Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the history of silage machines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sidewaysdrivin

the closest we've come to finding a Wilder CutLift so far
    attachment.php?attachmentid=34434&stc=1&d=1338055218

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kilometres

the closest we've come to finding a Wilder CutLift so far

Where did you manage to find that? Did you find out anymore on the cutlift after?

kilometres wrote: »
    Where did you manage to find that? Did you find out anymore on the cutlift after?
    lad in england, not much atall... but i am being sent the full manual for one from england in the next few weeks

two months to go, time to step this up a gear

• Registered Users Posts: 17 civileng2008

• Advertisement

just trying to establish a timeline for the introduction of the double chop
    Taarup introduced theirs in 1965, but i somehow recall that New Holland bet them to it with the crop chopper 33 or the 31. anyone know what years they were launched

Same with the precision chop, didnt look into this one yet tho, anyone shed any light on it

The history lineup for the show cleaned up, but its not totally finished yet. few bits missing ect that id like to have there. if you notice any mistakes please point them out. Take a look please & let me know what you think

dunmorevintage.com/historyofsilage/

Thanks for your ongoing help with this & hope its going to be a great event, hopefully we do silage making over the past 150 (growing every day :P ) years justice

Advertising will be starting in the coming weeks, keep the ball rolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=460811

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

There are plenty of connections between Nazi and industry still...

saw thata few months back, didnt really want to bring it up its a bit irrelevant to what we're doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

saw thata few months back, didnt really want to bring it up its a bit irrelevant to what we're doing

The war is long gone now, just an interesting fact. Did you know Hugo Boss made the SS uniforms?

• Advertisement

I've been out the last few weeks on a mission to find out a bit more from lads that worked with in particular the silorator but can remember the previous machines too. I found a place not too far away from here atall, Gowla Farm just outside Mountbellew in Co. Galway. The name still is in use today as a horse feed brand, it originally started off as a project by the Irish Government to create employment in the West of Ireland, to use Bogland to do something useful & solve a major issue with a lack of feed for winter for cattle ect.

1952/3 Lutenant General Costello & a few Captains were sent to Gowla & setup a farm in pure bog land, employed local farmers & went about setting up to make silage on the 1400 acres of flat bogland. Drained the lot & started seeding grass. Within a few years they had dryers setup in Massive sheds & used the peat to keep the furnaces going while everywhere eles was suffering economic issues with oil.

Locomotives were setup for transport around the farm and out to supply the country & for export & production of Grassmeal was began. the story goes on through the Irish Sugar company through the 70's until Bord Na Mona bought the land & stripped the top to make peat & stuff in around 1979 or 1980. To this day bord na Mona cannot stop the grass growing in Gowla Farm, having been up there myself only this week & walked through it the land that they are working on is spouting green within a few days. Lucious green grass its growing up there.
    Then we were told, that down through the years there was so much ferteliser, lime & pig manure put through the land that the water in the bog and the peat itself must be super rich, and also that the PH of the soil was monitored carefully by the Army to make the ideal conditions for grass to grow.

Giving the area of experteese of these army lads, they had the theory perfect & were able to act to precision in getting optimum protien content from the grass. one of the storys from Gowla is if the Grass went into seed, the protien content was down & they (the army lads) would ring Dublin to find out what to do. One time they were ordered to make Hay in very damp & rainy weather, the farmers working for them at the time slightly bewildered one said but its raining. the reply he received from one of the captains was put on your rain gear

anyways in other news
    Dunmore Vintage Show August 5th
    one of Irelands Biggest Working Vintage Show with upwards on 100 Single Chop foragers cutting simultaneously, and 150 years of silage machinery working on the day along with Modern machinery displays & working demonstrations.
    598656_414075228635697_1157546992_n.jpg

speaking to some of the men from gowla bog, theres a few machines that cropped up even before the silorator

One of them he looked at the picture of the CutLift & called it some strange german word, must ask him again this week right.

