Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College GAA - Sigerson/Fitzgibbon

• 31-01-2012 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Please call down to the Mardyke tonight at 7pm. UCC are playing GMIT in the first round of this. (Senior Football). Pass the word on. Would be great to have a bit of support for the college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Good win for UCC tonight. 1-15 to 0-5.. I know I probably won't get any replys here cause most people here couldn't give a **** about the GAA and probably don't even know what it is but sher anyway. Hurlers are out in championship tomorrow night. UCC vs DCU in Mardyke at 7pm. Please support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Had class last night (and tonight) - hopefully I'll be able to catch the second half tonight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Any idea when the next match in the football is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

What is G.A.A? I've never heard of it before.

Byron85 wrote: »
    What is G.A.A? I've never heard of it before.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

closeline wrote: »
    I know I probably won't get any replys here cause most people here couldn't give a **** about the GAA and probably don't even know what it is but sher anyway.

Riiiiiiight. What ever you think closeline but GAA is massively popular.

UCC won easy.
    Riiiiiiight. What ever you think closeline but GAA is massively popular.

Clearly untrue, see Byron's post for evidence.

Orizio wrote: »
    UCC won easy.

Clearly untrue, see Byron's post for evidence.

In case you're unclear yourself...I'm sure Mr. Byron's taking the Michael.

Just a theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

closeline wrote: »
    Good win for UCC tonight. 1-15 to 0-5.. I know I probably won't get any replys here cause most people here couldn't give a **** about the GAA and probably don't even know what it is but sher anyway. Hurlers are out in championship tomorrow night. UCC vs DCU in Mardyke at 7pm. Please support.

Definitely the best way of getting supporters to turn up there OP, insult 'em. :)

In case you're unclear yourself...I'm sure Mr. Byron's taking the Michael.

Just a theory.

...dear god Reacher you really think I'm a complete moron don't you?

• Advertisement

Ha I knew it would be the only way to get a few replys on this thread. Won well tonight again 7-18 to 0-10. Footballers are playing in 2 weeks vs Sligo and hurlers playing next week away to GMIT. Dont think there will be any more football games at home but as ye know the Fitzgibbon Cup is on in UCC this year so if the hurlers make it to the semi-finals ye will be able to see them down at the Mardyke.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads, stop winding each other up, don't post unless its on topic

Match report from last night
    Mahony hat-trick powers slick UCC: UCC 7-18 DCU 0-10

UCC issued a powerful statement of intent in their opening Fitzgibbon Cup Group D clash in freezing conditions at the Mardyke last night as they crushed the challenge of DCU. The scoreline reflects the complete control that UCC exerted and the home side were full value for the staggering 29 point winning margin.

The result places UCC in an extremely good position in this group ahead of their trip to Galway to face GMIT next week in their final round-robin clash and at this juncture they look in pole position to claim the coveted home advantage for the quarter-finals. On a night where they largely played flawless hurling, the only downside to their victory was the thumb injury incurred by midfielder Daniel Kearney which forced him off in the 11th minute while wing-forward Seamus Harnedy was another to go off with an injury before half-time.

UCC, Fitzgibbon Cup semi-finalists last year and league champions before Christmas, do look to have greatly enhanced their attacking options this season on the evidence of last night’s game. Pauric Mahony, who made a brilliant impact for the Waterford seniors last summer, was hugely influential at wing-forward as the Ballygunner man fired 3-3 during UCC’s scoring spree. Willie Griffin, a member of last year’s Limerick U21 Munster winning squad, was another to sparkle here as he weighed in with 2-5. Shane Bourke and Stephen Moylan, survivors of the UCC Fitzgibbon Cup winning side in 2009, showed their experience in posting scores and DCU’s overwhelmed rearguard had no answer to the incessant pressure they were placed under.

DCU were totally out of their depth and only goalkeeper Bill McCormack, a former Tipperary minor and U21, Willie Eviston and JJ Lennon in defence, midfielder Emmett Kent (who was razor-sharp from placed balls) and centre-forward Wesley O’Brien, a native of Carrigaline in Cork can look back on this one with any degree of satisfaction.

However ultimately this was a severely lopsided encounter. DCU emerged fired up for the encounter in the early stages and only trailed 0-3 to 0-2 by the close of the opening quarter. However then UCC cut loose with Bourke, Griffin and Mahony all on target as UCC pulled 0-8 to 0-2 clear. In the 25th minute they raised their first green flag when Mahony rammed a 20-yard free to the net and by the interval they were ahead by 1-12 to 0-5.

In the second-half UCC maintained their levels of dominance with John O’Callaghan, Darragh Fives and William Egan all on top. The flurry of goals was kick-started in the 38th minute when Moylan fired home after great approach work by Griffin. Four minutes later Griffin found the net before Mahony and Griffin again blasted shots past McCormack. Brosnan, who made a fine contribution when introduced from the bench as did Brian Hartnett, got in on the goal-scoring act in the 50th minute and Mahony rounded off the night when he completed his hat-trick on 56 minutes.

Scorers for UCC: P Mahony 3-3 (1-0f), W Griffin 2-5 (0-3f), D Brosnan 1-2, S Moylan 1-1, S Bourke 0-4, B Hartnett 0-2, M Grace 0-1.

Scorers for DCU: E Kent 0-6 (0-5f, 0-1 65), W O’Brien 0-2, S McGrath, J Cullen 0-1 each.

UCC: D McCarthy (Cork); S Maher (Tipperary), J O’Callaghan (Cork), K Murphy(Cork); J Barry (Tipperary), D Fives (Waterford), W Egan(Cork); D Kearney (Cork), B Murray (Cork); S Harnedy (Cork), M Grace (Kilkenny), P Mahony (Waterford); S Bourke (Tipperary), S Moylan (Cork), W Griffin (Limerick).

Subs: S Corry (Cork) for Kearney (11, inj), D Brosnan (Cork) for Harnedy (27, inj), B Hartnett (Cork) for Grace (45), P O’Mahony (Cork) for O’Callaghan (51), J Nagle (Cork) for O’Callaghan (51).

DCU: B McCormack (Tipperary); S Kelly (Carlow), W Eviston (Tipperary), J Whelan (Wexford); J Ging (Laois), JJ Lennon (Kilkenny), A Cash (Wexford); E Kent (Wexford), Q Lynch (Galway); O Ó Maoileidigh (Dublin), W O’Brien (Cork), S McGrath (Dublin); D Reidy (Clare), C Foley (Dublin), J Cullen (Wexford).

Subs: S Griffith (Wexford) for Lynch (inj) (21), J Murphy (Wexford) for Kelly (48), G Muldoon (Galway) for Reidy (53).

Referee: P Casey (Waterford).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Closeline, hope you don't mind, I've changed the title of the thread, might as well keep all of the college GAA news in one thread

Heh, I remember Wesley O'Brien from Ger Mac's squad back in the day, says a lot about the quality of DCU when he is one of their stars. I only know like four of their players.

Also, are K. Murphy and B.Murray from Erins Own and B'Town respectively or from somewhere else?

Orizio wrote: »
    ...dear god Reacher you really think I'm a complete moron don't you?

No, no.

OT, nice to see Tipperary man Shane Bourke score 0-4! But then again, quality of opposition seemed poor. Pauric Mahony dominating. Good player for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

Great day of Sigerson Cup GAA this afternoon. UUJ, UCC, DCU, UCD is around 4/1

GAA_PUNTER wrote: »
    Great day of Sigerson Cup GAA this afternoon. UUJ, UCC, DCU, UCD is around 4/1

3 out of 4 so far. Fancy Maynooth to beat UCD though. UCC beat Sligo today I heard. Playing winners of UCC/Maynooth.. UUJ vs DCU in other semi

Advertisement