Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY subject choice SOS!

• 31-01-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Need help i'm in TY and am making my subject choices Wednesday or Thursday. I want to do something in Audio Engineering after school (studio work). I have decide to do Art and Biology so that's 2/4 choices ( i have two left.) I don't enjoy French and it is not needed in my course requirements.The only thing i am worried about is if it will hinder my chances of getting into a English college.I didn't do music in Junior Cert and have been advised against starting now. I am also in pass Maths and havn't always been a fan of numbers.So I am struggling to decide between Geography, Physics ,and French. I would take Pass Physics if i was struggling. All i really want to know is if dropping French would destroy my chances of an english college or university? Any help would be much appreciated !( ASAP!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

If you want to study any form of audio or music technology, then a background in music is very useful-- even if you just play an instrument yourself outside of school (I only started learning music theory in First Year and kept it up all through second level, and found it very helpful for AIT's HC in Business with Music and Instrument Technology. If you have sufficient competence with music theory, from piano lessons for example, you could chance it.).

Some level of acoustics are usually covered in such courses, so some physics is helpful as acoustics are part of this area. I can't tell you about an English third level institute, but the likes of NUI Maynooth and University of Limerick require a B3 in pass/Ordinary level Maths-- AIT just requires the relevant points and a D3 in five subjects including Maths and a language. Maths is an integral part of sound unfortunately, but I'm equally bad with them unless the formulae are beaten into me (thankfully most electrical and acoustic calculations work to a uniform formula! :D)

French would only be necessary for a university, AFAIK. I studied German at LC level only because I had my heart set on Maynooth's Music Tech course (but ended up in AIT and couldn't have been happier!).

The best advice I can give you is to do the subjects that you enjoy and are good at- or at least willing to work at.

Advertisement