Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United States Of Europe?

• 31-01-2012 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

i saw declan gangley talk about setting up a party in support of a US of E. with an elected president a while back on the late late show.

Would any one support this?

I see it as a better option to the current path europe seems to be heading in, with the biggest countries calling the shots.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

No. Reckon it's going the other way to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

This is Varadkar's wet dream. Dont think it'll happen tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Won't happen, the European project is on its last legs as it is, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I thought it already was.

Isnt that the point of the european parliment? And all that Brussels stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

I'm not against the idea of a so-called "United States of Europe" but I'm not happy with the format this new European Federation is taking. There isn't a lot of democratic accountability within the EU at present, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

A nightmare for any Patriot. Unfortunaely there are too many traitors around today so its a real possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Declan Ganley - that bastion of good sense. I await his proposal of a meter-run European Union where every country has to top up their membership on a daily basis or else be kicked out.

I heard he got the idea years ago from the gas meter he used to feed with fake coins whilst living as a student in a typical sh*tty student flat years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

No. We are too different in social and economic terms to some of mainland Europe to be tied into this sort of pact with them.

Ireland's independence was hard won. It must not be eroded (almost irrevocably) for temporary financial stability by any constitutional change in this country. I would be 100% opposed to any compromising of the Irish constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hell no, the EU (which is pretty much a USE anyway) is crumbling.
    As said before, we're much too dissimilar for anything like that to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Does Ireland have to join?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 b_mully

I can't imagine that, how would we elect a president ? a small country like Ireland would never get a look in on that presidency and having a rotating system like we do now would not give the president enough time to do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My united states of whatever

Does Ireland have to join?
    Technically, no.

If we don't join, we can still access funding under the EU-IMF arrangement.

It expressly says so in the treaty.

This shouldn't be for us. We should decline this treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Europe was fairly united during the Crusades as well. Likewise just because you have a state of agreement in this continent atm doesn't mean it will strengthen or last forever. I don't see this EU having any more success at it either long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

NinjaK wrote: »
    A nightmare for any Patriot. Unfortunaely there are too many traitors around today so its a real possibility.
    I see stuff like this on YouTube all the time. Could you please explain to me, besides ideals, what the REAL implications would be for the ordinary citizen?
    And don't just say "you'll lose your rights" because that's not an answer, that's a cop-out.
    Not saying I'm for a USE, but I want to know what are the actual negative consequences

I see stuff like this on YouTube all the time. Could you please explain to me, besides ideals, what the REAL implications would be for the ordinary citizen?
    Here's just one

The (unelected) European commission drafts policies which our government must commit to support in the event of even relatively mild deficits, under this treaty.

At the moment, there is a clear room for negotiation. Under the treaty, these things are not negotiated, we specifically "commit to support" the european commission... i.e. abide by its decisions.
    While fully respecting the procedural requirements of the European Union Treaties, the Contracting Parties whose currency is the euro commit to support the proposals or recommendations submitted by the European Commission where it considers that a Member State of the European Union whose currency is the euro is in breach of the deficit criterion in the framework of an excessive deficit procedure.

There is some controversy over the fact that it would be easier for the larger states may find ways around such procedures, and remain free from interference in their affairs by the Commission, under QMV.

We've all seen how much economic policy can impact upon our lives.

As an Irishwoman, I do not want to see a faceless bureaucrat's diktat being merely implemented by democratically elected parliaments, apparently without leaving any reasonable room for negotiation on policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I wouldn't say the European project is on it's knees but it's probably at some kind of crossroads about what it wants to be. Europe can't seem to agree a proper common fiscal policy, never mind a common EU foreign policy etc. States are rational actors and will not agree to anything that will hurt them. There are just too many divergent interests to reconcile for a United States of Europe to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

i saw declan gangley talk about setting up a party in support of a US of E. with an elected president a while back on the late late show.

Would any one support this?

I see it as a better option to the current path europe seems to be heading in, with the biggest countries calling the shots.

Wait wait wait. Wasn't Declan Ganley against Europe ???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Here's just one

The (unelected) European commission drafts policies which our government must commit to support in the event of even relatively mild deficits, under this treaty.

At the moment, there is a clear room for negotiation. Under the treaty, these things are not negotiated, we specifically "commit to support" the european commission... i.e. abide by its decisions.
    Yup, loss of sovereignty is a big one.
    Again, I'm not pro-"USE", I just want to hear some more opinions, as the people who are usually dead-set against anything like this tend to be a little bit on the crazy side (not saying people who oppose it ARE, I don't support such an idea, but I think you know the kind of people I'm talking about, and they are really tiresome)

Again, I'm not pro-"USE", I just want to hear some more opinions, as the people who are usually dead-set against anything like this tend to be a little bit on the crazy side (not saying people who oppose it ARE, I don't support such an idea, but I think you know the kind of people I'm talking about, and they are really tiresome)

Yes, I do indeed know what you mean. These usual anti-everything types detract from the seriousness of decisions such as this, and make it too easy for 'the other extreme' (in this case, elements within the government; Creighton, Varadkar) to dismiss all concerns about European integration as poppycock.