He also said that before the silorator in Gowla there was one of these, a Papec
    Papec.jpg
    papec2.jpg
    and they had one of these chopping & blowing it up into the hopper feeding the dryers for making grassmeal.
    McCormick-Deering 10-20 Operating a 1930 Papec ensilage cutter - YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Alot of articles on silage equipment in classic tractor this month ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    Alot of articles on silage equipment in classic tractor this month ;)
    and the owner of the silorator we're getting back is also mentioned on P70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

My Father started cutting silage on contract in 1957 with a 20 Diesel and a 42" Taarup in line harvester, I remember it working well into the 60's.It was eventually cut down and used for topping. 1958 came a Diesel major, no PUHs all drawbar pins and screw jacks. I can just remember about 1962 he bought a self dumping trailer, very small but fast, I think it was called a "Grasshopper". 3 acres was a huge days work and broken flails very common as nobody rolled land. The local blacksmith was making flails for him out of lorry springs! I have a few photos of the Taarup somewhere and also a brochure, I will look them up. The Taarup was eventually replaced by a JF sidemounted but a new Taarup 42" sidemounted appeared again about 1973. I started at it as well and finished in 1983 with a Taarup fine chop pulled by a Fiat 1300 super. I remember a few Dania self propelleds in the mid seventies, huge by the standards of the day. The first New Holland SP I saw was in the Mallow area about 1977, a 1770 no cab. I think the latest assault on scrap by GAA clubs and the like have finished all the old stuff lying around, I was spotting a nice UG trailed SC but it went to the scrappie. Would love to attend the show but will be away seeking some decent weather. PM me for photos etc

digger58 wrote: »
    My Father started cutting silage on contract in 1957 with a 20 Diesel and a 42" Taarup in line harvester, I remember it working well into the 60's.It was eventually cut down and used for topping. 1958 came a Diesel major, no PUHs all drawbar pins and screw jacks. I can just remember about 1962 he bought a self dumping trailer, very small but fast, I think it was called a "Grasshopper". 3 acres was a huge days work and broken flails very common as nobody rolled land. The local blacksmith was making flails for him out of lorry springs! I have a few photos of the Taarup somewhere and also a brochure, I will look them up. The Taarup was eventually replaced by a JF sidemounted but a new Taarup 42" sidemounted appeared again about 1973. I started at it as well and finished in 1983 with a Taarup fine chop pulled by a Fiat 1300 super. I remember a few Dania self propelleds in the mid seventies, huge by the standards of the day. The first New Holland SP I saw was in the Mallow area about 1977, a 1770 no cab. I think the latest assault on scrap by GAA clubs and the like have finished all the old stuff lying around, I was spotting a nice UG trailed SC but it went to the scrappie. Would love to attend the show but will be away seeking some decent weather. PM me for photos etc
    42 inline Taarup, now thats strange.... Kverneland never even told me such a thing existed, are you sure it wasnt an offset trailed in 1958?... or was it some other make of harvester from 57

Definitely trailed in line, I remember it well, I must try and get the photos, it was massively over engineered and very heavy, the cutting height was adjusted by two screw jacks on the rear axle as well as several different positions for the drawbar. The chute was solid only the flap at the top moved and that was by a spring loaded lever with lots of holes. You pulled the lever out sideways and put the stud in the hole to hold it if you know what I mean. It was green with yellow wheel centres. PTO shaft was very heavy with metal guards everywhere.

F... you, now its 12.45 am I'm looking for the brochure, I saw it not so long ago but of course can't find it now, I got it from a Danish farmer as well as a parts catalogue and another book all repro's but good quality. Still that's machinery for you.... if you're an alcoholic you have AA , a gambler, gamblers anon etc, nothing for us lot though.

F... you, now its 12.45 am I'm looking for the brochure, I saw it not so long ago but of course can't find it now, I got it from a Danish farmer as well as a parts catalogue and another book all repro's but good quality. Still that's machinery for you.... if you're an alcoholic you have AA , a gambler, gamblers anon etc, nothing for us lot though.

thats the 1958 model, 15th june 1957 taarup demonstrated the first ever flail type harvester, a John Deere design. They went on sale in 1958, we have a green taarup from 1959 here

I'll ask him in the morning, I'm nearly sure it was 57 as I was born in 58, is that one trailed or side mounted? By the way, don't bother buying the DVD monsters of the grassland, blurb says its about the "history of the silage harvester" bull****, one or two shots of single chops then mainly modern SP, no double chop at all, some history!. I also vaguely remember a trailed fine chop with a canvas pickup like a reaper working in the 60's at Tourin near Cappoquin at the grass factory.

• Advertisement

Asked him today, he thinks it may have been 1958, he bought it 2nd hand from he thinks Sherrards in Cork, Dealer was Murphys garage Glenmore. It was definitely trailed and a Taarup. I wonder was it a re badged Deere given the colours? you said Taarup made Deeres presumably under licence. I can't find the brochure anywhere, I know I saw it not so long ago, will find it when I don't want it! I am off on hols soon but if I find the brochure I will scan it and post.

this is our 1959 green taarup, did I not post the letter from Kverneland about the Taarup harvesters?
    2012-06-04-209.jpg?w=300&h=168

If you read Classic Tractor magazine this month you'd spot the piece about the old Mengele 400 harvesters, up earlier on thisevening flying around taking pictures of the show site & on our way back we took a detour to fly past a lad & in the distance I spotted what I thought was a Mengele harvester in a field, so we swooped in for a closer look
    P7050141.jpg
    so landed for an even better look
    P7050166.jpg

a mengele sf300 working flat out every day use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Asked him today, he thinks it may have been 1958, he bought it 2nd hand from he thinks Sherrards in Cork, Dealer was Murphys garage Glenmore. It was definitely trailed and a Taarup. I wonder was it a re badged Deere given the colours? you said Taarup made Deeres presumably under licence. I can't find the brochure anywhere, I know I saw it not so long ago, will find it when I don't want it! I am off on hols soon but if I find the brochure I will scan it and post.

http://www.murphysmotors.ie/about_us.html

Not sure if Murphys were around in 1958 according to the above but may have been a sole trader rather than an LTD company at the time.

That Taarup side mounted is very like the JF mounting as I remember it, a very different machine to the trailed in line one. I wish I could find the brochure and parts book,. What are the rear mountings like? Don't know about Murphys but I believe thats where he went for parts etc, will ask him to clarify that as well. he was very interested as to why I wanted to know, he thinks I should be doing something better in the evenings that the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Digger,

any chance it was a Lundell in line.We had one at home and its as you described.We bought ours in Sherrards of Santry in 1958 .It was driven with a Massey 35 and we blew the grass into a Massey 10 by 6 trailer with creels.The whole unit was driven into pit area and was tipped with the harvester still in situ.There was an extra long hydraulic pipe to facilitate this.The trailer is still in everyday use-but not for silage:D

Al

Not a chance, It was a taarup, I still remember the cows face on it, as I said I have a brochure and parts book somewhere but just can't find it. I know the parts book shows it clearly. I was wondering if Taarup used the Deere design and badged it to suit themselves before making a full machine themselves. I am heading off on hols soon but when I get back I will try and find the books.

Looked at a picture of a Lundell, that had an A frame hitch and a different set up for the axle. Taarup was a tubular drawbar and a solid axle that was height adjustable with a screw jack on each side, trailer hitch in middle of axle.

1954 the Silorator came out, infact there was a slight version of the disc mowers before that & then another company in america called Papec had the blowers & in 1954 they were put together to make the Silorator

GC loader on its way down from ards peninsula
    P7270002.jpg

and Silorator coming from North Cumbria on its way for the ferry tomorrow
    attachment.php?attachmentid=35511&d=1343847241

Info on the show
    598656_414075228635697_1157546992_n.jpg

and our Website: DunmoreVintage.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

What time is it all kicking off at on Sunday?

• Advertisement

Kicking off at 12

with Damp conditions, just be patient with us & everything will be sound

Advertisement