Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract but no break clause ...

Options
  • 31-01-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I'm about to sign a 12-month lease on a house. The contract does not seem to contain a break clause. Everything else seems in order. The agent/landlord seems like a very decent person.

I am asking what people think about taking this without a break clause in the contract. Of course, I have full intention of staying there for the duration, but in these times, nothing is 100% certain.

I understand the situation around 'assigning' new tenants, giving notice if refused, and I believe if a landlord and tenant agree to a break mutually giving adequate notice (and in writing), this is also OK.

I just would hate to lose the deposit. I'd like to transfer the deposit tonight, so any rapid-fire advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I've never heard of a 12 month contract having a break clause to be honest. I would reckon your contract is fairly run of the mill by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If you will feel better with a break clause, ask for one and make sure you understand when it is applicable.
    The landlord may say OK, he may say No or he may raise the rent to reflect the possibility of the lease coming to a premature end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

number10a wrote: »
    I've never heard of a 12 month contract having a break clause to be honest. I would reckon your contract is fairly run of the mill by the sounds of it.

My last contract had a break clause after 6 (thankfully as i couldnt wait to leave after the 6 months...) That was actually offered to me; I didnt ask for it. No harm inasking the question though.

Advertisement