Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Johns Wort

• 31-01-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I was on st johns wort over christmas and new year but i dont think it did the right things for me at all, I cant explain it very well but it did have an effect on me but not the right effect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

It didn't make you feel happy then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Its not homeopathic,
    Its a proven anti depressent.
    I think you need a perscription to get it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although it has a bull****-sounding name, it's been used as an antidepressant for years.

It's been prescription-only in the Republic for more than ten years because the Irish Medicines Board were worried about losing out on money self-medication.

seamus wrote: »
    Although it has a bull****-sounding name, it's been used as an antidepressant for years.

It's been prescription-only in the Republic for more than ten years because the Irish Medicines Board were worried about losing out on money self-medication.

The same with 5-htp.

You can buy it in a health shop in the UK, over here you need a script.

Pile of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The same with 5-htp.

Seriously?

I was going to pick some up on Saturday.

Bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What exactly is the point of this thread?

According to wiki, it can be "associated with aggravating psychosis in schizophrenia."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Gingseng is good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Its a proven anti depressent.

There is some evidence to indicate that St. Johns Wort is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression, however there are also some negative studies, so it is far from being a proven antidepressant. There is also research indicating that it may interfere with several drugs, including birth control and heart disease medications, so if anyone is on any of those or indeed any medication, they should consult their doctor before taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

aint st john's wort used by women to mellow out their pms rage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

According to wiki, it can be "associated with aggravating psychosis in schizophrenia."
    Yeah the medical board only did it because of money and not any real danger:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It also interacts with a large amount of commonly prescribed drugs like Warfarin.

At the time it was "banned", I remember a number of health food shops were selling it loose for preparation as a tea. There were concerns at the time about variation in dosing as well, as a result of this.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it would be 6 posts before we got the "big Pharma want to ban everything they can't control line". It's worth noticing that most dispensaries that have it will be stocking products made by the more reputable "alternative medicine" manufacturers. The leviathans have no real interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

It affects the cytochrome P450 enzyme system which is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of constituents in the blood including drugs. It increases the breakdown of many commonly prescribed drugs leaving sub-therapeutic doses, most notably with warfarin which could be potentially fatal and oral contraceptive which could result in unwanted pregnancies. In 10 years as a pharmacist I've never seen a prescription for St. John's Wort so it's hardly a huge IMB money spinner. It's regulated because it's a dangerous drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

You can get it in Lidl here for around 2 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Can't you just wander round the woods picking this stuff? Are there any penalties for being in possession of it without prescription?

Seachmall wrote: »
    Seriously?

I was going to pick some up on Saturday.

Bollox.

Unfortunately yes, i always get mine when i am over in the UK. Handy stuff to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭gk5000

kellso81 wrote: »
    It affects the cytochrome P450 enzyme system which is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of constituents in the blood including drugs. It increases the breakdown of many commonly prescribed drugs leaving sub-therapeutic doses, most notably with warfarin which could be potentially fatal and oral contraceptive which could result in unwanted pregnancies. In 10 years as a pharmacist I've never seen a prescription for St. John's Wort so it's hardly a huge IMB money spinner. It's regulated because it's a dangerous drug.

There is also a potential reaction with anti-depression drugs, so you can't mix the two and must be off one for several weeks before starting the other.

On the money spinner end, it could be take some cash from the prosac brigade, but Irish doctors will never prescribe it, as it not understood as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

As mentioned before, the big issue is serious interaction with other meds. The problem with it having been over the counter, was that people didn't tell their doctors they were on it, because they didn't consider it a "drug". At least with it having to be prescribed, doctors are aware you are taking it and can avoid mixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

kellso81 wrote: »

thats cause people can stock up on it anywhere else in the world for half nothing. It must be just the 26 county "soil" that has an effect on it. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

doesn't everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

gk5000 wrote: »

On the money spinner end, it could be take some cash from the prosac brigade, but Irish doctors will never prescribe it, as it not understood as well.

And weirdly Prozac and other anti-depressants have been proven in studies to be no more effective than a placebo, with side-effects, whereas St. Johns Wort has been proven to be more effective in some cases of depression, with no possibility of an overdose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

As mentioned before, the big issue is serious interaction with other meds. The problem with it having been over the counter, was that people didn't tell their doctors they were on it, because they didn't consider it a "drug". At least with it having to be prescribed, doctors are aware you are taking it and can avoid mixing it.
    There are many, many potential interactions between all kinds of prescriptions drugs, and over the counter drugs or non-medical products. Warfarin for example can have serious interactions with aspirin and ibuprofen, both of which are commonly available over the counter or from supermarkets. But they can't be grown in your back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aindreas

I don't get why it's status was changed to prescription only... the plant grows wild all over the place, easy to grow. You can get it across the border in all health stores (and Tesco's have an own brand!) I think Ireland is the only place that has it prescription only.. It's the most common prescribed anti depressant for teenagers in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm always intrigued how people continue to perceive depression as some sort of biological disorder that can be 'fixed' with medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Nick Guats wrote: »
    I was on st johns wort over christmas and new year but i dont think it did the right things for me at all, I cant explain it very well but it did have an effect on me but not the right effect
    Did you smoke it or snort it OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

How is this thread still not locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Did you smoke it or snort it OP?

They closed there account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

aint st john's wort used by women to mellow out their pms rage?

Primrose oil, darling. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Primrose oil, darling. :p
    Smoked or snorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I took this for a while I thought it helped I stopped taking it when my supply ran out. I did go to a doctor for a prescription and he wanted to put me on prozac which I took for about 3 months, I don't know if it was the placebo effect but I thought the ST John worts was just as effective.

So I took a spin up to Newry and bought 6 months supply, you don't need a prescription there for it, I got over that malaise and I don't take anything now or over the last 5 years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

How is it a money spinner for the IMB?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Rescue Remedy is where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Unfortunately yes, i always get mine when i am over in the UK. Handy stuff to have.

are you actually allowed to bring it back into the country with you though? I'm guessing not.
    I'm always intrigued how people continue to perceive depression as some sort of biological disorder that can be 'fixed' with medicine.

depression does cause biological changes in your brain, depression can be hereditary you know, other times biological changes are brought on by stress/depression and medicine might be necessary to completely resolve any issues. I'm always surprised myself that people think it is as simple as coming out of some sort of bad mood.

Anyway while we're on the topic of these kinds of herbal medicines, valeriana or valerian root can be useful in bringing about some calm if you are suffering from anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭GombeanMan

--LOS-- wrote: »
    depression does cause biological changes in your brain, depression can be hereditary you know, other times biological changes are brought on by stress/depression and medicine might be necessary to completely resolve any issues. I'm always surprised myself that people think it is as simple as coming out of some sort of bad mood.

Hard drugs do the same. Depression or no Depression. The evidence for Depression as a biological disease of the brain is extremely shaky at best. Not saying it's not a disease, just that they haven't found any reputable evidence to support that hypothesis. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

But it actually can be a chemical disorder in your noggin, and even when it is brought on by the wonders of life for a lot of people medication is required off the bat because the problems that lead to depression aren't problems that can be sorted in a short timeframe, in this instance you're not 'fixing' depression - note you're the only one to imply as such - rather shutting it up until the root problem is solved.

I have some in my kitchen press. Got in a Boots store in Belfast out of curiosity. I stopped after realising it couldn't be taken with some headache medication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

So that stuff is wortless then?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anyway while we're on the topic of these kinds of herbal medicines, valeriana or valerian root can be useful in bringing about some calm if you are suffering from anxiety.

Also can be dangerous if taken in too high a dose (can cause miscarraige).

I would rather get anything used to treat an emotional issue from a pharmacist who can give me reliable evidence based information about it, whether it is "herbal" or "pharmacuetical". If that meas getting a script form a GP, then so be it.

The advice available in some health shops is well dodgy. E.g., "your kidneys are the source of your energy and depression is a sign of a blockage in your kidneys. You need to take this ridiculously priced preperation to de-toxify. ":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

depression does cause biological changes in your brain,
    other times biological changes are brought on by stress/depression

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7399368n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I believe a lot of stuff like this is getting banned in a way in the UK. Tribulus is another being banned along with melatonin.

So stock up now if you use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I believe a lot of stuff like this is getting banned in a way in the UK. Tribulus is another being banned along with melatonin.

So stock up now if you use it.

lol'd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

go to a health food shop with a certified herbalist, ask for Passion Flower tincture. 200ml is approx €20, and well worth it. It is a potent anti-anxiety herb, I was recommended to take 15ml twice a day with some warm water. Works like Valium but maybe not as strong, you don't need a prescription.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1.. I drink Valarian tea at night and I swear by it... sleep like a log after a mug of that stuff..

Dr. Stuart's Valarian tea bags from the Health Shops.. Good sh1t!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GombeanMan wrote: »
    The evidence for Depression as a biological disease of the brain is extremely shaky at best.
    So what causes it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This has moved into medical discussion, not allowed as some fool will overdose on something and blame boards because they read about it here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement