Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time player of "GTA"

Options
  • 31-01-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Never played GTA before, and was hoping to get in to it. Couple of questions, if anyone out there would care to answer them, I would appreciate it.

1. Where should I start - There are many games in the series - Should I go for the latest or go back a few in the series ?

2. If I wanted my Son to play - Is it possible to turn off inappropriate language / nudity or not ?

3. Any recommendations where I should purchase - Online or Gamestop etc .. Would like to buy new if I could.

I would not be a big gamer - just a couple of nights a week. We have a PS3.
    Many thanks all, for your comments.

Tom. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

1. Where should I start - There are many games in the series - Should I go for the latest or go back a few in the series ?
    GTA Vice City

2. If I wanted my Son to play - Is it possible to turn off inappropriate language / nudity or not ?
    You cant turn off the language and there is only suggested sexuality no nudity unless you mod it

3. Any recommendations where I should purchase - Online or Gamestop etc .. Would like to buy new if I could.
    Online would be easier to find.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'm gonna back up Temptamperu with GTA Vice City. It's possibly the most inappropriate too, but I haven't played in a while there so could be wrong.
    If you don't go for Vice City, the next best would be San Andreas. Both are amazing.

San Andreas is a little bit newer, so you might prefer that if you've been playing new games.

Can't change the content for kids.

Online should be a handy way to pick them up for a reasonable price.

Enjoy!! It really is a great series. In fact all the PS2 era ones were really stand out games, far above par for many games at the time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I assume San Andreas is available for download on PS3? Also heard that 3 and Vice City are heading the way of a HD remake. Wait and get them, start with 3 is what I'd do. If you're casual you'd get a lot of mileage out of probably modest pricing (probably bout a tenner each) for them. IV is a different game to the first 3 though in a lot of ways so starting with that wouldn't hinder you, but you'd be missing out on some excellent games.

what age is your son? Anything over 12 I'd say would be grand, it's just bad language and guns, though people have gotten very sensitive to exposing their children to that in recent years. The older ones, especially 3 and Vice City have very little in the way of profanity and are more satirical than anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I would very strongly urge you also consider Saints Row 2 if you are going the grand theft auto route. Certainly they are to many superior games to GTA 4 but vice city and san andreas are absolute gems, with GTA3 well worth a look.

As said most sex nudity is implied and there is strong language, depends on the age of the kid, for me personally I wouldn't like someone under 15 or 16 playing it. But thats a parents call not mine or for me to judge someone for.

Oh GTA 3 is available for about 4 quid on android and ipad plays well if you can hack the touch screen controls,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Start with GTA III, it's 10 years old but it's where it all started!

Then move to Vice City and then San Andreas!

Word of warning though when you move from San Andreas to GTA IV! GTA IV's story is more realistic and doesn't include a lot of "fun" activities from San Andreas....

...but the story is amazing!

tldr:

GTA III
    Vice City
    San Andreas
    GTA IV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

TomPetty wrote: »

I also agree that Vice City is the best in the series. But its nearly a 10 year old game. You wont experience it the same way most of us did. You are better of getting GTA4. Its cheap now.

If you are worried about the violence? well the older gta games (gta3/vice city.. even SA) can be kinda seen as 'cartoonie' now compared to GTA4 and upcoming GTA5. But content is the same. So if he plays one, he might as play them all :pac:

Long story, short. GTA4 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Vice City is excellent, scarface in graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Vice City is the best !
    As above, it's basically Scarface / Carlitos Way with Italian mobsters (Excellent voice acting from Ray Liotta and co)
    A contender for greatest soundtrack of any game ever.

I still have vivid memories of driving along to Crocketts Theme in a "Deluxo" , basically a DeLorean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Lance Vance!

Oh better days....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Vice City is the best, but you should start with 3 to get into the series, then be properly blown away by how amazing Vice City was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

If I wanted my Son to play - Is it possible to turn off inappropriate language / nudity or not ?

There is no nudity...unless you get San Andreas, and hack it to access the Hot Coffee mod...in which case there still isn't any nudity. But this is a game where you can gleefully mown down pedestrians, chuckle as you watch people engulfed in fireballs flail around, and beat old ladies to death with dildos; if I was a parent I wouldn't be so concerned about nudity and "language"! If you're particularly bothered by that kind of stuff, then I'd suggest GTA-like western Red Dead Redemption as an alternative.

But I'd recommend GTA IV myself; looking back on the others, I think the cars handle like Dinky Toys in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Thanks a million all for your fantastic replies.
    So by the sounds of things if I want good crack, I should get San Andreas / Vice City, but for better Graphics etc I should go for GTA 4. Decisions decisions ..
    Saw a great deal on Amazon for "Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, a compilation of the 2 DLCs "
    What do they mean by "2DLC's" ?
    Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply, Regards,
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

DLC is downloadable content - its pretty much just additional stories\characters that aren't in the "full" game....i'd second Vice City & San Andreas!!

:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd start with Vice City or San Andreas myself - I preferred San Andreas of the 2 as it had a those few extras built in, but both are great games.

I wouldn't bother with 4 - get Saints Row 2 instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kinski wrote: »
    There is no nudity...unless you get San Andreas, and hack it to access the Hot Coffee mod...in which case there still isn't any nudity. But this is a game where you can gleefully mown down pedestrians, chuckle as you watch people engulfed in fireballs flail around, and beat old ladies to death with dildos; if I was a parent I wouldn't be so concerned about nudity and "language"! If you're particularly bothered by that kind of stuff, then I'd suggest GTA-like western Red Dead Redemption as an alternative.

But I'd recommend GTA IV myself; looking back on the others, I think the cars handle like Dinky Toys in comparison.

There is very suggestive scenes in GTA4 though. And I know there's full frontal nudity on the Ballad Of Gay Tony...so keep that one well away from kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You could jump straight into 4 but your better off starting with Vice city or SA as they improved everything for 4 and going back the way would be hard as your expectations would be different.

If they're remaking vice city though I'd go for SA and get the VC remake if your hooked by the time it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hmm as far as atmosphere, story, acting, humour and did I say atmosphere?, goes - Vice City is the one. The Radio Stations are a work of genius.

San Andreas did nothing for me and I thought GTA4 palyability wise is the best...imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

GTA3 10 years old? Well I started playing gta when I was 7 so, and its certainly done me no harm, probably some good since I know how my money back from a hooker now.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

EnterNow wrote: »
    And I know there's full frontal nudity on the Ballad Of Gay Tony...so keep that one well away from kids.

I still think Gay Tony should have been the MPC...I'd love to know how all those people who play GTA cause it's "mature" would have reacted when their character disappeared into the toilets with a lad!

Advertisement