Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dublin taxis safe?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

I ask this question in light of moves by Minister of State for Public and Commuter Transport Alan Kelly to seek to drive criminality out of the industry.

Personally I've had a few hair raising experiences with Dublin taxis. On one occasion I was assaulted when I asked the driver to stop talking.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0609/1224298641834.html

Comments

hese include claims of fraudulent use of taxi plates such as “cloning” – running two cars with the same number plates – using fraudulent documentation, taxi licences and NCT certification.

The review will also look at the number of taxis and the practice of individual ownership of multiple licences, as well as the suitability of the holders of licences.
    He said most taxi drivers were honest and law-abiding and the review would support their entitlement to make a living.

eh yeah i'd say so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

I ask this question in light of moves by Minister of State for Public and Commuter Transport Alan Kelly to seek to drive criminality out of the industry.

Personally I've had a few hair raising experiences with Dublin taxis. On one occasion I was assaulted when I asked the driver to stop talking.

Why did you ask the taxi driver to stop talking?

bluewolf wrote: »
    eh yeah i'd say so

You don't think most taxi drivers are honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I would imagine they are no more or less safe than Dublin streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I hope you reported this to the police.

I have never had an issue with aggresive behaviour from any taxi driver in Dublin and I have been in lots. I believe Dublin taxis are very safe.

I suggest there is about the same amount of scumbags operating as taxi drivers in Dublin as there is in any other industry that is equally easy to enter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

there's been a very big increase in Nigerians into the industry.
    most are polite and helpful tbh, but some could do with improving their "knowledge" imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

You should of asked him for a handjob. There'd be more chance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

imo, on friday/sat nights, its not safe on the roads of Dublin city for any other driver/road users because of bad and dangerous driving by Dublins taxis.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056487218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I would have serious issues with taxi drivers.. They are not vetted any way near enough... A number of the Irish taxi drivers have criminal convictions and we have no idea of the background of the foreign nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I agree. It's not just the Nigerians that need to update the knowledge. Some of our own could do the same too. Taxi drivers in Dublin (and other irish cities & towns) should have an A-Z knowledge test of their area before applying and be like those in other european cities who have no choice but to know it. As for the criminal element they should be completely removed from the taxi business, both Irish and foreign nationals alike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

probably my most disliked group of people on this island, they're not dangerous physically but they can be extremely dangerous to your finances if you let them! Most are awful drivers too.

Got brought to a garda station by one before for refusing to pay a €60 fare, talked to the Garda and only had to pay €15 when I explained that he had driven me all over the place, including missing an exit on the M50 twice!

One of the happiest moments of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope...nearly got knocked down by one a while back...dangerous things. Drivers ain't much safer either.

wasn't there a case of some guy who allegedly butchered a girl in Thailand, his family allegedly bribed officials, he then fled accross the border to Vietnam and is now driving a taxi in Dublin.

Just pray your darling daughter/girl friend/wife never gets a late night lift with that guy!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wasn't there a case of some guy who allegedly butchered a girl in Thailand, his family allegedly bribed officials, he then fled accross the border to Vietnam and is now driving a taxi in Dublin.

Just pray your darling daughter/girl friend/wife never gets a late night lift with that guy!:eek:

Ah...a racist thread in disguise...kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Of course they're safe. This country is so tame how can anyone seriously be questioning the safety of taxis!?
    Nobody should be doubt the safety of something like getting a taxi.
    This is like the old thing of people saying drugs dealers put poison in there drugs, why would they want to kill/hurt their customers.

Paulzx wrote: »
    You should of asked him for a handjob. There'd be more chance of it

i would, but he wasn't my type and my g/f would probably have had to move seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Depends what NCAP rating they have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

Think you got that arse ways. As far as i remember a dublin taxi driver went to thailand on holidays/to live, butchered a girl he tied up, tried to hop over a few walls to escape but was captured.

his last words to the media were, 'i know whats waiting for me, they're going to chain me to a wall'

i think he's still chained to that wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ah...a racist thread in disguise...kudos.

:confused: how do you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

I've never had a problem with a taxi driver here, but I'm sure there are dodgy ones just like with everything else, good and bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

The nature has gone out of people these days, and by the sound of things brains as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

there's been a very big increase in Nigerians into the industry.
    most are polite and helpful tbh, but some could do with improving their "knowledge" imo.

1.) Black does not = Nigerian
    2.)You're only noticing them now!?? Wake up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

I prefer blaxis' as they are more likely to have hip-hop music to listen to on the journey home, rather than listening to some salt of the earth ramblings about "foddeners".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Knowing a few taxi men I can assure you that there is a strong criminal element amoung them. The general scamming carried out by the average driver is generally criminal but no more than plasterer or electrician.

It is also an easy cover to explain income that comes from elsewhere.

The problem is I think you could by a plate before and there was no checks on people but now there is a check

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Dangerous probably not, but they should all be made to do tests on general tourist landmarks because some haven't a f***ing clue and it's not on when you're paying for a service. I got into a cab about two weeks ago with an Irish guy, asked him to take me to Generator Hostel. He told me flat he had no idea and asked where it was. I said Smithfield Square. He didn't know where that was either and he could try Smithfield but I said no I'd leave it. So I got out and got into the next one, happens to be a Nigerian who said he knew it. He drove around for 30 minutes around Blackhorse and that general area. He hadn't a f***ing clue either and was chancing his arm ringing and stopping people. I eventually got out, meter at 25 quid and handed him 5 quid and said thanks. He pointed to the meter and I said no way there's 5 you can forget the rest! Cops happened to be across the way He started muttering but f*** that. I didn't get to my destination so no way am I paying for him spinning around for half an hour. Then I got into another one with another guy, who was also foreign (Middle Eastern). He'd no idea either, but by pure fluke stopped some tourist who pointed us right.

It's a joke they didn't know where one of the biggest hostel chains in Europe was in the city centre. They should be made do tests of the area before they get the licence, it's not like you have much recourse after the fact is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

bordsie wrote: »
    I prefer blaxis' as they are more likely to have hip-hop music to listen to on the journey home, rather than listening to some salt of the earth ramblings about "foddeners".

Exactly what i was going to say, there is so much racism in this country but we like to pretend we are all so enlightened

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Plus you can always have a good laugh with the blaxis, generally more cheerful than the auld Irish lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Knowing a few taxi men I can assure you that there is a strong criminal element amoung them.

No need for this kind of ignorance, :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I trust them. I choose wisely. If u don't fit my profile no work for u.. but I always ring for my taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No need for this kind of ignorance, :rolleyes: would you rather them scrounge dole like most of the people on it. i guess claiming the dole is similar to theivery in a way...
    It is the absoulte opposite of ignorance it is knowledge. I'd rather everybody obeyed the laws and paid their taxes. Every taxi person I know is scamming one way or another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement