Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning an iphone - home button issue.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Dades wrote: »
    Annnd after two days - it's back working.

Lucky you OP to be in warranty!

Aaaand as i suspected,the phone i have with the issue has been working perfectly for the last few hours. I just feckin knew this would happen. Ah well,im going to send it back anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

I am having this issue.

Out of warranty by 2 weeks.

What does this mean? How much will I have to pay?

Can I send it through Carphonewarehouse where I bought the phone?

Maybe that won't cost as much?

Also I have the Carphone Warehouse Life Line Insurance

Thanks

dedon wrote: »
    I am having this issue.

Out of warranty by 2 weeks.

What does this mean? How much will I have to pay?

Can I send it through Carphonewarehouse where I bought the phone?

Maybe that won't cost as much?

Thanks

Only apple will take an iphone back & being out of warranty by two weeks is damn unlucky for you im afraid.

From the apple service email confirmation i got earlier after contacting them:
    Out of Warranty Repair charges:
    iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, and original All models: € 161.30

It used to be €211 but now thats only for the iPhone 4s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Carphonewarehouse warehouse are liable for taking the phone back for repairs aswell. The sales of goods and supply's act clearly states that the contract is between retailer and the customer and most manufacturers won't deal directly with consumers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

FM mobiles on Campden Street fix the home button in 1 hour for €40.

They do a proper job as well, ask for a guy called Brian.

*sorry FM Mobiles
    Do you know if they actually replace the homebutton? Or just clean the contacts or something...

I've replaced the screen on mine myself so would avoid the €40 and do it myself if I didn't have to buy new parts.

Also - after a brief respite the homebutton has gone again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Dades wrote: »
    Do you know if they actually replace the homebutton? Or just clean the contacts or something...

I've replaced the screen on mine myself so would avoid the €40 and do it myself if I didn't have to buy new parts.

Also - after a brief respite the homebutton has gone again!

Yeah spoke with them earlier in the week as my girlfriend has similar problem with her i-phone not as bad as mine though but her phone is out of warranty.

(They said over the phone) that they replace the whole button with a new one for €40 and they will give you some sort of guarantee on it too so you can bring it back if it happens again, any time ive dealt with them over the years jailbreaking previous i-phones etc etc they have always done a very good job for me.

Its a proper street front shop and they are not going anywhere so just get receipt etc and you are covered if problem happens again, they fix everything from laptops to every sort of phone.

Sounds like im promoting them, im not just found them cheap and good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Interesting article on unresponsive home button here :cNet
    Usually the button is quite responsive and will quit to the main menu after a short period of time, but at times when you press the button there can be a delay or it can even take a couple of tries before it responds.
    If the home button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch is not working as it used to, there are a couple of things you can try to get it working again:

To calibrate the home button, open a built-in program (1), hold the power button (2) until the red slider appears, and then press the home button (3) until the slider disappears.
    (Credit: Screenshot by Topher Kessler)
    Reboot the device
    Generally people rarely fully reboot their iOS devices and instead set them in sleep or standby mode when not in use, which is convenient but might allow any problems that occur to not be properly cleared over time, resulting in odd slowdowns or other unwanted behavior.

Therefore, the first thing to try is to reboot the system by holding down the sleep/wake button on the side of the device until you see the red slide control. Sliding this control will shut the device down, after which you can then press and hold the sleep/wake button to start up the device again.

Calibrate the home button
    iOS devices support an option to calibrate the home button, which requires interaction with a stock application like the Calendar, Weather, or YouTube. To make use of this option, open one of these apps and then with the app open press the sleep/wake button at the top of your device until the red slider control appears. As soon as you see it, press the home button and keep it held down until the red slider disappears. The device's home button has now been calibrated.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57373687-263/fix-home-button-delays-on-ios-devices/#ixzz1m445EIs4

sharkman wrote: »
    Interesting article on unresponsive home button here :cNet
    Usually the button is quite responsive and will quit to the main menu after a short period of time, but at times when you press the button there can be a delay or it can even take a couple of tries before it responds.
    If the home button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch is not working as it used to, there are a couple of things you can try to get it working again:

To calibrate the home button, open a built-in program (1), hold the power button (2) until the red slider appears, and then press the home button (3) until the slider disappears.
    (Credit: Screenshot by Topher Kessler)
    Reboot the device
    Generally people rarely fully reboot their iOS devices and instead set them in sleep or standby mode when not in use, which is convenient but might allow any problems that occur to not be properly cleared over time, resulting in odd slowdowns or other unwanted behavior.

