Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Myrtle Beach 2012

Options
  • 31-01-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Small group of lads here heading to Myrtle Beach for a J1. Few Questions.

Firstly for those who have been before, what is the best way to get there? I see flights are quite expensive so would I be better off flying to Atlanta and travelling from there?

Secondly will the place be flooded with Irish? We could like to find some other Irish people over there but not too many. No point going across the world just to be surrounded by Irish in every bar...

Also some of the group is under 21 so I would like to know whether they are strict on Id.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

during the summer they get very strict on IDs.....I wasn't there on J1 but i did visit for a week with my wife and only encountered a handfull of irish and that was right in the middle of july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 usernamefml

Hey we're 4/6 girls heading over aswel, haven't heard of many heading over at all, which is a good thing! Ocean City and Chicago are going to be flooded with Irish. Have heard the ID thing isn't too bad either from people there in 2007 and 2011 and that ya'll always get in somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

Hey we're 4/6 girls heading over aswel, haven't heard of many heading over at all, which is a good thing! Ocean City and Chicago are going to be flooded with Irish. Have heard the ID thing isn't too bad either from people there in 2007 and 2011 and that ya'll always get in somewhere!

I think you might be right about the amount of Irish, I imagine there will be some but not as much as other years as Ocean city seems to be the main spot this year.

Do you mind me asking how much your flights cost? Usit have quited us close to 1000 for flights alone. Also have you looked into accomadation? We were considering somehwere like the rainbow court motel.

Ours cost 1050€ with usit aswel, we booked them this week. We're flying home from miami on the 22nd of august. We're flyin out the 26th of may with long layovers, its a balls but those were the only alright dates that usit had left for us. We think we'l be livin in the rainbow court aswel we'v heard good things about it so just have to go about it now!
    Kerrybai wrote: »

I think you might be right about the amount of Irish, I imagine there will be some but not as much as other years as Ocean city seems to be the main spot this year.

Do you mind me asking how much your flights cost? Usit have quited us close to 1000 for flights alone. Also have you looked into accomadation? We were considering somehwere like the rainbow court motel.

Ours cost 1050€ with usit aswel, we booked them this week. We're flying home from miami on the 22nd of august. We're flyin out the 26th of may with long layovers, its a balls but those were the only alright dates that usit had left for us. We think we'l be livin in the rainbow court aswel we'v heard good things about it so just have to go about it now!

Ended up having to pay 1089 for flights, should of really sorted it before Christmas but at least we've sorted it now. Going out on the 3rd of June via Atlanta. I've emailed Rainbow Court but have not heard from them yet. I suspect they wont be open until about March

• Advertisement

Iv'e heard that Rainbow court is closed. Don't know for sure though. I'll have to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaaboy

Hi... For all of you thinking of Myrtle Beach Summer 2012.. I am currently looking into the possibility of opening a 100% Irish dedicated budget accommodation centre for J-1 Students. I have had first hand exp in the late 90,s as a student. I also witnessed the same difficulties Irish students have, during a spell in Myrtle Beach last summer. Deposits not being returned, Horrendous conditions, high rent and landlords who take advantage. This often puts a bad taste on the place for students when they leave. I am also hoping to put together a comprehensive guide to the Myrtle Beach, incl, jobs info, cost of living, transport, social scene etc..All I can say is that I had 2 great summers as a student and the place had the same buzz when i returned last year. 50 miles of beach...what can i say... send me a mail for more info.. conorkeane@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Iv'e heard that Rainbow court is closed. Don't know for sure though. I'll have to look elsewhere.

I was in Myrtle Beach in 1998 and stayed in Rainbow Court...Best summer of my life. I am sure the place has changed a good bit since then. Neals bar was the local boozer beside the amusement park below...No issues with ID. Other bars were sticklers though...

I worked in the local amusement park doing hair wraps, wax hands and the guess your age, weight and birthday month.....Great craic...

Make sure you take a trip down south to Charlestown and if you have time and money some of the spots in Miami.

Wish I could do it all again....Great days

Hi Potsy11

Thanks for the reply..Yeah I was there in 98 and 99.. hadnt been back since last year.. it was only redundancy that gave me a chance to do a bit of travelling. Neals Bar.. what can i say.. the place was legendary.. would love to get my hands on the photos that were on the wall.. so many people from ireland passed through that bar.. yeah as you can see i am trying to get a type of accommadation centre off the ground.. irish were poorly treated last year in the place they stayed.. rainbow court closed a few years back.. some family issues i believe.. let me know if you have idea's.. the setting up tours to Charleston would definetely work... fabulous place..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

gaaboy wrote: »
    Hi Potsy11

Thanks for the reply..Yeah I was there in 98 and 99.. hadnt been back since last year.. it was only redundancy that gave me a chance to do a bit of travelling. Neals Bar.. what can i say.. the place was legendary.. would love to get my hands on the photos that were on the wall.. so many people from ireland passed through that bar.. yeah as you can see i am trying to get a type of accommadation centre off the ground.. irish were poorly treated last year in the place they stayed.. rainbow court closed a few years back.. some family issues i believe.. let me know if you have idea's.. the setting up tours to Charleston would definetely work... fabulous place..

If Rainbow Court is closed why don't you look at leasing it off them?? The place was full of Irish, decent pool area and reasonable location..you can go to Amusement parks and local eateries /bars and and set up as an agent for providing temp 'irish' workers. Lots of opportunities but Irish and J1 visas are messers (I was one) so watch out!!

I remember we had serious issues with the folks running RC and we staged a sit down protest outside their office...the Police were called and 6-7 squad cars arrived down...they were going to mace us all if we didnt move!! We were eventually kicked out and we took up residence in another motel that is on the walk towards Neal bar - I cant remember the name...oh the memories....

• Advertisement

yeah god they were some crazy nights down there alright... the numbers were huge back then though.. down to about 120 last year... thats a bit more manageable.. yeah rainbow court is on my list of visits.. i am heading over there for paddys to see what i can do.. did hear though the family behind the place had a falling out and it went legal so i may be best to keep away.. a lot of places like that also been taken over by banks etc.. so i hoping one of the many places between down along the boulevard would sub-let 30 or so rooms... i never stayed in rc as i was i stayed with my cousin who lives there.. he has a restaurant on the far side of what was the Pavillon amusement park...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nottherealdeal

I went there a few years ago and had the time of my life. Being underage is not a problem..you either are not IDd or else they accept a photocopy of a (changed) passport.
    We stayed in rainbow court... sad to see that it's closed down. Either way I would recommend staying in a complex with other Irish...more craic and you still are immersed in the very cultural myrtle beach! Jobs were very easy to come by when I went with most people getting 3 or 4 job offers. Family Kingdom (a theme park), icecream parlours and restauraunts were the biggest employers!

Just bumping this to ask whether anyone heading this direction has sorted accommodation? If motel options fall through we are considering getting a house and would liek to know how other people have gone about this.

Just bumping this to ask whether anyone heading this direction has sorted accommodation? If motel options fall through we are considering getting a house and would liek to know how other people have gone about this.
    Kerrybai we were looking for rainbow court which is now Beverley motel or whatever but all the **** about deposits and stuff is turning us off. Started looking into houses then but they're all fairly expensive unless ya overload them.. and a lot of the ads have specified no students! Theres 3 of us, how many is there of yee?

Kerrybai we were looking for rainbow court which is now Beverley motel or whatever but all the **** about deposits and stuff is turning us off. Started looking into houses then but they're all fairly expensive unless ya overload them.. and a lot of the ads have specified no students! Theres 3 of us, how many is there of yee?

Hi username fml,

There are 4 of us so we would certainly consider housesharing.

However One of the posters on this thread (Conor Keane) has informed me of securing accommodation similar to that of Rainbow court.

It is motel type accommodation which includes a kitchenette and bathroom. Most of the rooms hold 4 people, some hold 2 whilst one holds up to 10 people . The price is 80 dollars a week pp, but say you had 3 people in a 4 person room, then it would be 100. A deposit will be required and you wont have to pay any money until arrival.

It also has a pool. I dont know the exact address which is a concern, however I was informed that its located only 2 minutes or so from the ocean boulevard and is centrally located.

This seems like the best option right now as we wouldnt have deposit issues and also would be living alongside other J1'ers which would be good for making friends and having fun :D Finally a possible shuttle service was also mentioned which would be handy for bringing us to nightclubs etc, because by the looks of it Myrtle Beach is a sizeable enough place, although I'm sure taxis would suffice.

Here is Conor's email address if you would like to contact him, and also a facebook page dedicated to the subject.

conorkeane@hotmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/myrtlebeachirish2012

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sideways mary

was there last summer for 3 months, unreal craic.. stayed in the beverly motel, was a ****hole but we had the laugh there anyway! if anyone wants to know anything about myrtle beach, jobs, places to go or not to go, contacts etc.. just send me a message! would only love to be heading back this year!

Paul

Hi Paul..

I am coordinating some apartments this year in Myrtle Beach for the Irish on the J-1, Currently have over 60 booked in..Rooms generally hold 4.. 2 ins walk to MB centre and beach..Send me a mail to conorkeane@hotmail.com. Different location to last years place. I was there and saw the conditions .. Horrendous.. Will have tonnes of info on jobs and loads more also.. Check by http://www.facebook.com/myrtlebeachirish2012 also.. Regards

Kerrybai.. thanks for the help above.. Appreciate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AnthonyKav9

Ended up having to pay 1089 for flights, should of really sorted it before Christmas but at least we've sorted it now. Going out on the 3rd of June via Atlanta. I've emailed Rainbow Court but have not heard from them yet. I suspect they wont be open until about March
    Your on my Flight so , 3rd June 10 in the morning or somthing like that straight to ATL then another flight to Myrtle Beach

Your on my Flight so , 3rd June 10 in the morning or somthing like that straight to ATL then another flight to Myrtle Beach

Yep, I think we have a 7 hour layover too if I'm not mistaken. The price of the flight was very high unfortunately.

Where are you staying once you arrive?

• Advertisement

Yep, I think we have a 7 hour layover too if I'm not mistaken. The price of the flight was very high unfortunately.

Ye a 7 hour layover and its only a one hour flight after we nearly be better off getting a bus , were not sure where we staying yet , havent booked anywhere itl be a last minute job as usual haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dufferbrady

does anybody know if not being 21 causes much problem in myrtle beach? we kinda forgot to account for that when we booked our j1 ha

does anybody know if not being 21 causes much problem in myrtle beach? we kinda forgot to account for that when we booked our j1 ha

As far as I know its one of the less difficult locations. You could try photocopying your passport and telling bouncers you are afraid of losing your original.

Also I think many bars/clubs let in under 21s and just dont give them a band for buying alcohol, so if you had drank beforehand then you might be alright for the night.

I turn 21 over on June 21st but my friends will still be 20 so hopefully it works out for everyone :)

ye as far as i know you can get in everywhere once your 18 but you just cant drink you get a different color wrist band , your best bet is just drink before you go out and you will be alright then

ah right grand sure we'll sort something out sound lads!

Just booked our accommodation , were staying in court capri for the 1st while anyway might move on few weeks later

So lads anyone who's goin from dublin to Atlanta and then has that 7 hours or so wait.. Would anybody know if you're allowed leave the airport to kill time or are stuck there cuz ye would have to go back through security when ye wanna go back in? Just 7 hours in an airport sounds rough haha

So lads anyone who's goin from dublin to Atlanta and then has that 7 hours or so wait.. Would anybody know if you're allowed leave the airport to kill time or are stuck there cuz ye would have to go back through security when ye wanna go back in? Just 7 hours in an airport sounds rough haha

If you leave then you will have to go back through security. I imagine you would need to play it safe and leave yourself an hour to get back through. We fly out of atlanta at around 9pm so ye would need to head back to the airport allowing yourself time for delays etc.

Not sure what we are going to do yet. Im think we'll be too jetlagged to go exploring Atlanta for the sake of a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Lads I live in NC but I'm close to SC border you will be asked for ID. I'm a lot older than you and I still get asked for ID. Just so you know you cannot buy alcohol in SC on Sunday in any store, I couldn't believe it when we first got here we went across the border (3 miles away) taxes are cheaper so we thought we would stock up but it was like Good Friday in Ireland with all the signs up no alcohol sold on Sunday:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lazza_od

Kerrybai!
    Me and 8 other girls were in myrtle beach last summer, best summer ever..we're heading back on 2nd of june this year!
    we're taking same route as last year, flying cork to heathrow, heathrow to jfk, then flying from there to myrtle beach..not booking the internal flight til around march time though cos that'll be with spirit airlines and have to sort out the dollars etc!
    best place ever, unreal beaches, not too many irish but enough to have irish banter all the same.
    GOGOGOGO!

Advertisement