Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Up my Weather Website

Options
  • 31-01-2012 8:02pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks ,

I am looking to try and get my website up and running to have my weather station stats on it but seem to be hitting a brick wall fairly well in the setup :o

The weather station software I am using is Culumus and I am following there guide on how to set up a simple website

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Simple_Website_setup

There is 3 files to upload to my FTP server and a folder but I am getting stuck at the folder section ,

In the above guide it says to upload the folder which in turn will take all the files over but when I click the folder it brings me into the files, the only way I can see to upload the folder is to zip it but then I cant see any way to unzip the folder on the ftp server ?

Also in the pic below , is my host name my web address or is it ftp://username:password@domain.ie

190774.png
    Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What FTP software are you using? If you use something like Filezilla you'll get one pane showing what's on your PC and you'll get another pane showing what's on your FTP server. You can then just select whatever files and/or folders you need and drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste them over.
    Also in the pic below , is my host name my web address or is it ftp://username:password@domain.ie

190774.png
    Thanks for any help it will be greatly appreciated :D

Assuming you got a standard web hosting account somewhere, you should have got an email with the FTP details. You could probably just use [noparse]ftp://ftp.yourdomain.ie[/noparse], but possibly not. The username and password should not be part of the host address, they should only go into their own boxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

stevenmu wrote: »
    What FTP software are you using? If you use something like Filezilla you'll get one pane showing what's on your PC and you'll get another pane showing what's on your FTP server. You can then just select whatever files and/or folders you need and drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste them over.

Assuming you got a standard web hosting account somewhere, you should have got an email with the FTP details. You could probably just use [noparse]ftp://ftp.yourdomain.ie[/noparse], but possibly not. The username and password should not be part of the host address, they should only go into their own boxes.

Hi Steve ,

Cheers for the reply,

I was using FTP free extension for Chrome ,

I download filezilla but it was looking for a server name , Port no and admin password.

The server name I presume is my domain name ? I dont have a clue what the port no is and the admin password again I presume is my password that was provided by host Ireland.

Yep I have all the details from my host provider in the email sent

Thanks again

Yep, the server name is the same as the host, it's probably just "ftp.yourdomain.ie" or else maybe just "yourdomain.ie". If you leave the port number blank that should be ok, it'll just use the default which is 21. Then it should just need the user name and password and it'll connect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yep, the server name is the same as the host, it's probably just "ftp.yourdomain.ie" or else maybe just "yourdomain.ie". If you leave the port number blank that should be ok, it'll just use the default which is 21. Then it should just need the user name and password and it'll connect.

Thats great cheers ,

Il try and get my head around Filezilla tonight.

No problem, let us know how it goes, the more place to watch the snowpocalypse (*crosses fingers*) the better :)

• Advertisement

Im getting stuck here :o

190826.png

Is that filezilla? Have you tried using "ftp.vim.ie" (I think your screen shot says vim.ie,can't quite make it out)

Is that filezilla? Have you tried using "ftp.vim.ie" (I think your screen shot says vim.ie,can't quite make it out)

I am using filezilla,

Changed it to the ftp.vim.ie

but getting two different errors when I use port 21 , its says I am more than likely using the wrong port,

The port section can not be left blank so I put it in as 1 but now Im getting a error , connection to server lost

190830.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

At this point its probably best to consult your host's documentation or support department to find out the correct details to enter.

At this point its probably best to consult your host's documentation or support department to find out the correct details to enter.

Will do , cheers for trying anyway folks :)

Thanks again for your time .

EDIT : The embarrassment , have just realized I downloaded the server edition rather than the client !!!

• Advertisement

Really sorry to be bothering people again , but I think I am nearly there in setting my site up ,

I have set up a new directory on the site which will hold my weather page /pp11sweather/

But when I go into www.vim.ie/pp11sweather I just get an index of everything I have uploaded onto the site .

My weather software is uploading to the site as it is reporting no errors back to me and goes through the process without any faults.

Would you have any idea what I could be doing wrong ?

Thanks again for the help

There needs to be some type of HTML file there to be opened by the browser to display the flash content (the flash content is in the .swf file). I'd noticed there was none in the instructions, but guessed the software would create it's own one, but apparantly it doesn't.

The HTML to show just the basic flash content itself would be pretty simple. You could try copying the below into a new file called "default.html" and try uploading that with ftp and see if that works.
    <html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/swfobject/2.2/swfobject.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
       swfobject.embedSWF("http://www.vim.ie/pp11sweather/CumulusRealtime.swf", "weatherswf", "600", "480", "9.0.0");
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="weatherswf">
       <p>Weather should show here</p>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

Actually I just looked again at the instructions you linked above, it says to check that there is a file called "default.htm". Have you already got that file somewhere?

edit: read through the instructions one more time, they're not very clear at all, but it may be that there's more files in the "webfiles" folder that need to be uploaded. If there are, I'd suggest uploading all of them.

There needs to be some type of HTML file there to be opened by the browser to display the flash content (the flash content is in the .swf file). I'd noticed there was none in the instructions, but guessed the software would create it's own one, but apparantly it doesn't.

The HTML to show just the basic flash content itself would be pretty simple. You could try copying the below into a new file called "default.html" and try uploading that with ftp and see if that works.
    <html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/swfobject/2.2/swfobject.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
       swfobject.embedSWF("http://www.vim.ie/pp11sweather/CumulusRealtime.swf", "weatherswf", "600", "480", "9.0.0");
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="weatherswf">
       <p>Weather should show here</p>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

I had noticed something in the instructions about an index.htm file ,

It says to delete a index.html file,

il try what you have suggested in the post below,

Cheers

Sorted ,

One of the folks from here had PM'd me and looked into it , the index.htm file just needed to be moved into the pp11sweather directory

Thank you all so much for your help.

Peter

Looks good, there might be some more htm files you need to move to get the links at the bottom working.

Looks good, there might be some more htm files you need to move to get the links at the bottom working.

Cheers Steve,

There all working bar the forum one I think ,

Well they are on my machine , so I presume there working overall.

But if not let me know and Il go and have a little play about

Advertisement