Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning an iphone - home button issue.

• 31-01-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

I have an iphone which is still under warranty and theres an issue with the home button.

Its become unresponsive & damn annoying....BUT not all the time.
    Sometimes its fine then other times it needs 5-6 presses to use it.
    Now, i know the procedure for returning stuff to apple but my question is if i take a replacement phone from them, they take the deposit & cant replicate the fault or dont spend very long testing it, where does that leave me & the replacement phone?

Do they request the replacement back and return the current phone? Or what will happen? There is definetly a home button fault but as i said its not all of the time.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you return the phone I very much doubt they will return you the same phone even if they can't immediately replicate the problem.

The policy is generally to send you out a new phone where there is any kind of the hardware issue. They may fix it of course, and send it back, but they will do something.

The home button issue is a well documented one. My own iPhone 4 was virtually unusable a couple of weeks ago - so much so that I started using the virtual home button in the accessibility options (see here!) Then all of a sudden the button started working again with no problems whatsoever.

It seems sometimes it's a hardware issue - but obviously not all the time.

I was out of warranty though - if I was you - I'd send her off to Apple. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Dades wrote: »
    If you return the phone I very much doubt they will return you the same phone even if they can't immediately replicate the problem.

The policy is generally to send you out a new phone where there is any kind of the hardware issue. They may fix it of course, and send it back, but they will do something.

The home button issue is a well documented one. My own iPhone 4 was virtually unusable a couple of weeks ago - so much so that I started using the virtual home button in the accessibility options (see here!) Then all of a sudden the button started working again with no problems whatsoever.

It seems sometimes it's a hardware issue - but obviously not all the time.

I was out of warranty though - if I was you - I'd send her off to Apple. :)

Ya i'll get it sent off sooner rather than later i think.
    My question is really about the replacement i'll be paying for (€29 is it?) & leaving the deposit (€500+) for. We'll say for arguments sake that they cant replicate the problem & have sent me a replacement, will they want the replacement back to release my deposit? Or is it a case where what i receive from them is mine regardless aslong as i send the broken one back?

Not sure if im making much sense here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

They'll want the replacement back if they can't replicate the problem. If they don't get it back or if you damage it (water/accidental), they'll charge you for the phone

Ok I thought that alright. But as my phone is still under warranty, they'll still at least fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think you're over complicating things op. if you send it back they still have a working iPhone. When you set up the repair just mention that it doesn't happen all the time and I'm sure as soon as apple receive your iPhone back they will release the deposit

• Advertisement

You won't be out of pocket whatever happens.

They'll at least fix your iPhone and possibly give you a new one.

I've had two iPhones replaced under warranty and although they required my credit card details neither cost a penny to replace as Apple collected the old one and delivered the new one.

The virtual home button/gesture function is brilliant,never knew about that. Cheers,it'll get me by in the meantime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i sent my iphone back a few months ago because of the home button issue.
    they sent me a brand new phone.
    sent it on the thursday, and had the new on exactly a week later on the thursday morning.

one thing to note, dont send them your sim, or earphones etc etc as you will get a phone back without any of the accessaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

kceire wrote: »
    i sent my iphone back a few months ago because of the home button issue.
    they sent me a brand new phone.
    sent it on the thursday, and had the new on exactly a week later on the thursday morning.

one thing to note, dont send them your sim, or earphones etc etc as you will get a phone back without any of the accessaries.

Where do you send it to? How do you check if your phone is in warrenty or not?

Thanks.

Where do you send it to? How do you check if your phone is in warrenty or not?

Thanks.
    start off here
    http://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone/contact/

sent mine back on a monday and got a new one by friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're doing the self setup there will be a box along the way where you can explain that it is an intermittent issue and the repair team will know that they might not be able to replicate it immediately.

iphone_repair.png

guil wrote: »
    start off here
    http://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone/contact/

sent mine back on a monday and got a new one by friday

Thanks buddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

I've had the same issue with my home button,2 months left on warranty,the button would be fine some days but other days it could take 10 hits to close an app,just make sure you do your back up before you sent it off and restore it original settings if your jailbroken,started repair process on wednesday morning,bag from apple arrived friday,picked up by u.p.s at 2 on friday and recieved a new one on wedsnesday morning by u.p.s again,I was really impressed with their service only gripe I would have is the new one only has the 2 months warranty that was left on my original but on the up side the "new" iphone is unlocked to all networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

wilford wrote: »
    only gripe I would have is the new one only has the 2 months warranty that was left on my original but on the up side the "new" iphone is unlocked to all networks.

In fairness, that's a small gripe - you hardly expected to get a brand new warranty with the replacement!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wilford wrote: »
    I've had the same issue with my home button,2 months left on warranty,the button would be fine some days but other days it could take 10 hits to close an app,just make sure you do your back up before you sent it off and restore it original settings if your jailbroken,started repair process on wednesday morning,bag from apple arrived friday,picked up by u.p.s at 2 on friday and recieved a new one on wedsnesday morning by u.p.s again,I was really impressed with their service only gripe I would have is the new one only has the 2 months warranty that was left on my original but on the up side the "new" iphone is unlocked to all networks.
    Actually, you have a little more. They'll give you either the remainder of your original 1 year warranty or APP (if you bought it) or a 90 service guarantee, whichever is longer. If an issue arises in that 90 days, it will be as if you were still under full warranty.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Wd40 is worth a try to resolve this issue, I have a link somewhere.

Edit - http://www.subtraction.com/2012/01/10/the-miracle-of-wd-40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

copacetic wrote: »
    Wd40 is worth a try to resolve this issue, I have a link somewhere.

