Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear to the Ground 'No farming in it at all'!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

there is a very good programme on utv called rare breeds does anyone know how you can watch it online as utv player doesnt work in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

keep going wrote: »
    maybe milk prices will fall legwax post 2015 but they are going to fall anyway sometime.all that is going to happen is that the eu will become a varible instead of a constant.imo the future of dairying is in family units around 100+cows depending on land blocks with low borrowings and little outside labour.if we are learning anything from killkenny and other places is it seems to be very difficult to repay large borrowings on paid labour.none of these places are paying rent that would buy them so i dont think we will see anyone investing in large blocks to start up dairying.sheelys in new ross has a father +2 sons involved and he is some operater to run their 500+ operation and some labour, and even then he is using wealth he built up previously to help finance it.
    that so called estate is now milking a lot less cows ,well over 100 cows are gone,just to keep you up dated.but you have also confirmed my point no borrowings,and when the parents have to go into a old folks home the 100 cows will be under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

there is a very good programme on utv called rare breeds does anyone know how you can watch it online as utv player doesnt work in ireland

It is a good programme plenty of 'real' farmers on it, to use the utv player down here you need to use a proxy server, if you google it there are plenty of free one's advailable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do you know legwax,how do you get out of bed in the morning you find misery no matter what the storymaybe if yer lucky yer parents might die early:rolleyes:yeah thats castle anagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

keep going wrote: »
    do you know legwax,how do you get out of bed in the morning you find misery no matter what the storymaybe if yer lucky yer parents might die early:rolleyes:yeah thats castle anagh
    father is dead and you couldnt kill my mother:rolleyes:.but i was only pointing out the diff between ire and nz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

i thought it was an excellent show last night- hard work is rewarded very well, which is a great incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

leg wax wrote: »
    father is dead and you couldnt kill my mother:rolleyes:.but i was only pointing out the diff between ire and nz.
    ah yeah only messing

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

stanflt wrote: »
    i thought it was an excellent show last night- hard work is rewarded very well, which is a great incentive.
    your brother`s doing well,different cows than at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

Just watched the program back on RTE player and have to say it was very good,more like that and I think ETTG would have a loyal following.
    Not wanting to stray off topic but a point that came across alot in the program was the work hard ethic of the Kiwi's.
    Now while I only spent 2 years working there I did get to know quite alot of farmers through my work and I have to say they were far from hard working,in fact some of the most laid back and in ways lazy I have ever met.
    Before I went I was told they were a hardworking race and the work hard play hard line was thrown in all too often.
    Play hard yes,but work hard noooooo.
    Thats what the Irish are there for :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Just watched the program back on RTE player and have to say it was very good,more like that and I think ETTG would have a loyal following.
    Not wanting to stray off topic but a point that came across alot in the program was the work hard ethic of the Kiwi's.
    Now while I only spent 2 years working there I did get to know quite alot of farmers through my work and I have to say they were far from hard working,in fact some of the most laid back and in ways lazy I have ever met.
    Before I went I was told they were a hardworking race and the work hard play hard line was thrown in all too often.
    Play hard yes,but work hard noooooo.
    Thats what the Irish are there for :D

what did you think of thier employment and managerial culture , i thought it was awfull , bosses seemed to think thier employes should be eternally gratefull for tossing any kind of a peanut wage in thier direction , staff are not treated well over there IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

irishh_bob wrote: »
    what did you think of thier employment and managerial culture , i thought it was awfull , bosses seemed to think thier employes should be eternally gratefull for tossing any kind of a peanut wage in thier direction , staff are not treated well over there IMO
    Ehhhh hard to say really,I actually enjoyed working for them in general but I have to say when your fresh off the plane there are alot of employers there who are willing to take advantage of your situation in the hope they will land a "resident gimp" who will work all the hours given and not question the wage.
    Have to say that was me until I saw the light and changed jobs and was more aware of the way things work over there.
    If you are willing to stay long term there you can pretty much call your wage and conditions as from what I could see the Kiwi's were looking for 2 types of workers . . . . the greenhorn who is stopping off for some seasonal work,he/she will get bad pay and generally taken advantage of as they know you wont be around next year or the person who has moved there long term.Do a few months,show them you are capable and serious about staying and I found thy will treat you well and pay well also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

good enough last night, interesting, thats it now till the autumn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

whelan1 wrote: »
    good enough last night, interesting, thats it now till the autumn

Yep Whelan enjoyed last nights program thought Michael the sheep man had some bunch of key's on his belt :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

thought the new zealand one was good, but 10-15 minutes about saorview was brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I rather liked the two minutes it showed of your man belting the aerial into the gable of the house and putting the drill back in the case :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement