Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst round dodging you've encountered?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

One of himself's mates is a serial round dodger. They've gotten wise to him but he's still trying to slip out of getting his round in. All sorts of excuses, no cash on him, he's heading home now, hiding in the toilet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

jammy dodger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Not getting in to the stupid idea of rounds would be the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Rounds are passe in a recession. I'll always make it clear that I'm not buying rounds and don't expect to be included in one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I never get into big rounds unless it's an afternoon in a pub with just 2 or 3 mates. Any more than that and it's too messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The couple only buying one round, because 'we're together'.
    But they expect two drinks when it's your round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Actually worse I've seen in a while was myself.

Ran out of money on holidays when it was my call and had no ATM card on me, the lads paid for my drink for the rest of night.

Only for €20 to fall out of god knows where in my wallet at the end of the night.

Didnt hear the end of it for awhile, got them drinks back over the next few nights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The only winner with rounds is the publican. It's a BS system where everyone keeps pace with the fastest drinker. Everyone should just look after themself and stay to their own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lazygal wrote: »
    One of himself's mates is a serial round dodger. They've gotten wise to him but he's still trying to slip out of getting his round in. All sorts of excuses, no cash on him, he's heading home now, hiding in the toilet.

why don't they stop buying him the fcuking drinks then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

20/30 quid into a pot from everyone at the beginning of the night and that will buy the rounds

another top-up of 10/20 quid later on depending on how the night is going

problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bluewolf wrote: »
    why don't they stop buying him the fcuking drinks then

To paraphrase the opening scene of The Wire, "Got to buy a lad a drink, this is Ireland man."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

One of my buddies uses the same tea bag to make two cups of tea, he is NOT going to buy a round...oh and he uses the cheap tesco teabags...:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Auvers wrote: »
    20/30 quid into a pot from everyone at the beginning of the night and that will buy the rounds

another top-up of 10/20 quid later on depending on how the night is going

problem solved

20/30 quid into a pot from everyone for the night for rounds ?
    Which pub do you drink in and what are you buying ? capri suns ?

that'd buy about 3 -4 pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Stiffler2 wrote: »

You're paying roughly e7 a pint...?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I'd imagine 20-30 quid each in a pot would buy 4-6 pints each.

How far ahead do you calculate your rounds there buddy, would you have everyone chipping in for Sunday breakfast as soon as they sit down in the pub on a Saturday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

looks like maths aint your best subject :P but feel free to adjust the figure if need be

most people don't have to drink 10-15 pints in a night to have a good time,

me I am happy with 6-7 pints and if you wanted to drink more than whats in the pot, pay for it out of your own cash

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Used to work with a guy who never got his round in, would always have to get the bus home when it came to his turn!

We nicknamed him Frank Bruno cos he never got a round in :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I read it as "whats the worst round of dogging you've ever encountered". :o

Theres plenty of people to speak of in my town to speak of, round dodgers that is >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

I still have my suspicions, even at quite a few years' remove, that this fellow I know deliberately followed through on a fart to avoid buying a round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My ma used to go out with someone that used to never buy the first round because they drank vodka/bacardi and cokes and the mixer would last 2 rounds.

The round system is poxy. It somehow always costs more money. Stick on your own, or team up with 1 other person that drinks similar pace. Easy to break the round if you're with 1 other person too.

Abi wrote: »

:D And I bet you had half a reply typed out til you copped your mistake ;) :pac:
    Pupito wrote: »
    I still have my suspicions, even at quite a few years' remove, that this fellow I know deliberately followed through on a fart to avoid buying a round.

That guy deserves to have drink bought for him forever for the lengths he went to get out of his round! I mean he thought it was ok to be known as "Shitty Knickers" rather than pay for a round :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

What is the whole advantage of rounds ???

I never do it, I just don't get it, asking for trouble.

What is the whole advantage of rounds ???

I never do it, I just don't get it, asking for trouble.

In a pub you only have to go to the bar to order a drink one in ever 4/5/6/7 pints, it's very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Anyone else think that people making a big deal about rounds are a bit tight themselves?

It all evens out over time in my experience.

If you are constantly counting who's bought what you're probably not having a good night... get some new mates or just stop getting involved in rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

When I read round dodging I thought of this

P.C. wrote: »

Do what I do and when it comes to your round buy them one drink between them telling them that as you're together you can share.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that people making a big deal about rounds are a bit tight themselves?

It all evens out over time in my experience.

If you are constantly counting who's bought what you're probably not having a good night... get some new mates or just stop getting involved in rounds!

Yes I do. One of the lads, while he would get his round in, would always remember if someone owed him one from a few weeks back. Its a bit annoying as we've been friends for years so it is not like anyone is doing him out of drink.

My general rule is to always buy, or make a sincere offer to buy a drink for someone who has bought you one. You cant go too far wrong then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

butterbean. in the 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Abi wrote: »

Theres plenty of people to speak of in my town to speak of, round dodgers that is >_>

i read it the same way

fella i used to work with was notoriously tight. me and another fella used to leave him out of rounds cause we knew he wouldnt pay his way. the thing is, this fella was loaded. he used every excuse in the book like i left my wallet at home, vanishing when it was his round and even pretending to fall asleep. he used to go mad when me and the other bloke would leave him out cause he knew we were well wide to his game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

P.C. wrote: »

Oh I found the perfect way to combat this (Well it worked for me). After this happening one too many times and me being in a bad mood the time for my round came and I got his pint of Guinness and her vodka and 7-up.....and a spoon from the bar. He was reaching for his pint and I said "Oh hang on a sec" and took a large gulp of the pint, then poured the vodka 7-up into the Guinness and stirred it with the spoon.

They were both gobsmacked and thought I stood up and went to the bar to get them fresh drinks, I didn't, I went to the bar to get two straws and placed them beside the pint glass without saying a word.

They have NEVER done it since :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

GAAman wrote: »
    Oh I found the perfect way to combat this (Well it worked for me). After this happening one too many times and me being in a bad mood the time for my round came and I got his pint of Guinness and her vodka and 7-up.....and a spoon from the bar. He was reaching for his pint and I said "Oh hang on a sec" and took a large gulp of the pint, then poured the vodka 7-up into the Guinness and stirred it with the spoon.

They were both gobsmacked and thought I stood up and went to the bar to get them fresh drinks, I didn't, I went to the bar to get two straws and placed them beside the pint glass without saying a word.

They have NEVER done it since :D

your from cavan arent you:pac:

Advertisement