This treaty has the potential to bring about some remarkably undemocratic situations. That's one of my concerns anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I would defintley be in favour. European taxes in return for european services.
    Yes Yes Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What would be so terrible about a properly run and genuinely federal Europe? I'd take it over the heady brew of bullshit that is the current 'Union'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Fcuk no. The Germans would really take over then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What would be so terrible about a properly run and genuinely federal Europe? I'd take it over the heady brew of bullshit that is the current 'Union'.

we are a peripheral country,therefore no jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

True, but I have highlighted you error. Will never happen, corruption and self interest is human nature. Best just stick to sovereign nations that trade with each other IMO.

Better the devil you know ... etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The first question myself and any citizen would have to ask is whats in it for me and my country?

And why not just stick with a trading union instead?

We don't need anything else really.

This isn't like the USA, its a load of individual countries each with their own very ancient histories, cultures, and in many cases languages. You can't make rules for all because you have to keep every single one satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

NinjaK wrote: »
    A nightmare for any Patriot.
    patriot /= xenophobe

k.p.h wrote: »
    Better the devil you know ... etc etc

that exact phrase sums up fianna fail in power and why there are gobshítes in the dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    This isn't like the USA, its a load of individual countries each with their own very ancient histories, cultures, and in many cases languages. You can't make rules for all because you have to keep every single one satisfied.

I'm not well enough up on history to argue but wasn't the US originally formed from different colonies and nationalities that had migrated there, fought against each other and eventually unified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I think the biggest disadvantage has been said. The countries of Europe are too different. You can't try to force people of different cultures into one "European identity" because there is no such thing as a single European identity. There's about 40 different European identities. I think this is evidenced by the extremely low turn-outs for EU Elections in most if not all EU Countries. People just don't care about the EU. Yet, when they are given the chance to have their say on integration, they tend to vote no (at first anyway).

Besides that though, for me anyway, I'm against a USE simply because we are a tiny country. My vote among 4 million others in an election carries far more weight than my vote among 500 million others. Government should be kept as close to the community as possible, not sent abroad to Brussels.

biko wrote: »
    Hell no, the EU (which is pretty much a USE anyway) is crumbling.
    As said before, we're much too dissimilar for anything like that to work.
    It's really only a dream for the Empire builders in the financial world as it is a way of increasing their wealth and jobs for the boys!

For the rest of us there's really nothing in it for us.
    When the current economic difficulties finally play out, we may well find ourselves dumped out of the €uro, so the USE will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'm not well enough up on history to argue but wasn't the US originally formed from different colonies and nationalities that had migrated there, fought against each other and eventually unified?

Not really.

USE also sounds like a welshman saying USA,therefore i'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

You want a future where Frenchmen can be referred to as our countrymen?

HAHAHHAHAHA

Yea righ.

Ah fook, this is my 4,000th post. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Underdraft wrote: »
    Europe was fairly united during the Crusades as well. Likewise just because you have a state of agreement in this continent atm doesn't mean it will strengthen or last forever. I don't see this EU having any more success at it either long term.

?? This was before any act of union and there were regular skirmishes between the english, scottish and welsh.
    France wasnt a completely unified country with the king having little real authority over the stronger families.
    Italy was ununited and the northern areas constantly revolting against German dominance, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I wouldnt be in favour of a United states of europe but I dont think that were too different.
    When picking a national language there was only one vote between English and German. It was a collection of collonies populated by people all over Europe at a time when we were all culturally far more diverse then we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Perhaps what Underdraft meant to say was, we were united in our division. No I am not too sure what was meant by Europe being fairly well united during the Crusades. That would mean that all the Hollywood moving pictures that I saw set during that time are inaccurate. o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

That's what I was thinking ??? Wasn't he banging on before about too much power in Brussels etc? Am massively confused by this. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This must be the European Treaty for Dummies he was on about, that he never got around to publish.

Sf will put us right though, so all is okay.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

tigger123 wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking ??? Wasn't he banging on before about too much power in Brussels etc? Am massively confused by this. :confused::confused::confused:

He has always been pro-Europe. Just critical of the direction that it has taken.

Where's the sense in implementing a set of ideals when the process makes a vast proportion of people skeptical about ever reaching it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement