Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a house be built without planning?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi, is there any form of house that can be built without planning permission?

I've read through the exempted development section of the planning act, and it seems to be saying something about 40 square metres, but I'm not sure if that applies to extensions only or if you need to already have built a house with planning?

Any ideas or resources on this are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

40 square metre extensions only subject to alot of other conditions too.
    You cannot build or demolish a house without planning.

If you have an existing house, you can then build the exempt extension to the rear of the property up to 40 square metres, including any previous extensions - even those that planning was granted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭summereire

Thanks, that's nice and clear. I kinda thought as much from reading the act but have heard of someone doing it. Must not be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

summereire wrote: »
    Yes, and it has been done. But the house can get torn down and the owner fined, so it's not advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

2423562_f520.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

I wouldnt think this 3 bed detatched home needs planning. But probably has. http://www.daft.ie/1461908.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Does it have a BER?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Yes, its berly standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

I've seen that house so many times and often wonder what the story is...eclectic choice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grizzly wrote: »
    2423562_f520.jpg

Have they changed the law to allow permanent living on our waterways? I know people do it but I thought that it was against the waterways bye laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

summereire wrote: »

Ya can do what ya want in this country like gamble like mad and never pay the bill...the tax payers will do that for ya if your bill is big enof...and you can build what ya want too as long as your behind trees and keep the lips closed.

another popular way is reverse a caravan in on a site, live there or pretend to be there, then build a structure around it.:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement