Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the history of silage machines?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

this thread has gone very quiet, yet the show is thundering along, & registrations for the single chop silage beginning to take off, full farm machinery displays confirmed & Malone will be demonstrating his grass machines throughout the day

I will be outlining a lot more about the show & what to expect, we're aiming at keeping things free even maybe a hot air baloon throughout the day bringing people up & down 100 foot into the air Completely FREE, ofcourse bouncy castles will be free as usual ect..

My end is the silage, the History of Silage machinery I intend on putting on a show & a half, nobody has ever achieved this before, or even researched into what we're aiming to pull off. I hope it turns out well & its all down to the help I've recieved on forums in researching & finding these machines

So without further rambling:
    More on the CutLift that i still need to find
    This is on a film from the 50's:

The Cut lift evolved into the Wilder Steed system where the loader picks up drops cut grass into a special trailer with a dump bottom. Pulled behind a DM4 Nuffield . The loader was detached allowing the trailer to travel back to the silage pit. Interesting footage of a Nuffield working hard.

it was also called the
    WILDER-STEED LOADER

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

we're aiming at keeping things free

Is admission free?

no... ofcourse not, its not possible to have a show like this without admission charge
    but what does annoy us when we go to shows is how everything inside still costs money, especially for families. once you pay your tenner why should you have to pay for all the sideshows inside ect

Kids admission is free, Adults 10 euro
    For that the bouncy castles are free, the hot air baloon is free for all.
    the vintage show, the crafts show, the history of silage demonstration which i've been putting together through these forums, 100 single chop harvesters cutting simultaneously.. its a pretty good spend of a tenner, find me another show where you'll get all that
    the only thing that will not be free is the helicopter rides, but we've subsidised that to 10 euro a head

Im sure you've paid a tenner for less, it nearly costs a tenner for a burger & chips in supermacs

When we're done & dusted whatever we havent spent on the show will be given to charity, as always

Well ok so, as long as the bouncy castle is free I suppose. I'I take off my wellies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

In all fairness a tenner in is very reasonable for a show like that . Ill definitely be going .
    It would be class to see silage being cut from a baloon or helicopter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Where and when is it on?

Bizzum wrote: »
    Where and when is it on?

Dunmore Co. Galway, August 5th 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Sounds like a great day out. Would try to make that.

Got this email thismorning

With thanks to Sean Finegan and Kverneland for their help
    Hello Kevin,

I received your enquiry from Berit in Norway re the Taarup Single Chop Foragers. Below is the production years for the range. The original machines were developed from a design given to John Deere in the States. Taarup bought the concept and design and developed it into the European machine which you know and have a very early example of.

The Machines all came into Ireland through Irish Agricultural Machinery in Abby St. in Dublin. The UK machines came in through Western Machinery in Devon. Some of the early machines may have come through Northern Ireland--most likely through Cyril Johnston in Carryduff in Belfast who imported them from Western Machinery.

The big sellers in Ireland were the DM1100 and DM1350--selling in their thousands over the years.

The "S" machines were simple drawbar types which needed a trailer hitch to pickup the empty trailer. When the side mounted version came along you simply left the forager "bit" behind in the field and took the trailer to the pit yourself.

The original machines were coupled together with a bent arm which was mounted on the gearbox drive frame unit, which engaged with a tube on the cutting part. The later types had an auto PTO coupling device and a different longer arm which extended up along the tractor for reconnecting--it was easier to see for re-engaging.

The very last series had separate short shafts to hold on the flails. The original idea was a long bar holding a complete row of flails. As tractors became bigger it was necessary to improve the steel in both the stub shaft and bushing, for longer life and cheaper replacements.

The Taarup company was founded by Hans Simon Larsen in the village of Taarup in Denmark. He was succeeded by his son Axel Larsen in 1911 and he in turn by his son Helge Larsen in 1943. Taarup moved to their present location in Kertiminde, Denmark in 1954.

In 1956 they negotiated a licence with Deere and Co to produce a novel forage harvester idea, in Europe. On the 15th June in 1957 the first Taarup trailed S1100 machine was demonstrate in Kertiminde. It was hugely successful. Taarup's turnover went from 4 million Danish Kroner to 24 Million in two years.

Taarup took over the UK Company Archie Kidd in 1991 and they themselves (Taarup) became part of the Kverneland Group in 1993.

To day in 2012 the Taarup factory concentrate on Mower, Mower Conditioners and Rakes/Tedders. The factory in Kertiminde has been expanded several times over the years and is now the headquarters of the Danish branch of the Kverneland Group.

(See image below)

Hope that gives you a little background on the Single Chops..

Please feel free to e mail me if you need any more.

Best Regards,

Sean

Sean Finegan

Kvernelandgroup Ireland Ltd

taaruplist.jpg

1100 is 43 inch or 1.1 meters
    1350 is 53 inch or 1.35 meters
    1500 is 60 inch or 1.5 meters

Im nearly sure there was a 1000 or a 40 inch harvester, and i think the green one above is a 40 inch, now tho atleast that answers the question as to why this was green with yellow wheels ;)

Thanks for info ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

i bet the poor corncrake is still annoyed at the invention :rolleyes:

ah they're grand they still have half of russia

How many single chops have you got so far ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

hey still have half of russia

Till McHale's campaign for world domination finds its next prize.

LostCovey wrote: »
    Till McHale's campaign for world domination finds its next prize.
    or ddvc need a bit more land for nextyear :P what can we do to top this years show
    moy83 wrote: »
    How many single chops have you got so far ?

daniel, only about 15 full registrations, including people like yourself not decided what setup they're bringing. we;re closer to 30 and climbing fast. phonecalls becoming more & more regular now & we've a funny feeling once the 1st of june comes & the smell of fresh cut grass takes to the air we're going to be bombarded with registrations. One of the cork men from lastyear is trying to get 7 outfits ready, ive only counted him as a definite, he's unsure of the other 6 he'll let us know in the coming weeks

we can take up to 125 maximum capacity, we're aiming for 100 (well 104 just to quadruple lastyear :D)

Thanks (i'm not daniel by the way ) . We have a international 956 and 63"(i think:rolleyes:) gyro harvester .

Thanks (i'm not daniel by the way ) . We have a international 956 and 63"(i think:rolleyes:) gyro harvester . Would my young lad 6 be allowed in the tractor while cutting or would that be against health and safety ?

sorry guessed wrong, with the moy & the 83 seemed like a fella i was talking to from donegal

6 is a bit young, depends & not my call. cabbed tractors are a bit different, i still doubt it tho dangerous blah blah blah H&S you know yourself
    the tractor its a bit new tho. pre 1982.. you may have to borrow an older tractor (with enough power to drive a gyro)

Thanks (i'm not daniel by the way ) Would my young lad 6 be allowed in the tractor while cutting or would that be against health and safety ?

Great thread, and I really don't want to spoil the atmosphere.

But seriously - did you need to ask?????????

There are an awful lot of kids getting killed off tractors, and the apologetic way sidewaysdriving ruled it out makes it sound like a reasonable request!

Carrying a 6 year old on a working tractor cutting silage?

Mad.

Great thread, and I really don't want to spoil the atmosphere.

But seriously - did you need to ask?????????

There are an awful lot of kids getting killed off tractors, and the apologetic way sidewaysdriving ruled it out makes it sound like a reasonable request!

Carrying a 6 year old on a working tractor cutting silage?

Mad.
    tractors dont kill, people using them do. awareness is everything, as a young lad i would've been quite annoyed if i didnt get a spin in the passenger seat of the tractor when the silage was being cut. theres less danger in the cab than out in the field. anyways im not a health & safety guy. On an older tractor not an absolute notion.

How do you think young lads get interested in farming & machinery, & why city slickers dont have interest. as a child if you're not around the gear & being kept inside wrapped up in bubblewrap playing with barbie dolls, you dont have much chance of being interested in agri do you.
    So yes, to me it is a reasonable request with the specific case of the tractor mentioned and a sympathetic ruling out is more favourable than "No you're mental for even thinking that how could you" as some others may like to approach the idea.

Its a working show, its aimed to display the machinery at work as it was designed to do so. It is dangerous as is any working machinery. Come to think of it so is driving, theres always a chance of a crash but you still do it anyways.

Moving on, I need to find a wilder cutlift & need to find a silorator in Ireland
    First week in june i should have a bit of an outline of the history of silage machinery & how its shaping up, info on all the machines in a timeline
    & also how the rest of the show is coming along

This thread is specifically to aid in the history of silage, i dont wish to degrade it any further with health & safety.

Interesting attitude.

Who is insuring this show?

• Advertisement

Interesting attitude.

Who is insuring this show?

I dont know, not my job to sort or know that, sorry
    curious to why you'd be interested in finding that out.......................

The silorator in england
    JimF wrote: »
    Silorator's getting a makeover ahead of next week's Carrs Demo at Newton Rigg.

DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

Was like this before I started, just to remind you.
    Siloratorworking.jpg

curious to why you'd be interested in finding that out.......................

I was wondering what insurance company would be mad enough to insure a machinery show where there would appear to be a fair bit of contempt for th'oul health and safety.

Its very interesting to hear your theories, but the notion putting kids in danger of injury or death toughens them up went out with the ark.

If there's no insurance, thats worse again, but it makes sense.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I was wondering what insurance company would be mad enough to insure a machinery show where there would appear to be a fair bit of contempt for th'oul health and safety.

Its very interesting to hear your theories, but the notion putting kids in danger of injury or death toughens them up went out with the ark.

LC

so much for not spoiling the atmosphere..

LC
    arent you glad you dont have to fret about such things, leave that to us the organisers;) i can assure you there is insurance and it covers a working show and tractor pulling up to 20 tonne classes.

are you done spamming this thread yet? I'd like to get back to the history of silage machinery, Thanks

As a punter it is good to know that H&S is taken seriously. So fair play to the organisers on this front. It wouldn't be a fun day out if somebody got hurt.

There's piece of mind knowing that there are little or no chances of an accident happening from unguarded PTO's, passengers hanging off unenclosed cabs or spectators being allowed to encroach on demonstration plots.

Again hats off to the organisers and I wish you all the very best with this year's event.

Muckit wrote: »
    As a punter it is good to know that H&S is taken seriously. So fair play to the organisers on this front. It wouldn't be a fun day out if somebody got hurt.

There's piece of mind knowing that there are little or no chances of an accident happening from unguarded PTO's, passengers hanging off unenclosed cabs or spectators being allowed to encroach on demonstration plots.

Again hats off to the organisers and I wish you all the very best with this year's event.

&
    theres less danger in the cab than out in the field. anyways im not a health & safety guy. On an older tractor not an absolute notion.

How do you think young lads get interested in farming & machinery, & why city slickers dont have interest. as a child if you're not around the gear & being kept inside wrapped up in bubblewrap playing with barbie dolls, you dont have much chance of being interested in agri do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kilometres

What does that last post mean?? ^^

Been looking through the thread, great work. How did you manage to get some of the info on the some of the forgotten machinery?

A couple of questions,
    anyone here ever see a green taarup single chop, or indeed a taarup from 1959
    59taarup.jpg
    I always though that the taarups were red? was that a promotion or something (Sorry if it has already been answered!)
    also to mention just as a side note, classic tractor june issue has a reader rebuild on one of the rarest tractors in Ireland, keep an eye out, its one of the members in our club :D
    Is that the Schluter?
    Looking forward to the show later in the year, best of luck

kilometres wrote: »
    What does that last post mean?? ^^

Been looking through the thread, great work. How did you manage to get some of the info on the some of the forgotten machinery?

A couple of questions,
    I always though that the taarups were red? was that a promotion or something (Sorry if it has already been answered!)

Is that the Schluter?
    Looking forward to the show later in the year, best of luck
    finally something related to what the thread is about

the information was found through google, through museums (in particular the Museum of English Rural Life in Reading for their help with the wilder cutlift, which still needs to be found), various websites, books ect, and in particular one very good forum in england with some very knowledgable & heplful members. some of whom happen to have one or two of the machines im looking for.

The green taarup pictured is one of the very very first produced, if you read the email i posted most recently from Kverneland, my understanding of why it is green is because taarup bought the designs from John Deere.

Yes it is indeed the Schulter, a masterpiece of German engineering.
    the other schluter mentioned in the article can be found on youtube, just search schluter resurrection

• Advertisement

the silorator in england is finished its makeover looking well
    DSCF0638.jpg
    DSCF0651.jpg
    DSCF0655.jpg

all going well she'll be cutting with us in August

Advertisement