Edit - http://www.subtraction.com/2012/01/10/the-miracle-of-wd-40

I'd recommend switch cleaner over wd40 anyday.
    available in maplins, don't spray too much as you don't want liquid marks on the LCD

Thanks for all your helps lads.

Just one more question, the box arrived today from UPS so I can return phone to them to fix home button.

There are no forms or anything to fill out so they no its my phone and address and details?? ...Just a box and A UPS bag.

Did anyone leave a note in with it with all your details etc etc when returning it just in case it gets lost or they mix it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

i have home button issues with my iphone 4 every now and again, i find a short sharp wack on the bottom of the phone clears it everytime. i reckon its dust or some moving part that is not connecting - it just needs a gentle reminder :P

Did anyone leave a note in with it with all your details etc etc when returning it just in case it gets lost or they mix it up?
    The phone has an IMEI number which will identify it as your phone from Apple's records. The UPS bag probably has a reference number too to say where is was delivered to/sent from.

Coincidentally my homebutton started acting the bollox again this morning so I'm back with the virtual home button until it (hopefully) fixes itself again. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Guys,

Don't want to hijack the thread but don't want to clog up the board with a new one either, but the sleep/turn off button on the top right of my iPhone 4 broke today. It's sunken into the phone, doesn't click, and is unresponsive. The phone is in perfect condition, and I've had it since the 24th February 2011. So thankfully it's 348 days into a 365 day warranty! I'm hoping Apple will replace it.

I was just wondering what the process is with returns? I'm right in Dublin City Centre - can I bring it over to CompuB on Grafton St., or do they not deal with this kind of thing as they're only an "authorized reseller"? If they don't do I have to do the UPS send away/pickup thing to get it assessed/replaced?

Also wondering about how I'd go about backing up my entire phone (not just music/videos, but contacts/photos/messages etc.) as well as what I'd do without a phone for however long it took!

Guys,

Don't want to hijack the thread but don't want to clog up the board with a new one either, but the sleep/turn off button on the top right of my iPhone 4 broke today. It's sunken into the phone, doesn't click, and is unresponsive. The phone is in perfect condition, and I've had it since the 24th February 2011. So thankfully it's 348 days into a 365 day warranty! I'm hoping Apple will replace it.

I was just wondering what the process is with returns? I'm right in Dublin City Centre - can I bring it over to CompuB on Grafton St., or do they not deal with this kind of thing as they're only an "authorized reseller"? If they don't do I have to do the UPS send away/pickup thing to get it assessed/replaced?

Also wondering about how I'd go about backing up my entire phone (not just music/videos, but contacts/photos/messages etc.) as well as what I'd do without a phone for however long it took!

sync your phone to your itunes account on your computer,everything will be saved to that,when you get your replacement phone,plug that in and it will put all that info onto the replacement by syncing it.
    you'll essentially have the same phone again,it will save all your settings,photos etc etc.

compu b wont take your iphone back,only apple will.contact them and speak to someone there,they will send the nice ups man/woman out to pick it up and they'll return a new/refurbished phone to you in a few days.
    or if you cant do without it,tell them on the phone you want to pay the €28 and the nice ups man/woman will bring the replacement with them when they collect yours,instead of waiting on a replacement to be sent back to you.

Just to be sure everything is backed up right click the iPhone in iTunes and click backup then when you get the replacement restore it from a backup and pick the most recent one. Everything will be exactly the same as it is now

Just to let people know - I have filled in my details on apples support page regarding my original post ( the unresponsive home button issue) and there is an option on the support page for a call back from apple support, i didnt know this existed tbh but also it saves me from calling them & also gives me the option to speak to them and request a replacement phone at a cost of €28 as i cant go without a phone for a few days.
    If im right i dont think theres any other way of requesting the replacement phone (at a charge) immediatley without speaking to them directly?
    Handy.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Just to let people know - I have filled in my details on apples support page regarding my original post ( the unresponsive home button issue) and there is an option on the support page for a call back from apple support, i didnt know this existed tbh but also it saves me from calling them & also gives me the option to speak to them and request a replacement phone at a cost of €28 as i cant go without a phone for a few days.
    If im right i dont think theres any other way of requesting the replacement phone (at a charge) immediatley without speaking to them directly?
    Handy.

They also take a €450 deposit of your credit card (if you have one) until the broken home button phone is sent back.

You lose that money if the broken home button phone does not get to them i think.

No thanks, I'll wait the 4 days for my new phone and use a nokia while I wait.

They also take a €450 deposit of your credit card (if you have one) until the broken home button phone is sent back.

You lose that money if the broken home button phone does not get to them i think.

Yup,Im aware of that. I have 10 days to return the phone with the issue.
    Have to say its a quality service,companies could learn a lot from apples support.
    The phonecall didnt cost me a cent either,arranged a time for a call before midday today for 12.15 today and they rang at about 12.20.

barryd09 wrote: »
    Yup,Im aware of that. I have 10 days to return the phone with the issue.
    Have to say its a quality service,companies could learn a lot from apples support.
    The phonecall didnt cost me a cent either,arranged a time for a call before midday today for 12.15 today and they rang at about 12.20.

I agree best customer service I have EVER dealt with.

Puts Ireland's "customer service" to shame but that would not be hard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Once you get a signature for it from UPS, its not your problem, its between UPS and Apple.

Coincidentally my homebutton started acting the bollox again this morning so I'm back with the virtual home button until it (hopefully) fixes itself again. :pac:
    Annnd after two days - it's back working.

Lucky you OP to be in warranty!

• Advertisement

Annnd after two days - it's back working.

Lucky you OP to be in warranty!

FM mobiles on Campden Street fix the home button in 1 hour for €40.

They do a proper job as well, ask for a guy called Brian.

*sorry FM Mobiles

Advertisement