Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover the plants with hay-its gonna be freezing

Options
  • 31-01-2012 8:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Best to get your fragile plants covered over with either hay,hessian or white fleece fabric.Or perhaps take them indoors (if you can).
    The next few nights,from tonight onwards are gonna be freezing cold with severe ground frost expected.

Regards.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Where does someone in a city get hay? A pet shop maybe? I was thinking of putting down that decorative stuff people put on flower beds. Looks like chipping of some sort, would that help? Or maybe a load of compost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dory wrote: »
    Where does someone in a city get hay? A pet shop maybe? I was thinking of putting down that decorative stuff people put on flower beds. Looks like chipping of some sort, would that help? Or maybe a load of compost?

Pet shop,diy shop like Woodies or BnQ for a bag of hay.

Bark chip/bark mulch will also help keep the frost off the soil,but it all depends on how harsh the weather is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hay could be full of grass and other seeds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Well my girlfriend has done this trick with hay/straw for years on allotments and in various gardens with various plants,and never a problem with grass seeda or any other seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

EvilMonkey wrote: »

agree, hay is full if seeds, it should be straw. I use the ashes from the fire on my lillies, works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have read that it should be straw rather than hay because of seeds. Try adverts.ie. Often see farmers advertising bales very cheaply.

Advertisement