Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver drove wrong way down motorway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

women drivers. no survivors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I think in all road accidents / incidents it should be released what speed the car was doing, whether the people involved were wearing seat belts, and if drink was consumed how much it was.

I think she was likely trying to kill herself, but went about it in a really selfish way. She should've killed a lot more people acting like this on a motorway.

I can't imagine how her family must feel, in terms of the guilt for the other womans family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Imagine stopping three times and continually driving off again? Even when blocked by a garda patrol car. It's like something you'd expect for hoodlums in Ballyfermot.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

U

Given that you don't know the woman or anything about her life I'd say that's a harsh statement to make
    There are plenty of trees along long stretches of straight country roads that she could have ploughed into. But oh no, she has to hit someone else on a motorway. F**k her; she's a callous selfish b|tch! :mad:
    Stark wrote: »
    Bit selfish choosing taking someone else with you. At least the often vilified young male drivers choose the tree option.
    When men go to die, they die. When women go to die, it's often a cry for help, but this b|tch didn't stop for the Gardai, so it wasn't a cry for help, what she did was murder.

=-=

Are the Gardai allowed to ask a truck to "stop" the car?

the_syco wrote: »

When men go to die, they die. When women go to die, it's often a cry for help, but this b|tch didn't stop for the Gardai, so it wasn't a cry for help, what she did was murder.

Where are you getting that from? Out of interest is this just an opinion, or have you anything to back up the "cry for help" statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Odysseus wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? Out of interest is this just an opinion, or have you anything to back up the "cry for help" statement?
    It's generally accepted that men choose more violent and certain methods of suicide, whereas women less so. Even though more women attempt suicide, more men commit suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_and_suicide

This is often extrapolated to mean that "Women don't intend to kill themselves, but men do", but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that's necessarily the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

the_syco wrote: »
    Are the Gardai allowed to ask a truck to "stop" the car?

I've seen truckers help stop chased drivers on the TV/Youtube but they were all travelling in the same direction.

I don't think the Gardai (or any police force) would ask a trucker to wipe out a diver coming head on due to the psychological trauma s/he would probably suffer at causing a death or serious injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The reality is that many elderly people learned to drive on single carriageway roads with low levels of traffic. They have no experience of motorways, roundabouts and access lanes.
    Travelling on motorways often means making counter-intuitive moves, turnuing left when the intended direction is right because of the multiple roundabout system used near many roads.
    Many elderlyhave poor eyesight and poor neck mobility. They often just get into a car and do whatever they can, no matter who they upset. They take as long as they need and park wherever the car stops. Many of them never diid a driving test or even took a professional lesson in their lives.
    There are going to be many more of these incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

copeyhagen wrote: »
    women drivers. no survivors

This comment came way later than I expected!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't understand the point of this thread. The woman is dead. What further punishment do you want for her? Name and shame? What's the point in that?

seamus wrote: »
    It's generally accepted that men choose more violent and certain methods of suicide, whereas women less so. Even though more women attempt suicide, more men commit suicide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_and_suicide

This is often extrapolated to mean that "Women don't intend to kill themselves, but men do", but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that's necessarily the case.

That would not be my experience, nor would it be for a lot of therapists I know. Its seems to me to be more of a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Fantastic, I love muppetry on Irish roads. It's quite common to drive against the traffic into one way streets. Surely the poor driver must have got confused. Not a big deal - until someone dies.
    The other day I tried to tell a woman that she's after diving into a one way lane in Ikea, got "Sure nothing's happened" attitude - I gave up.. Same with driving at night with no lights.

Pity the others may suffer, otherwise it'd only be beneficial for the gene pool....

EDIT: Being politically incorrect - I don't know the stats, but in majority of dangerous, stupid and unexpected actions on the roads I've seen women drivers playing the main role.

EDIT2: If only Garda Traffic Corps were acting like a real road Police
    1. the budget would earn loads of money of the idiots, incapable of even parking the car correctly
    2. It'd be much safer on the roads
    3. Less muppetry - less traffic, less traffic jams

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's most likely. I feel so strongly about all this stuff.
    Very painless/quick way to go.
    No it's not

thanks to airbags and stronger cars there is a fair chance of surviving with permanent metal or physical disability

Being trapped in a burning vehicle is also a possibility.

IF this was a suicide then that person was incredibly selfish
    If no then terminally stupid

They (who?) reckon that a large proportion of single car collisions are suicides.

Oh and 66 is not elderly these days http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/state_pension_contributory.html
    If you were born on or after 1 January 1961 the minimum qualifying State pension age will be 68.
    so forget that excuse

even if tipsy you'd have to figure out something was up if ALL the traffic coming the other way is flashing and beeping you and there have been other unusual interactions.

Did she not notice the other carriageway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok we'll leave it here. It's not clear why this person drove as she did and this thread is now mainly speculation and bile which isn't very nice.

RIP to all concerned and hopefully something similar won't happen again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement