahah that is brilliant!!! dam IT students give us back wordpress and tumblr. TBH I didnt even know aboout these sites untill college they are requirments for CA and our Final Year Project. If they were worth marks to yous I'm sure you's would be blogging away too. and yes I do love our mac labs :)
    Us IT students would have no problem getting around the blocking ;)

Wordpress is back. Tumblr still blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Started to seem like a good thing with wordpress unlocked... but no tumblr..
    freddie-mercury-so-close-pose1.jpg

Advertisement