Therefore, the first thing to try is to reboot the system by holding down the sleep/wake button on the side of the device until you see the red slide control. Sliding this control will shut the device down, after which you can then press and hold the sleep/wake button to start up the device again.

Calibrate the home button
    iOS devices support an option to calibrate the home button, which requires interaction with a stock application like the Calendar, Weather, or YouTube. To make use of this option, open one of these apps and then with the app open press the sleep/wake button at the top of your device until the red slider control appears. As soon as you see it, press the home button and keep it held down until the red slider disappears. The device's home button has now been calibrated.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57373687-263/fix-home-button-delays-on-ios-devices/#ixzz1m445EIs4

Tried all that made & it no difference unfortunately

I got my replacement phone from apple yesterday & the old phone is gone back today.

Funny thing is since the day i rang apple to report the fault the home button was working fine but i sent it back anyhow, i'll just have to wait & see what happens I suppose.

I do notice that the button on the new phone feels different,it definetly feels different to the previous/old phone. Hopefully there wont be an issue,will there be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

barryd09 wrote: »
    I got my replacement phone from apple yesterday & the old phone is gone back today.

Funny thing is since the day i rang apple to report the fault the home button was working fine but i sent it back anyhow, i'll just have to wait & see what happens I suppose.

I do notice that the button on the new phone feels different,it definetly feels different to the previous/old phone. Hopefully there wont be an issue,will there be?

Did you not have to send in your old phone before getting the new one?

• Advertisement

Got a BRAND NEW I-phone 4 back today in work 5 days later.

Have not tried new button yet, will do when I get home and update.

Did you not have to send in your old phone before getting the new one?

No i paid €29 to get the replacement phone straight away (they put a temp charge of €450 on my credit card as security until they get the old one back)

Got a BRAND NEW I-phone 4 back today in work 5 days later.

Have not tried new button yet, will do when I get home and update.

Brand new as in 110% new,box and charger etc etc or just a phone that looks brand new,with front & back screen protectors on it in a white apple care box?
    Because thats what i got,its a refurb but ya,looks new alright.

Brand new as in 110% new,box and charger etc etc or just a phone that looks brand new,with front & back screen protectors on it in a white apple care box?
    Because thats what i got,its a refurb but ya,looks new alright.

Just the phone.

Its 100% Brand new. All the tags still on it.

Just the phone.

Its 100% Brand new. All the tags still on it.

Thats how all the refurbs come. New glass,new battery & the front and back plastic protectors.

Thats how all the refurbs come. New glass,new battery & the front and back plastic protectors.

My original one had chipping & scratches down the side and a few on the screen.

This phone is flawless and to me it looks like Brand New!

Also were the sim card goes in you will always see marks from the pin like mine had...this one is completely brand new

My original one had scratches down the side and a few on the screen.

This phone is flawless and to me it looks like Brand New!

Yes, what you got back was a different phone,new IMEI,New serial number but its still a refurb with new glass & a new battery.

Yes, what you got back was a different phone,new IMEI,New serial number but its still a refurb with new glass & a new battery.

Ah cool! well as long as the home button works I'm a happy man!

Can you answer me this question i put up earlier? what you think?

Cheers

How much should I pay for a I-phone 3GS 8 gig phone?
    Its in perfect condition.

Buying off a friend.

Just wondering what I should pay roughly?

Comes in box with charger etc etc and is unlocked.

Ah cool! well as long as the home button works I'm a happy man!

Can you answer me this question i put up earlier? what you think?

Cheers

How much should I pay for a I-phone 3GS 8 gig phone?
    Its in perfect condition.

Buying off a friend.

Just wondering what I should pay roughly?

Comes in box with charger etc etc and is unlocked.

Check adverts & compare?
    I know theres 8gb iphone 4's on there for €300-€350 (prob with warranty) so maybe €200-250 for the 3gs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Refurbs are basically new phones. Glad you got sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Check adverts & compare?
    I know theres 8gb iphone 4's on there for €300-€350 (prob with warranty) so maybe €200-250 for the 3gs?

3GS is now a over a couple of years out and a lot of the weight in determining price would attach to the storage the phone has (only 8GB here) and its condition

I'd say €150-200 max, just my opinion on it though

Jev/N wrote: »
    3GS is now a over a couple of years out and a lot of the weight in determining price would attach to the storage the phone has (only 8GB here) and its condition

I'd say €150-200 max, just my opinion on it though

Ya i agree but there are still 3gs's for €200-€250 on adverts, €120 is what hes being offered it for so its worth it at that price.

Advertisement