Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

property in dundalk

Options
  • 31-01-2012 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi thinking about buying on apartment in Douglas Court Dundalk
    is this apartment complex a normal area. If I wanted to rent out said apartment would it be possible would there be any demand or this kind of apartment or are they too old?
    Advice really appreciated as I don't know too much of Dundalk I'm looking to buy there as can't afford elsewhere and it seems like a good enough town.
    Is carroll village a lot better? I wanted to get on apartment there but missed out :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Google them. I can't speak for Carroll Village but somebody doesn't like Douglas Court.... https://m.facebook.com/pages/The-Scum-Hole-that-is-Douglas-Court/133886973355778?id=133886973355778&_rdr

Also, run the name through the Argus and make up your own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Zveri wrote: »
    Hi thinking about buying on apartment in Douglas Court Dundalk
    is this apartment complex a normal area. If I wanted to rent out said apartment would it be possible would there be any demand or this kind of apartment or are they too old?
    Advice really appreciated as I don't know too much of Dundalk I'm looking to buy there as can't afford elsewhere and it seems like a good enough town.
    Is carroll village a lot better? I wanted to get on apartment there but missed out :(

My advice is don't buy.
    I lived in Douglas Court for 4 months.
    The noise of the Cathedral bells ringing every 15 minutes 24/7 annoyed me.
    The residents of Douglas Court are mainly on social welfare.
    Some of my neighbours included; prostitutes, ex-convicts, alcoholics, and drug addicts.
    My apartment was vacant for 9 months prior to me letting it. That is an indication of the viability of buy to let in this block.
    I was happy to lose my 450 Euro deposit due to breaking the 12 month lease in order to get out of there. I was paying 450 Euro a month. The build quality; electrics, plumbing, etc are typical of Celtic Tiger shoddy workmanship, as many of these apartments were refurbished then.
    With regard to Carrol Village, there are a lot of Africans living there. Its mainly private rentals so tenants come and go for a reason. Take the hint.
    There are some great areas in Dundalk at good value but not Douglas Court or Carrol Village though. They are cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I lived in Douglas Court for 4 months.
    The noise of the Cathedral bells ringing every 15 minutes 24/7 annoyed me.

Didn't you get used to the bells, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Not sure what your price range is. If it was me, I'd go north of the town center.
    Here are some of what i'd be interested in on the market.
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=634410

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=631982

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=631937

As an other poster said, stay away from Douglas Court.That's my opinion.
    Good luck in your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No offence to anybody in Douglas COurt or Carroll Village but you would be better investing elsewhere. These are cheaper for a reason. The residents are either on Social, or let's just say less desirable as neighbours. Contact the various agents in town (there are loads) and visit the areas for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Id agree, there is some great value properties out there these days. If you are lucky enough not to already have been tied in to an overpriced property over the last few years and have ability to buy (at late 90's prices roughly) keep hunting...you lucky lucky jammy person ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Didn't you get used to the bells, then?

No.
    That's why I moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Zveri

Thank you everyone for your replies.
    Was up in Dundalk today viewing apartment in O'hares Mill. Really like these apartments.
    Not sure if we'll get it though as we were second viewers other buyer interested too and to top it the owner might be selling them as a block even though it was advertised as just the one.
    I am lucky that we're able to get into market now but our budget is very low we can't spend more than 57k idealy we were hoping for something 50k.
    Will keep the advice about those few recommended area's as I think that we might have to wait around for a while to get one at the right price as I think the market is busy in the price range we are in.
    Definitely staying away from Douglas court and Carroll Village after all I've heard now.

Advertisement