Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month needles?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

ok so my son is now 14 months and still hasn't had his 12 month needles he has been sick on and off like runny nose high temperature

but i cant bring myself to bring him hes had his 3, 6 and 9 months ones and his 9 month ones did it for me.
    3 in the legs my heart i was even crying myself

now the thoughts of bringing him again breaks my heart i cant do it and id hate for me not to be there if his dad brought him kwim?

anyone feel like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I don't want to come across as harsh, I would certainly get the vaccinations for my daughter if I could, but it just needs to be done. It is in their best interest in terms of health and developing immunity to these diseases that can be devastating to a family.

My daughter is 14 months old and is fully up to date with her vaccines. The way I see it is to get them out of the way when they are smaller and don't remember it. The pain is only for a few moments and a little tenderness afterwards in most cases it is nothing more severe than that. After the 13month lot there are no more needed until they get to school age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lisar816, I see from another post this is your third and youngest child so surely at this stage you'd be pragmatic and experienced enough to know that the tears stop after a minute or so. My son is due his 12 month jabs now and as soon as he's feeling better we're going to get them. The fear of contracting measles or mumps is motivation enough to get it over with.

I certain don't enjoy bringing him or watching him scream and I'm very teary myself when it's happening but I also believe it's for his own good and my role as parent is to be strong for him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It is horrible to see them getting the jabs, of course it is.. but imagine how many needles and worse (tubes etc) your child would be subjected to if s/he caught some horrible disease like meningitis or even the measles which is going around at the moment..

You have to be cruel to be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

oh yes he is definitely getting them without a doubt i should have put that in my original post its just getting down there

yes my other two have got there needles but my youngest seems to be worse like he is up all night after them well he has been the last 3 times

i know i will bring him down tomorrow and get them over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Future Baby

Does anyone know if my newborn baby didnt get his BCG till he was nearly 7 weeks old, does this hold up his dates to get his 2 month, 4month ect.. injections, he didnt get his BCG the week he was born as I was discharged on a Thursday, if I was in that Friday he would have got it, and was told cause there is BABY BOOM / Cut Back in Staff,there is a delay in babies getting their injections!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son got his bcg at 7 weeks as the coombe didnt do them anymore. So our phn advised to wait two weeks for the 2 month vacs. After that he got them when they were due

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

My littl man just got his 6 month ones last month(at 7 months old) and they were only late because of xmas and i couldnt get an appointment over the holidays. I know where your coming from. When he got 3 huge needles jabbed into his little legs the look of pain on his face literally felt like a stab in the heart....but it has to be done. The couple of seconds he cried for and the slight crankiness for a day or 2 would be nothing for me, or him, compared to him actually catching one of these diseases and battling for his life on a ventilator and attached to a million tubes and wires. My niece got menangitis as 6 weeks old and almost died. Thankgod she pulled through and is not almost a year old and thrving but il never forget how awful that time was for all of us, not to metion my sil. These infections and diseases are out there and they are a real threat so i urge you to bring your little girl in and be done with it. As far as i know this would be her llast one untill she is in school so you may as well get it over with. No point coming this far and getting all the rest done and not the last one for a few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

OP you didnt have to get 3 needles done at once. you could have got 2 done then go back a week later for the last one. The nurse told me she had so many parents who just wanted 3 done at once cos it suited them not to have to take the time to come back. She couldnt understand why parents would do this. Also could your partner go with you? and perhaps you could be in the room when its happening and let your husband hold the baby. I know its awful. It makes my mind boggle , they can do heart transplants these days but they cannot invent a less painful way for babies to have injections.

Advertisement