Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dublin taxis safe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is the absoulte opposite of ignorance it is knowledge. I'd rather everybody obeyed the laws and paid their taxes. Every taxi person I know is scamming one way or another.

Maybe that says more about you and the people you know than taxi drivers in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

You wouldn't see a Blaxi blocking "O'Coddell Streee" during rush hour on a weekday that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every taxi person I know is scamming one way or another.

No different to landlords so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bordsie wrote: »
    You wouldn't see a Blaxi blocking "O'Coddell Streee" during rush hour on a weekday that's for sure.

Try drive up or down it at 2am on a Friday or Saturday night of the week!.

Personally I trust the vast majority of taxi driver's, but damn there are soo many of the bastards in Dublin now - never seen anything like it anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Galtee wrote: »
    Maybe that says more about you and the people you know than taxi drivers in general.
    Maybe but as some are not who I would call friends and meet them through other people I don't think so. So you claim they generally declare all their income and don't pull any scams?

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No different to landlords so ;)
    How many LL do you actually KNOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

there's been a very big increase in Nigerians into the industry.
    most are polite and helpful tbh, but some could do with improving their "knowledge" imo.

You could say the same about any nationality.

The amount of Dublin based drivers who haven't a clue of anywhere more than a mile from their local rank.

Got one guy last week who had to be directed from Heuston to an apartment block off Patrick Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Try drive up or down it at 2am on a Friday or Saturday night of the week!.

Personally I trust the vast majority of taxi driver's, but damn there are soo many of the bastards in Dublin now - never seen anything like it anywhere in the world.

I mean the time the taxis decided to block the road on purpose that time around 5pm on a thurs and it took 3hours to get home by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

imo they are relatively safe , i haven't had any bad incident involving a taxi before. im one of the lucky ones and not experienced some of what other bad experiences others boardsies have had to put up with. the problem is the industry now is so badly regulated that it is no surprise the amount of illegal plates.

Maybe but as some are not who I would call friends and meet them through other people I don't think so. So you claim they generally declare all their income and don't pull any scams?

Well I'm in the same boat as you. I know a few taxi drivers some personally and some through friends and they declare all of their income and don't pull any scams to the best of my knowledge so... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I reckon they're safe enough.

The worst incident I've ever experienced was when a taxi brought a Dutch colleague of mine from Dublin Airport to our office on the Longmile Road. I got 3 phone calls for directions from my colleague, one when the taxi headed the wrong way up the N7 and was going through Rathcoole.

When he eventually got there I went out with the money I'd got from petty cash to pay the taxi driver the "normal" fare (around €40) which would have included a tip. The driver, of African origins, refused to accept the payment and started a song and dance about needing to be paid nearly double. I told him that he was mad if he thought we were going to pay extra because he did not know his way around Dublin. He shouted abuse, played the race card and threatened to phone the police. I told him to go ahead, he then had the cheek to ask to use a phone in reception. I told him to use his own or find a call box.

The whole episode cost us in productivity too because we were waiting to start a meeting and it had taken the idiot over an hour and a half to get the Dutch guy from the airport (normally 30 - 45 minutes).

I later phoned the taxi company to tell them what happened and that we had paid the driver all that we were prepared to pay. No complaints from the taxi company. It sounded like it wasn't the first time it had happened with this particular driver.

Galtee wrote: »
    Well I'm in the same boat as you. I know a few taxi drivers some personally and some through friends and they declare all of their income and don't pull any scams to the best of my knowledge so... :confused:
    Did you ever ask them about the scams? Fuel recipts is a common one.

Ask them about the propositioning too?

So taxi drivers that you hardly know decided to inform you of their scams and risk an audit? Either you're trolling or it sounds like they're extracting the urine out of the new boy TBH. :pac: Did they ask you to go to the storeroom for some striped ink too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd say a good 50% of taxi drivers in Galway are Nigerian. A couple are from Ghana, Ivory Coast, Senegal

My experience with Nigerian taxi drivers in Galway has not been good. That's not a racist statement, it's just honest. I can expand on it with examples if anyone wants that. Galway's a small town, and they've caused a lot of friction with local taxi drivers.

This is simple fact, and it's not a black-white issue. Couple of Ghanaian drivers I was chatting with are exasperated with a lot of the Nigerian drivers as well.

Just my two cents, haterz gonna hate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

As an Ex taxi driver I'd love to know what these "scams" are, most of the guys I worked were honest hardworking fellas and Girls,

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

shocking:eek:

lemme wrote: »
    Think you got that arse ways. As far as i remember a dublin taxi driver went to thailand on holidays/to live, butchered a girl he tied up, tried to hop over a few walls to escape but was captured.

his last words to the media were, 'i know whats waiting for me, they're going to chain me to a wall'

i think he's still chained to that wall.

No you got it arseways my friend.
    He name is Denis Leahy, a 40 year old taxi driver from Dublin.
    The 24 y/o girl's throat had been slashed, and she had been stabbed about 15 times.
    He jumped over that wall alright & escaped. But it seems he was handed over to Thai police (by a local taxi driver. lol) while attempting to cross the border.
    However he has bribed his way out of prison (quite common over there), and is now back in Dublin driving his taxis, quite possibly driving young girls home after a night out.
    How lovely?

pic1-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never had any bad trouble with taxi drivers. Only minor stuff. Once a guy trying to charge a large set fare from the city out to the suburbs and once a guy probably pretended not to hear my instruction to go onto the M50 thus putting 6 or 7 quid on the fare.

Both times it actually was African lads but in no way would I stereotype any of the drivers.

On the plus side a driver met me to give me a lost phone and another gave me a lift home when I had lost my money. I guess bad tales are more attractive on the net though.

Too many taxis is still preferable to your night being ruined by fighting over taxis for hours and ending up walking halfway home before you got one.

I know a few taxi drivers as we all probably do. All are decent honest lads.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have a few dodgy dealings with dublin taxis from trying to be take me the long way home

to telling me finglas is the south side, as they are driving across the liffey towards westmoreland street - jumped out of that when it was stopped at lights.

oh, and that creepy man, who didnt want to bring me home, he wanted to bring back into town, that a pretty girl like me shouldnt be going home by myself.

i have been offered drugs, phone numbers - i have had taxi men telling me road racing and where and when they do it. how they need to do a few lines of speed to keep them going at night.

taxis "not hearing" me when i say take this left and the charging more

had a taxi man screaming at me cos i said keep change and it was only 45c

hate using them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

No you got it arseways my friend.
    He name is Denis Leahy, a 40 year old taxi driver from Dublin.

pic1-1.jpg

Not arse ways my pal ;) just never knew he got out of prison. you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

bordsie wrote: »

Would you say the same for any other workers groups organising a protest? Or its just the taxi driver?
    Most drivers seem ok. Some are fools some are gents.
    I find the drivers from outside of Ireland especially African countries are terrible drivers. Whatever dangerous way they drive in their home country simply is not good enough here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Have heard both good and bad stories but personally the worst thing that happened to me was a little over charging back in the days when you waited hours for cabs, which of course really grated. But its simple to counter that now by always fixing your price, because if they say no to your offer there'll be another 100 along in a minute.

lemme wrote: »
    Not arse ways my pal ;) just never knew he got out of prison. you sure about that?

No I remember reading it (Sunday World I think?) where he bribed his way out, and then slipped across the Cambodian border.

his family paid for it apparently.

check this out,
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/412648-paid-his-way-out-of-prison/

we have such lovely people driving taxis in this city, dont we?

21_11_3_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've never had much of a problem. A few bad drivers, lack of street knowledge and one incredibly rude one (got out half way and got another very very nice driver). But, for most bad ones I have got ten or twenty good ones. I don't use them as much as I used to because of the price.

Note that the OP is a Dublin hating person and has a history of trolling about the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Your talking through your hole.

And I think the question has been answered for the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement